Best GPS for Mac user

drobin4384

I use a Mac (purchased 1 1/2) yrs ago and have DeLorme PN-40 that I am finding difficult to easily use. I was able to download geocaches (but had to download firefox web browser 1st) it worked 1 time then no more!!!! Now I am not able to download any geocaches. The PN-40 gets high praise elsewhere but to me does not seem intuitive. Should I send it back for a different model? Was considering Garmin Oregon model 200? Please give me your opinions/recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

Dean

I don't know about the unit you're using but we use an Oregon 450 with a mac and it works great. We run a PQ, unzip the file, and copy the GPX file to the Garmin. We use the MicroSD to store the files but you can use unit memory as well. Individual caches transfer easily directly from geocaching.com also.

D&N

Since I don't have a DeLorme or a Mac, I can't help you out with that. But for the Oregon, you should not have any trouble connecting it to your Mac. Since it appears to be a USB Mass Storage Class device, it will just appear as another drive (actually, 2 drives) on your computer, be it Mac, Windows or Linux, as long as your OS supports USB MSC.

I've read that the 200 does not have an audio speaker. That's not important to me, but if it is to you, consider one of the other models.

The Oregon is also significantly dimmer than the non touchscreen models. The x50 and Dakota series are supposed to be brighter.

If you're happy with the size and resolution of the PN-40, you might want to consider the Dakota 10 instead.

The problem might be the PN-40. I've been using a Garmin Legend since I started, and tried the PN-40 recently because I got a great deal on the price. I found it very difficult to use, although many others have no problem. Have to say I was very disappointed. I'm not sure if using a Mac is the issue.

Thanks for the help so far. Looks like I may decide to go w/ a garmin. Anyone with a garmin have any probs w/ the touch screen

I have a Garmin 450 which I use for geocaching and hiking. I think it's a super unit, and one of the features that I like most is the touch screen. I have not had any problems with mine. I do wish the screen were a bit brighter, but it is not a deal killer. Prior to the Oregon 450 I had an Oregon 300. The 450's screen is brighter than the 300 (by 15-20%). Also, the 450 has a better compass (3 asixs) than the 300. All in all I think the 450 is a very good unit and I highly recommend it.

OldA'sFan

I don't know about the unit you're using but we use an Oregon 450 with a mac and it works great. We run a PQ, unzip the file, and copy the GPX file to the Garmin. We use the MicroSD to store the files but you can use unit memory as well. Individual caches transfer easily directly from geocaching.com also.

D&N

Absolutely! Have a 550t and a Mac and the interface is effortless. The hardest part is waiting for the PQ to show up in my email.

Touchscreen is durable, but if held at the right angle, catches a glare sometimes from the sun. It's a minimal detractor from all the other benefits (i.e. paperless, etc.).

Edited by HawkLawless1