EC Maintenance

DerkleineHasi

Of course you cannot maintain the site but you need to maintain your EC listings and tasks.

It happened recently with one of our EC listings that we found a webpage where some information was published that could only "found" at the site as the listing was developed / published. It's not a big issue because this affects only one task but it's not nice anyway. Actually we are thinking about replacing this task by a new one. Does this require a new review because the new tasks and answers will not longer match these that gsa knows?

Another question I have is: Sometimes it happens that visitors of our EC's misunderstand some tasks (doing something completely wrong; Example: Task is to determine the height of a feature like a rock or a dune and they determine the height above sea level.) It's not a problem if this happens from time to time but if this occurs quiet often, do you prefer to explain the task to the visitor via mail (afterwards) or do you rework your EC task to have a better prepared listing for next visitors?

I follow this forum since a few months and never read something about EC maintenance. That's why I started this discussion. In your experience how often do you maintain your EC listings and what triggers you to do some changes? I invite all the EC owners here to share their experiences.

Frank

Of course you cannot maintain the site but you need to maintain your EC listings and tasks.

It happened recently with one of our EC listings that we found a webpage where some information was published that could only "found" at the site as the listing was developed / published. It's not a big issue because this affects only one task but it's not nice anyway. Actually we are thinking about replacing this task by a new one. Does this require a new review because the new tasks and answers will not longer match these that gsa knows?

Another question I have is: Sometimes it happens that visitors of our EC's misunderstand some tasks (doing something completely wrong; Example: Task is to determine the height of a feature like a rock or a dune and they determine the height above sea level.) It's not a problem if this happens from time to time but if this occurs quiet often, do you prefer to explain the task to the visitor via mail (afterwards) or do you rework your EC task to have a better prepared listing for next visitors?

I follow this forum since a few months and never read something about EC maintenance. That's why I started this discussion. In your experience how often do you maintain your EC listings and what triggers you to do some changes? I invite all the EC owners here to share their experiences.

Frank

As long as the tasks follow the guidelines, I don't think you need more review.

If visitors are frequently misunderstanding something, you should edit it to make it more clear.

I have to edit one of my Earthcaches because of some broken links, and I am planning to add some new logging tasks since requiring photos is no longer in keeping with the guidelines.

No need to resubmit an EC for approval just because you changed the logging requirements (as long as they stay within the guidelines). I do it all the time. People interpret things differently, and you never really know how people are going to interpret your questions until they start answering them. In fact I always plan on doing some tweaking to my ECs in the first few months after they're published. After a few months though things should be pretty stable, unless of course conditions change at the site, which may require more tweaking. (I actually had to archive an EC once because construction work at the site destroyed one of the main features I was showcasing. :) )