Should I be bothered by this

I placed a cache recently (GC27294) and made it pretty easy. Today I got a log from a cacher who found it and basically complained about the hide saying it was too easy. I did make it a 1 star difficulty, and intended it to be this way. Then they removed something from the cache and left nothing, even stating this in their log of the find. Sorry for the rant on this, it just kinda rubbed me the wrong way today.

I placed a cache recently (GC27294) and made it pretty easy. Today I got a log from a cacher who found it and basically complained about the hide saying it was too easy. I did make it a 1 star difficulty, and intended it to be this way. Then they removed something from the cache and left nothing, even stating this in their log of the find. Sorry for the rant on this, it just kinda rubbed me the wrong way today.

Something happened like that to me awhile ago, only the cacher complained it was too difficult. He took a small electric fan and left nada. I went to check on it and found the wrapper at gz. Just let it go, it happens only occasionally.

Some people are just *insert adjective here.* His kharma will come back to haunt him. Who knows? Maybe he'll go in search of a "really hard" cache and fall into poison ivy, and then he'll complain that his cache was too hard.

I say, follow your inner warrant officer... have a cup of coffee, shrug your shoulders at the bad behavior of "some people's kids," and then go make fun a 2LT.

Same thing happened at one of my geocaches. A very experienced geocacher found the D1 geocache, asked in the log to hide in better and gave the mega spoiler as well.

Translation:

"The big tree trunk. Please hide it better, otherwise okay.Thanks"

It is D1, so I don't care for the spoiler. But I will modify all my geocache to Premium Member Only caches soon. Within the last couple of weeks all the spoiler and stupid logs were by newbies, who aren't PM yet. It's a bit of a German thing to try to get as much as possible for free, something I don't want to support.

Still I'm somewhat proud that I got the "otherwise okay" by this wise-guy.

GermanSailor

You just cannot make everybody happy all the time. It is impossible.

Don't believe it? Just ask Obama, Bush, Lincoln, Ghandi, MLK, Churchill, Thatcher and so on... You just cannot do it.

You wanted to make a 1-star and you did so. It is his problem, not yours. He didn't have to go for it.

Let it go and be at peace with yourself for at least trying. ;)

Today I got a log from a cacher who found it and basically complained about the hide saying it was too easy.

Aren't caches meant to be found ;)

Just glancing at the log entry, it appears that he's a bit miffed about loosing a spot where he wanted to hide a cache himself. Oh well, tough luck fella ;)

Good luck with the cache!

It was a brand new geocacher from the looks of it (account created yesterday). Hopefully they'll realize what they did soon.
Exactly! Only 5 finds, every one found today. Sheesh!!

Besides, the comment:

"It's an easy find. Too easy IMO. I would consider some other method of camouflaging this cache to help it blend into the surroundings better. "
really isn't that bad. Its just an opinion. If anything, it only makes him look small. Edited by knowschad

It would rub me the wrong way too. Ignore it.

Looking at the username, any chance you had a run-in with another cacher recently?

Thanks for the replies. I decided to let this roll off my back. Not worth getting upset over! I'm happy with where my cache is, and I'm going to leave it just the way it is. Thanks for helping me keep my head screwed on straight! Now I have warrant officer business to attend to. Somewhere there is a coffee pot calling my name. :rolleyes:

Like I said above, this appears to be a very new geocacher. If that is the case (and not a sock puppet account) I hope people will cut him some slack.

You can read a statement multiple ways.

All I can say is you snooze you lose. The very day this cache was placed I was telling (removed) I was going to sign up for an account on this site and hide a cache at this location. It's an easy find. Too easy IMO. I would consider some other method of camouflaging this cache to help it blend into the surroundings better. I took the Snuggle's bear for our little miracle girl, but left nothing. TFTC

One possible interpretation : I'm worried that this one is very visible and that it might be muggled.

As for the "took snuggles, left nothing", well, I'd write it off to ignorance.

