How many of us have Garmins

Recently one of the local caching gods had an event that was a class on Bearings. He did an excellent job and we learned much about it.

At the start of the class he said "Who here doesn't have a Garmin because if you do I can't help you with it". There were a total of 15 and one had a Magellan. Not very scientific but an example of how dominant Garmin is in this field.

I was thinking of going over to Waymarking.com and setting up a locationless cache where you had to post a picture of a cacher using a non-garmin device.

Edited by Walts Hunting
"Who here doesn't have a Garmin because if you do I can't help you with it".

I think that this is a large part of the reason, as well. Many of us learned geocaching from another geocacher. Its much easier helping someone learn to use their new GPSr when its is similar to what we are familiar with. We also tend to buy what we see others using, so popularity breeds popularity.

Garminarian here.

Former Megellanite goin' all the way back to my first GPS 2000 in 1995.

My wife worked at REI when I met her. She insisted I convert to Garminarianism. I did, but even before that, I learned to follow the Garminarians while group cachin'. The Magellan hook is embarrassing in group cachin' situations. ;)

Folks that hunt my Magellan placed caches WITH a Magellan woot spot on coords. Ask Vinny. Folks that hunt My Magellan placed caches with a Garmin sometimes complain that my coords are off. Don't ask me to explain that. Coords are coords right? ;)

I have two, one working, one not working.

I bought one on ebay but it freezes as soon as it has found the satelites. It says ready to navigate but then none of the buttons work. I don't have a computer cable for it either. I bought it for my nephews so they could geo cache. Does anyone know how I can get it fixed as Garmin have not replied to my e mail? It is an e trex H??????

Does anyone know how I can get it fixed as Garmin have not replied to my e mail? It is an e trex H??????

I have no clue if this will help, but you might try a hard reboot.

I found these instructions for a Garmin Vista HCx. Might work the same.

"Hard Reset:

With the unit turned off, press and hold the follow buttons: PAGE + Enter on the click stick. Then press and release the POWER. The unit will power up asking if you want to release all user data. Select yes, and the unit will be reset. After the master reset, place your unit outside, so that it has a clear view of the sky for 25 to 30 minutes for the unit to acquire new almanac data."

I also found this, from Garmin:

"Question: How do I do a master reset on my eTrex?

Answer:

If the eTrex is not responding correctly, for example it is not receiving a satellite signal, it may be necessary to perform a master reset. This can also be used if you want to restore the factory default settings. To reset the device please follow these steps:

Turn off the device

Press PAGE, ENTER and POWER.

You will see a message on the screen that says "Do you really want to erase all user data?". Select Yes.

The device will now reboot, leave it with a clear view of the sky for 30 minutes to acquire the satellite almanac.

Please be aware that a master reset will erase all waypoints or favorites and will restore your device to the default factory settings."

Good luck!

-Sean

Oh... back on topic: First unit was a Garmin 12, Followed by a Magellan SporTrak Color owner. Great unit, so long as I remembered to do the Garmin shift. After it finally died I returned to Garmin, buying a 60CSx, an iQue 3600, an Oregon 300 and a Colorado 400i.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Thanks for your reply. I did all of that but when it comes up with 'are you sure you want to reset' it is held on no and none of the buttons will move to the yes section. It does then say are you indoors but it is stuck on yes and again none of the buttons work as if the unit is stuck/frozen. The only way it can be switched off is by removing the batteries.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help anyway.

Kath

I currently have a Garmin Vista HCX. I am ready to get a new unit or update maps. I don't want to throw down $400-$500 for a new Oregon or Dakota which only hold 1000 caches and still spend another $100 for maps. Garmin has out priced themselves for me. I may be looking at getting the new Magellian Explorist GC which hold 10,000 caches includes maps (non-route able) for only $200. I would eventually get a dedicated car GPS for directions and POI's. Spending $100 for routable maps is no longer something I can stomach when I could get a new car unit for that. I hope that competition or smart phone applications will drive down the cost of the Garmin products.

Did I mention that scrolling through menus on a Garmin sux?

