Bluetooth gps

i do my geocaching with an ATT Tilt and the built in gps doesn't work real well so.... I'm looking at getting a bluetooth gps but have no idea where to start in picking one. i like one that is accurate down to 2 to 3 yards. i looking for as many options as i can get...

thanks in advance for all your help

i do my geocaching with an ATT Tilt and the built in gps doesn't work real well so.... I'm looking at getting a bluetooth gps but have no idea where to start in picking one. i like one that is accurate down to 2 to 3 yards. i looking for as many options as i can get...

thanks in advance for all your help

A "Bluetooth GPS" will be dumping out NMEA data across the interface. You'd need an application for your Tilt that would read and interpret that information. Time to hit the application market for WM6 - you'll see references to things here.

There are a couple of decent Bluetooth units out there. http://www.amazon.com/Holux-Channel-Wirele...M/ref=pd_cp_e_1 took my interest the other day.

The military (& maybe some commercial installations) may have device accuracy down to <2 yards,, but consumer devices are usually more in the ~10-15 yard accuracy range.

Never mind some of the wild claims people have that "their device" is spot-on perfect in accuracy,, it isn't ;)

Edited by NordicMan

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10x-GLOBALSAT-BLUETO...=item4a9f097000

I bought one of these off the same guy, though he doesn't have any singles on sale at the moment. I use it with my netbook and it works flawlessly - in fact, I have a more expensive (about 3 times the price) USB GPS dongle, and this bluetooth one works better than that. It picks up a signal much faster, and stays locked in poor signal conditions. It can be charged from your USB port, or any 5V outlet with a USB A/B cable. YMMV.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10x-GLOBALSAT-BLUETO...=item4a9f097000

I bought one of these off the same guy, though he doesn't have any singles on sale at the moment. I use it with my netbook and it works flawlessly

What mapping software are you using on your netbook?

(I run Ubuntu on the netbook)

Mapping software: well, I use Navit for sat-nav capabilities, which uses the OSM maps. I've also been known to pre-cache an area in Google Earth and then track using that also.

For Geocaching I wrote my own script which allows me to leave my netbook in my rucksack, and it speaks to my via my headphones. I communicate with the netbook via my Palm m500 PDA. It's all a bit of a hack, but I love a machine that can do 1000 things!!

The military (& maybe some commercial installations) may have device accuracy down to <2 yards,, but consumer devices are usually more in the ~10-15 yard accuracy range.

Never mind some of the wild claims people have that "their device" is spot-on perfect in accuracy,, it isn't :rolleyes:

ive heard that before. but when i bought my Magellan Meridian the listed accuracy was 6 feet. and that was entirely accurate. i would like a bluetooth to make my phone do the same for the ability of "spontaneous caching"