Edited by Chrysalides

I would delete his find. He took something and left nothing. And bragged about it. I'd leave a note "took find and left nothing" TFFI (thanks for finding it)

So mean! but so tempting :rolleyes:

Indeed.. the things I might want to do and the things I do are very often different.

I think evil thoughts daily but don't react upon them... I admit it.. I am a conformist.

I read his other FOUR logs. He sounds like he thinks he a seasoned veteran. He went as far as to say on his 2nd find

"The coordinates were dead on which is a first for my GPS."
He basically complained that the others weren't hidden well either.

Definitely not worth losing any sleep over.

You put out a cache with an intentional 1 star difficulty rating. 1 star is as easy as it gets. He was quite capable of seeing the difficulty rating before going out to find your cache.

What about 1 star difficulty did he not understand? Those are supposed to be easy to find. Hey, sometimes folks want to hide one that's easy for kids to find.

If he is not happy seeking easy hides, he should steer away from 1 stars.

Be happy with your hide and disregard people who are their own worst enemy.

Your hide is about 160 miles from me. My boys and I might find it some day and they will appreciate the location and the smiley they get for being there and it'll all be because of you! It's hard to take criticsm. Maybe this guy was saying it was too easy, thinking it would be found by a muggle. If so, he could have said it differently. Anyway, hang in there, you hid it, rated it, created it the way you wanted to, forget him. :rolleyes:

I think it's right to rub you the wrong way.

First, a 1 star difficulty means that it's either in a obvious place or in plain sight without any camouflage. A florescent orange converted mailbox marked "GEOCACHE" comes to mind. It's as easy as you can get.

Second, the idea of a "cache" is trading, not just taking. Unless instructed to do so by the cache owner, it's rude to take something of value and leave nothing with like value in the cache. See my tag line for my favorite notion on the idea. Cleaning out trash is one thing, but trading is a core concept of the hobby.

This not new though. It's been a complaint ever since we started in the hobby a few years back. While some simply through up their hands in exasperation, I like to stand firm with the core concepts of the hobby. I personally will not place harder caches because someone complained a cache was too easy any more than I will make a cache easier simply because someone complained it was too hard. Nor will I start placing non-trading caches simply because a few folks are selfish and won't trade kindly.

Welcome to the hobby and the wonderful life of a cache owner.

There is no point in being offended - you are getting some feedback about your cache and if he thinks it is too easy you should consider what he says for a count of one and think about it and evaluate. If you get several think some more. If you have been at Geo-Caching for a while then you pretty well know about the rating. When placing a new cache I ask finders to comment on the rating just to get an opinion - they are usually well intended and I may chose to agree or not agree.

The taking and not giving should be addressed - I have done that and later returned to even up my trade.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

Ahhh, but there's more!

April 21 by purplegirl81 (51 found)

Found this cache on my way to work. Here4aShorTime and I passed this location on the way home from dinner the other night and said what a great place it would be to hide a cache. At any rate, SL and TN, but left a Barbie book since my other half forgot to leave something when he took something. TFTC!!

His post was a bit rude. I thought this one was also considering at the time this person logged the DNF on one of our caches they had 2 finds.

Couldn't find it where it was supposed to be.

Was the log rude or are you being too sensitive? Just saying. Everyone commands respect these days and if you don't give it to them...

"couldn't find it where it was supposed to be" ??????

LOLOLOL That's priceless!!!!

So why didn't you hide it where I thought it should be hidden????

I've thought that a lot at caches!! LOL!! I'd certainly never admit it to anyone though. (oops, just did)

I've got a cache hidden in the woods that the terrain makes GPS reception tough.

I've made the hint a spoiler to keep the woods from getting trashed.

I've had TONS of people make notes like:

"My first find!! Thank you for one I could find!!"

Or "my child's first find! You should have seen the look on his face!"

Wait until you get some of these. Makes it easy to ignore the snarky ones.

Ones like these are the only ones that matter.