Garmin pretends that it's a PC by opening menus and scrolling to options. Resulting in hidden menus in screens. I should be able to access any menu from any screen!

Why can't I scroll through screens and have access to options in every screen, like a Meridian?

I'm bias. I don't care. The Meridian is the perfect Gpsr, even now. 100% hackable. A little bit of user support made it very versatile.

Oregon or Dakota which only hold 1000 caches

All of the Oregons and Dakotas hold at least 2000 caches with full info as well as 1000 additional waypoints and unlimited POI's.

Some of the Oregons hold 5000 caches.

When I say it holds caches, that's will full cache info, hints, logs, the whole 9 yards, everything you get in a .gpx file or PQ.

I've had 5 Garmins at this point... Been happy with all of them except for the first Colorado, had to get it repaired but replacement (and an additional one) work very well.

Girlfriend that I met while Geocaching had a Megellan unit that was supposed to be "Geocacing" feature-full. It was a complete piece of trash (once you'd gotten within a tenth of a mile, you were on your own for distance).

Convinced her to use my old C60cs for an hour or two and by the end of the day, she'd e-mailed me that she'd ordered a Garmin Oregon.

She's still happy with it to this day.

I have had 6 gps's

The first one was one of the first Magellans-- it sucked

Then we switched to Garmin. That is the only way to go.

12xl

Rino130

etrex vista hcl

Nuvi 260w

Oregon 400t

For serious caching the Nuvi gets me to parking spot nearby then the Oregon is used to find the cache.

My dad had 2 Delorems They seem ok but to me they do not touch a Garmin.

Started with the Vista Cx and upgraded after about a year to the 60 CSx. LOVE IT :)

While it still more than suits my needs, I am already thinking of the next features I'd like:

Bluetooth connectivity between my computer and GPS

Ability to store / read PDF docs

Still have USB connectivity to computer

Bilingual (Windows / Mac)

RUGGED to withstand my bicycle adventures

Cameras are a nonfeature for me; if it has the above, I don't mind toting a camera, but I could be swayed if the camera automatically adds the geotagging coords. To be honest, I figure I'm about two to three years from making a decision, so these features are more of a wish list.

Started with the Vista Cx and upgraded after about a year to the 60 CSx. LOVE IT :)

While it still more than suits my needs, I am already thinking of the next features I'd like:

Cameras are a nonfeature for me; if it has the above, I don't mind toting a camera, but I could be swayed if the camera automatically adds the geotagging coords. To be honest, I figure I'm about two to three years from making a decision, so these features are more of a wish list.

Yup, gotta few of each, lol.

Lowrance Endura Sierra, Lowrance IFinder GO,

DeLorme PN-40SE, DeLorme PN-40 w/ Topo USA 8.0,

Garmin Colorado 400i, Garmin Oregon 200,

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, Garmin 76CSX, Garmin GPS40,

Ipaq HX 4700 w/ Pharos 360 CF,

Be safe.

N

Edited by Native20559

My current (and first) GPS is an eTrex Legend. It's done okay by me so far but I'm ready for an upgrade. I've been looking at the Oregon 450 and Dakota 20, but I hesitate on either because of the display issues I've seen reported everywhere (plus the price). So I'm looking at Delormes, Lowrances, and Magellans, but they each have their pros and cons. If only someone offered a custom-made GPS designed to my specs!

Yup, gotta few of each, lol.

Lowrance Endura Sierra, Lowrance IFinder GO,

DeLorme PN-40SE, DeLorme PN-40 w/ Topo USA 8.0,

Garmin Colorado 400i, Garmin Oregon 200,

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, Garmin 76CSX, Garmin GPS40,

Ipaq HX 4700 w/ Pharos 360 CF,

Be safe.

N

Now that's what I call a well rounded and unbiased cacher. Toss in a Magellan and you've got it covered.

My first was an eTrex Legend and after tons of research and hadn wringing I ended up with the Oregon 400t. I've never looked back and love virtually all aspects of the unit. I've got a Nuvi 255WT which is a nice in car unit too - but the lucky drawing gods sent that our way. I doubt I would have shelled out any money for an in car unit.