Standard Center Designs

Underdog

There is no universal system of markings that I know of. Many companies have produced markers down through the years, using their own designs or designs supplied by their clients. There are a few generally observed concepts however. The equilateral triangle is perhaps the most widely recognized symbol for a control point of any kind worldwide. In this country, it was adopted by the USC&GS to indicate a marker that forms a part of its nationwide triangulation network, the first order stations of which, have always been established using state of the art methods. An arrow typically is found on triangulation reference markers, pointing toward the station. A line may indicate a point of elevation, if the marker is set in a vertical surface, or it may merely serve to separate text into quadrants, as on BLM markers. Text and other symbols, such as + or X, are often scribed into the marker after it is put in place, using a set of dies. A circle, dot, or punch mark, is usually the true precise point and may or may not be centered on the marker. Many if not most disk or cap type markers are shipped blank and marked by the surveyor who uses them. Some surveyors order markers with their name, their company name, or their license number already engraved on them. State and local government agencies, utility companies and others use a wide variety of designs, some conveying detailed info, others little or no info.

I'm not exactly sure, but I bet they have some bearing on the type of benchmark it is.

I think that the vertical controls have the line or plus. Triangulation marks would obviously have the triangles on them, with the interior probably representing the accuracy (1,2, or 3). The arrow looking one probably goes with an azimuth mark where the arrow points along the azimuth.

If I'm wrong I'd be happy to hear the correct interpretation of these symbols.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

IS

Blank markers and stamping dies can be purchased at many outdoor supply stores or by mail order from places such as Forestry Suppliers of Jackson Mississippi and Ben Meadows Supply here in Atlanta. Berntsen is the most well known supplier of custom markers, but I believe there are some others whose names I do not remember. Please tell me you are not planning on creating your own network, or worse yet, altering the markings on any existing disks you find.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Surveytech...thanks for the info. No, I'm not going to deface or subvert any suvey markers. I was thinking that these would be neat personalized cache-trading items or neat things to use as the intermediate stages of a micro cache.

Perhaps a standard center design for an intermediate point. Would that be starting a network?

Also... what a cool thing to have in your walk-way. A "personalized" Benchmark!

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?ID=5783

Woo... pricy little suckers

hummm... every thing you ever wanted to know?

http://www.gisceu.com/survey_markers_and_monumentations.htm

Download the price list

http://www.berntsen.com/

[This message was edited by Raouljan on August 20, 2002 at 07:20 AM.]