Transfer of File - No Hint

Gralorn

Evening,

When I transfer either Loc Waypoint file or a GPX Exchange File to GSAK from a cache sheet I do not get on my GPS when uploaded any type of cache, ie; Trad, Multi, puzzle etc, no container and no hint. It just says 'unknown'. Is there a way of obtaining this info into my GPS when transferring from Cache page via GSAK?

OK forgetting the Loc File, The GPX exchange still says on clue/hint...unknown, yet there is one on the cache sheet any idea how to fix?

If you are using an old fashioned GPS like mine (GPSmap76) try this - When sending the waypoints to the GPS through GSAK when you get the screen up with the SEND button at the bottom - untick the use defaults and put %Hint in the Waypoint description format box

if you are using a new fangled GPS then sorry - no idea! ;)

I recall there was something to do with the version of GPX file you use. I had something similar and changed the version in my profile (it's at the bottom) from 1.0 to 1.0.1 and things seemed OK. Saying that I don't use GSAK that much now I've got an Oregon as I just transfer the GPX file straight in.

Chris (MrB)

I also have the Oregon Chris, but this is when I transfer it to 'Her Indoors' 60csx. For example I have just received notification that there are two new CUBA caches (Counties used to be Avon). I will send them from their cache pages to GSAK using the GPX Exchange. They will load onto GSAK, but when I then update 900 caches onto the GPS (Sending waypoints to GPS) these two will have no hint, but just say unknown!

I also have the Oregon Chris, but this is when I transfer it to 'Her Indoors' 60csx. For example I have just received notification that there are two new CUBA caches (Counties used to be Avon). I will send them from their cache pages to GSAK using the GPX Exchange. They will load onto GSAK, but when I then update 900 caches onto the GPS (Sending waypoints to GPS) these two will have no hint, but just say unknown!

I used to use a 60CS and found that if I was getting near the limit of number of caches it will hold some of the information was lost. I would try reducing the number of caches the unit is trying to hold.

You have to use a "special tag" in GSAK to get the hint to appear. Theres just too much info for each cache in the gpx file.

The Help contents in GSAK tell you which special tags do what. Search for Special Tags.

If you want he hint, you use %hint

You can group these tags together to give quite a bit of info (up to the limit of the number of characters that your GPSr will hold)

For example,

%con1/%Dif/%Ter/%last4(%datelf)

translates as:

Container type, Cache difficulty, Terrain difficulty, last 4 log types (Found, not found for example) and date last found.

This will appear on my GPSr ( Garmin GPSMap 60CSx) in Custom POI as:

M/1/1.5/FFFF(11/04/2010)

This is typed into the cache Description box in the Export...GPX option from GSAK.

I don't use GPX Exchange - Garmin POI loader is my transfer mode of choice.

Edited by HighlandNick