How far is 1500 feet?

beejay&esskay

quote:
1,500 FEET WEST OF THE EAST LINE OF SECTION 21, T 16 N, R 14 E, AT THE DWELLING KNOWN AS GRAY GABLES

JZ1199

The dwelling is long gone. I suspect when they recorded "1500 feet", they didn't measure that exactly, since it would have been easy to find the benchmark next to the house.

So, what's the +/- when someone says 1500 feet? +/-100 feet?

quote:
How far is 1500 feet?

457.2 meters

0.28 miles

They don't say its approximate so I would assume it must have been accurate but there is no way of telling. Can you locate the section line in the field? Center of road, fence line etc?

That mark is going to be hard to locate with no witnesses remaining. If the area has been graded the mark could be gone with the bldg.?

The section line is on a county road, so I know "exactly" where 1500 feet should be.

The whole area is now an abandoned factory. The house probably stood in what is now the front lawn of the factory.

I'm not expecting to find a "four foot post" there. I drive by there frequently and unless they cleverly converted that post to a stand for one of the floodlights out front, it's gone.

But I'll go do a diligent search (and check those floodlights, even if they aren't exactly 457.2 m from the section line icon_smile.gif)