iPhone OFFLINE caching

Amberel

I'm still in the process of trying to migrate my apps from Windows Mobile to iPhone, and I'm struggling to get even halfway comparable utility. One priority is an offline caching application that has both offline maps and offline cache data. The reason I want it to be offline is twofold. Firstly, it is common, even usual, for me not to have phone coverage when I'm caching. Secondly, I have data roaming turned off so I don't incur crippling roaming charges when I'm abroad.

I should make it clear here that I will normally have with me a GPSr that is rather more accurate than the iPhone device, but I would like to be able to use the iPhone for navigating between caches and for checking the cache pages.

On Windows Mobile I have a selection of excellent apps.

I have OziExplorer, which allows me to generate maps of wherever I am going, and to which GSAK exports cache data.

I have MemoryMap Navigator, which allows me to use both OS Maps in the UK, and my own calibrated maps elsewhere. This links to CacheMate for first class offline cache data. GSAK exports to both MemoryMap and CacheMate.

Being able to duplicate the function of either of these solutions would be very acceptable.

On the iPhone I have purchased the Groundspeak iPhone app, MotionXGPS, OffMaps and, of course, the paid for version of MemoryMap.

In about the last 20 caching expeditions I've used the Groundspeak app for just 2 caches. It's useful if you unexpectedly find yourself in an area and don't have offline cache data available, provided, of course, that you are fortunate enough to be in phone reception. Compared with any other app I've used it is very cumbersome for actually finding the cache. But as a general purpose solution for me it falls down completely because (AFAIK) 1) I can't store maps offline, and 2) I can't load a GSAK GPX file.

I've run both MotionXGPS and OffMaps, but frankly I can't see that either of them go any way whatsover towards what I want to do, and for the moment I've even deleted them from the machine.

MemoryMap comes closest, but it's still a long way off. The paid for app allows me to load my OS maps, and they look good. It allows me to load my GSAK GPX export, and I see the waypoints, but they don't show any cache details other than the location. They link to the cache page, but as I've said before that is useless as often as not because I'm abroad or not in phone coverage.

And this evening I've generated my own maps of Chamonix ready for tomorrows ski-trip, only to find that the iPhone version won't allow maps I create myself! Edited to say that I've sorted this out, the calibration process had put the calibrated map in the Program Files directory instead of the data directory, I can now at least see my maps and waypoints, though I won't be able to download the details.

This is very frustrating. Just like last time I went abroad, I shall be leaving the iPhone behind and taking my old but very capable and trusty Windows Mobile phone. Unless at the last minute I can find some way that lets me do this on the iPhone.

Has anyone got any experience of apps that might help me, please?

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

I've got a ipod touch and sometime use it with offline geocache details that I get before hand using greasemonkey script GC Tour, free windows software Bullzip to print to pdf and free ipod app Discover to view the pdf on the touch. Works very well

Follow this visual walkthrough I've done of what to do on the windows side:-

http://screenjel.ly/watch/QNfBVECu11g

software used:-

Firefox browser

Greasemonkey plugin for firefox

GCTour greasemonkey script

Bullzip - http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

Discover - http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...416855&mt=8

I've got a ipod touch and sometime use it with offline geocache details that I get before hand using greasemonkey script GC Tour, free windows software Bullzip to print to pdf and free ipod app Discover to view the pdf on the touch. Works very well

Follow this visual walkthrough I've done of what to do on the windows side:-

http://screenjel.ly/watch/QNfBVECu11g

software used:-

Firefox browser

Greasemonkey plugin for firefox

GCTour greasemonkey script

Bullzip - http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

Discover - http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...416855&mt=8

Many thanks for that. I've looked at your video and understood what I can about it, but it's quite tricky to work out what is doing what. Would it be right to say that the GCTour plugin downloads the files, BullZip creates the PDF and Discover transfers them to the iPhone and displays them?

It's fairly (actually very) important that I be able to generate this file from GSAK rather than having to go to Groundspeak every time. That's because of the way I organise my PQs to give me complete 55 mile radius coverage of my home by basing the PQs on published date, but then exporting from GSAK for whatever I want at that point. What format would I have to export them from GSAK in?

How does this solution scale? The demo showed half a dozen caches. Normally I want to have anything between 500 and 3000 caches in my portable offline database at any one time, does it still work smoothly with these volumes?

How does it link with maps and geocache waypoints on the map?

When browsing in the field:

Can you go direct to a particular cache?

Can you navigate around each cache with hot links, e.g. from description to previous logs?

Can you write cache notes in the field?

Does it hot link with maps in either or both directions, i.e. can you click a marked cache waypoint on a map and go to that page, and can you go from the cache page to show a waypoint an a map?

There are a few things I'm not too keen on with the collection of apps. I got rid of Greasemonkey some time ago after it caused me several nuisance issues with auto updating. I'd put it back if the benefits were really great, but not otherwise.

If I found the correct app in the App store, it seems that Discover is full of advertisments, which I don't fancy at all. Again, if the solution was really effective I don't mind buying the app to get rid of the ads, but I need to understand the solution much better first.

Thanks again for the assistance,

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Have you checked through the iPhone forum? I don't visit there as I hardly use the iPhone app now (particularly after trying today and being told my account needed validating AGAIN!)..... there may be someone there who's trying the same thing?

Chris (MrB)

Thanks Chris, it never ocurred to me that there might be an iPhone forum :rolleyes: .I'll check it out.

Rgds, Andy

I have now purchased Geosphere, which seems to be a good offline cache database. But it's no good for offline maps - you can cache them, but that's FAR too hit and miss to be any use.

This means with the combination of MemoryMap for maps and Geosphere for caches I have the functions I need, but they are not interactive, which remains a really major disadvantage.

So I'm still listening for integrated solutions :rolleyes: .

Rgds, Andy