Geocoin Museum

Bitterseed

There are two websites at present that have information about geocoins:

Trackable Geocoins Wiki

Untrackable Geocoins Wiki

The information is only as good as the folks who enter it, so it's probably lacking insofar as stories, etc behind the coins (I know I haven't put in any for mine).

As for an actual physical museum, I don't think there is one yet, but I'd be very happy to hear otherwise!

There are two websites at present that have information about geocoins:

Trackable Geocoins Wiki

Untrackable Geocoins Wiki

The information is only as good as the folks who enter it, so it's probably lacking insofar as stories, etc behind the coins (I know I haven't put in any for mine).

As for an actual physical museum, I don't think there is one yet, but I'd be very happy to hear otherwise!

I'm going to have to say that Drneal probably owns the Geocoin museum.... if not he is probably one of its best donors ;)

....check the trunk of Avroair's car.... :rolleyes:

I was wondering why my front two wheels often leave the ground! ;)

Groundspeak has a small museum of sorts traveling with the Maze Exhibit.

My 2 geocents:

A real museum where people can stroll through won't happen. Too expensive to maintain and to run, too little interest. The closest you can get to a huge collection of phyical coins is a Geocoinfest. Sellers, resellers and collectors bring (parts of) their collection and put it on display for one day at one location. But you should know that some people just bring a list of tracking codes, because it's less heavy to carry around...

Every collector owns a bigger or smaller collection - but I guess the more items the collection holds, the less information for each coin (in average) can be provided (no offense intented!), due to the time that is needed to get hold of all the information and edit it properly.

If you go through profile pages of collectors with huge collections - most of them don't put a single picture on any coin's page. I'd think this applies to information as well. Some people with smaller collections tend to copy-paste shop's information and shop's pictures - a few take own pictures and tell the personal story of their item, but usually not about the genesis of the coin.

Best source for first hand information of old coins prbably is this forum here - ideas for coins were discussed, orders taken, successes shared, delivery problems argued and much more. But you have to put the picture together for yourself by reading a lot of posts.

These days a lot of coins are released through stores and too many webpages to keep an eye on everything. And a lot of these information vanish over time when websites go offline or stores delete their archives.

If you're looking for an online geocoin catalogue - there were/are several webpages that started, and had/have different success, and quality of provided information varies a lot and is far from complete everywhere.

I was interested in coins but knew from the start (in 2006) I knew that I won't be able to afford it in the long run. Today I own like 50 trackable items myself - most of them I got as a gift or I bought them as a souvenir of events or people I like. But I'm interested enough that I started to collect information about coins and put it in my own database. Someone recently said I was a digital collector...

To cover everything about geocoins I guess these numbers can give you a clou of what is necessary, based on what I researched so far:

- right now Groundspeak hosts >9000 entries on the All_Geocoins-Tab, and this page loads forever on my computer. If you would be able to discover every icon (including every line with a standard icon) your "trackables" page would have about 9000 rows.

- some of those icons are shared by several coins, some coins' editions are spread over several icons. Including non-trackable geocoins I think it's save to say that there are >10,000 different designs in existence, including tags...

- more than just a few of these icons cover coins with mintages <100 items - information about those are hard to find, as well as pictures.

- there is an average of about 3 editions per coin. -> to own everything, by today you want to own >30,000 items (price $10 or more each, and if you'd spend 10 minutes gathering information for each design - do the math, too).

To cover the topic "geocoins" completely like in a museum, you need resources... or you have to narrow it down to part of it.