Garmin Oregon 450 Maps

Nox Finders

Howdy All!

I recently started Geocaching, and after trying this out for a while using the iPhone App, and realizing I enjoy it enough I want to invest, I purchased the Garmin Oregon 450.

I've heard a lot of good things about it, and when going through the 450/550/550t, I decided the 450 suited me best.

It's coming in the mail now, so while I wait, I'm looking into what I need to do to start prepping for this!

From what I've read, this unit does not come loaded with Maps. I heard that there are a variety of maps out there, along with free ones.

So, now to the actual meat of this post.

1. What do people suggest for Map Use for this Unit?

2. Where can I find them?

3. What are the best for Urban/Rural/Wilderness?

4. Other Suggestions/Tips/Knowledge!

Note: I'm using Windows!

I really appreciate anyone for answering back to this, and I can't wait to start getting really into this!

Edited by Nox Finder

If you are hitting caches off the roads then topo maps are useful. For urban and suburban caching regular road maps are better. From Garmin there is 24K topo and 100k topo. The 24k have more detail and the maps are routeable (meaning you get turn by turn driving directions) but they only cover specific regions. If you live near an area where the regional maps intersect it can get quite expensive if you need to buy maps for two or more regions. the 100K topo maps cover all of the US, but the detail isn't as good, the maps aren't routeable and they are kind of old.

City Navigator is Garmin's top of the line road mapping software. It's the same thing they use in their dashboard units. It gives you turn by turn driving directions, good road detail but it shows very little off road. Smaller bodies of water are not on it so you might not know if there is a stream, river or lake between you and the cache by looking at City Navigator maps.

Also free maps are available at www.gpsfiledepot.com

I live in the N.W. so I bought the Garmin 24K topo N.W. dvd. It has 4 state coverage, gives me great turn by turn routing in the city or country side. The 24k maps have all the city streets and country roads,most trails, and other features down to the smallist creek. It also has a large searchable P.O.I menu with everything from food,shops,gas,services,parks,cities,addresses,and much more with turn by turn to get you there.I bought mine from Amazon for around $90. Good luck