Iphone 3GS

VE3XMS

Well hit the trail for my first GEO hunt only to find that the IPhone 3GS is real poor on battery so pack a charger, I have an external battery pack for mine so I suggest you do the same or you will find the battery is good for about 45 min of use because it uses not only the GPS but also the 3G network to update the screen. Keep in mind the 3G Data as well or you may get a surprise bill, I have a 6gig plan so no worry for me.

I actually don't mind the battery life THAT much on the iPhone. I did at first because my previous phone, Samsung Blackjack, lasted me days whereas the iPhone just gives me a good solid 1 day use.

I do have to make sure I charge it while I drive around just to make sure it will last me through the day if I am geocaching.

How to increase iPhone battery life for geoaching:

- Set the phone to forward calls to another number.

- Turn OFF 3G networking.

- Set screen brightness to lowest usable level.

- Put into Airplane mode when you're not actively using it.

- Or turn it off!

I know some of those ideas run counter to what people have come to expect from a cellphone or GPS -- but if you can work one or more of those tricks into your caching habits, your battery can last a lot longer.

Well hit the trail for my first GEO hunt only to find that the IPhone 3GS is real poor on battery so pack a charger, I have an external battery pack for mine so I suggest you do the same or you will find the battery is good for about 45 min of use because it uses not only the GPS but also the 3G network to update the screen. Keep in mind the 3G Data as well or you may get a surprise bill, I have a 6gig plan so no worry for me.

Caching with a smartphone just isn't worth it to me because of many reasons, this being one of the big reasons. Not to mention being dependent on data for mapping. Its just all around sketchy at best.

I know from experience too as I own a 3g iphone with the Geocaching app. Compared to my stand alone gpsrs, the iphone sucks horribly.

Do yourself a favor and get an outdoor GPSr. You can get them for cheap these days and you'll find that geocaching is much funner with one. :)

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000
Question on turning it off: You mean putting its screen to sleep, right?
No, I meant turning it OFF.

I know that's too drastic for a lot of folks. I just put it out there as an option for those folks who travel a long way between caches. It wouldn't be an options for anyone who needs to be talking on the phone, listening to music, or getting turn-by-turn directions every minute along the way.

If you're in that latter group, an external power source is the only option.

...it seems like the batt keeps draining even when asleep...
Depends what you mean by "sleep."

Launch any app that uses the GPS. Leave it running but blank the screen -- and the app is still running, it ain't asleep. This is using power.

Open Mail or Safari, doesn't need to be using the GPS. Don't do anything, just leave them on screen and let the phone go to sleep. The foreground app, even with a blank screen, is still using power.

Got any of your mail accounts set for push notification? Or scheduled fetch? This is using power -- even when the mail program isn't in the foreground.

Got push and fetch turned off, haven't launched ANY apps? Your phone is still on the cellular network constantly -- waiting for call, unless you're forwarding to another number. This is using power.

With that in mind:

1) If you're not expecting (or don't want) to take a call, turn on call forwarding.

2) If you don't need to be online (that is, the phone is in your pocket instead of your hand), put it in Airplane mode.

Those two techniques will give you the biggest extensions of battery life.

Is there an app that will reveal L/L on an iPhone?

Can anyone compare the accuracy of the GPSr in an iPhone with say Nuvis and then hand-held GC-friendly units? Relative comparisons that are subjective really aren't what I'm asking. Can you give comparisons using Long/Lat results? Judging by the maps on my iPhone 3G.

I'd say they are accurate enough for car travel, but I'm curious as to how much precision there is in the L/L. For example, if a Garmin hand-held has precision of seconds to 6 decimals, what precision does the iPhone 3G have? I read today that the 4G will have L/L coordinates for pics and addresses. Waiting to see about that.

MotionX GPS will

I don't find my 3GS to be that accurate, its around 44ft in the urban areas, you lose more when you go under tree cover or out of service range.

Now mine works great for car navigation, I use the TomTom app and it works perfectly. Can't wait to get my 4G though!

Edited by CortandTrent

The radio chipset it probably using the most battery, turning the iPhone in Airplane mode will greatly improve battery life, aswell as screenbrightness etc.

I can use my GPS for hours with my android phone without any problems, though I only use it for the paperless caching, for finding GZ I have a 60CSx ^^

All touchscreen smartphones have a maximum battery life of 1 hour or so when heavily using the GPS and data. It's the dirty little secret that ALL manufacturers hide when advertising the functionality of their devices.

As other people have suggested, a battery extender would be a wise choice. The best battery extenders have the same form factor as a case. This helps tremendously with usability. In fact, you will just think you have a case an nothing else. :)

Monoprice.com has great prices on these battery extenders.

63011.jpg

Edited by Seedillume