Archiving a listing?

estrelle

Hi again.

I'm moving forward with my plans for my next hide (involving UV ink), with some additional twists that are too complicated/I'm too lazy to type up right now. My question is about archiving one of your own listings. Right now I have a cache out in a spot that is very convenient for me to check on. It's hard to find good, available locations for hides in my area. Can I place the new cache there, then publish it with a note to the reviewer that if this one is approved the old will be archived and removed?

Thank you!

~jessica

We had a similar situation with one of our caches. It was the first cache we ever placed, and it was very popular. The tree it was hidden in was cut down, and the only possible spot to replace it was about 500 feet away, at the other end of the same shopping center. I sent a note to our local reviewer telling him that we wanted to publish our new cache and archive the previous one; he very kindly published the new one as soon as I submitted it and then he archived the old one for us.

Edited by The VanDucks

Tell me where you are planning to place the cache.

I won't steal the spot... I promise...

:):)

Some reviewers have a dim view of "temporary" caches.

If you are just trying to preserve the spot, you can submit the cache without it being active and then the reviewer will see it in que if someone tries to publish a cache in that spot (or so I was told)

If you are just trying to preserve the spot, you can submit the cache without it being active and then the reviewer will see it in que if someone tries to publish a cache in that spot (or so I was told)

lol No it's my spot! Mine! *holds it away and growls and snaps like a dog protecting food* lol

It's going to be a fun but very tough cache if I place it. Bet you'll never find it.. :)

I think you guys have answered my question. Thanks again ;)

The one time I felt it necessary to do this, I had the new cache hidden, and the new cache page ready for review. Archived old cache. Submitted new cache a moment later. (The old hide was far better, but the township closed the 340' staircase down the cliff. Oh, well.) The new cache was approved within a day (with note from the cache approver that he had enjoyed the previous hide, and was sorry to see it archived.)

lol No it's my spot! Mine! *holds it away and growls and snaps like a dog protecting food* lol

It's going to be a fun but very tough cache if I place it. Bet you'll never find it.. :)

You think I will never find it? Awww, that's a challenge.

You're on!

You're on!

I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!!!

Well, ok, I didn't find the cache, but I know the coordinates. :) (At least the starting coordinates)

:);)

I think you guys have answered my question. Thanks again :)

You're on!

Well, ok, I didn't find the cache, but I know the coordinates. :D (At least the starting coordinates)

lol Aren't you clever... :) You probably can figure out the general vicinity, but I actually just discovered a place that has opened up which would be even better (more fun and still close-by) and not interfere with my present cache. I just hope it's still available by the time the $40 worth of cache-hidey-stuff I just ordered arrives in the mail. Yikes. :D

:);)

I think you guys have answered my question. Thanks again :)

You're on!

Well, ok, I didn't find the cache, but I know the coordinates. :D (At least the starting coordinates)

lol Aren't you clever... :) You probably can figure out the general vicinity, but I actually just discovered a place that has opened up which would be even better (more fun and still close-by) and not interfere with my present cache. I just hope it's still available by the time the $40 worth of cache-hidey-stuff I just ordered arrives in the mail. Yikes. :D

Contact your local reviewer to see if there are any issues with other caches and ask if they will hold the spot for a bit while you get you cache together.

I seem to have reserved an open location (not where my old hide is). I want to tell you all about the cache before I put it together so I don't waste time doing something wrong, but I'm concerned *certain people* will peak at the spoilers... Can you be trusted not to look at this thread again, Bittsen? :)

I seem to have reserved an open location (not where my old hide is). I want to tell you all about the cache before I put it together so I don't waste time doing something wrong, but I'm concerned *certain people* will peak at the spoilers... Can you be trusted not to look at this thread again, Bittsen? ;)

What thread? I don't see a thread.

Okay. This is going to be a long post, and I'm sorry about that, but I want to give you all the details just as I've written them up so far. This is still a work in progress but I did scout out waypoint locations today.

Feedback is appreciated.

(removed based on this post, can replace if you want me to)

Edited by mtn-man

That sounds like a lot of fun!

I want to throw all my current ideas into one big twisted fun multi. ;)
I see this problem in one of my other hobbies. New rallyemasters (for gimmick car rallyes) want to include every single gimmick they've ever thought of in their first rallye. It doesn't work. Try to resist the urge, and save something for your second cache, and your third cache, and...

That sounds like a lot of fun!

I want to throw all my current ideas into one big twisted fun multi. ;)
I see this problem in one of my other hobbies. New rallyemasters (for gimmick car rallyes) want to include every single gimmick they've ever thought of in their first rallye. It doesn't work. Try to resist the urge, and save something for your second cache, and your third cache, and...

That's the thing, though. I don't know that I will ever have another opportunity to place a cache. It's very hard to find hide locations in my area at all, much less ones that I'll be able to maintain given that I'm car-free. I can ride my bike to this park in less than ten minutes. This is really my one shot and so I want to use it well and make it great. Do you think it could be archived because of this? Should further explanation of my reasoning be included in the explanation?

Thank you for your response ;)

One suggestion: Have multiple copies of the tag at Stage 1, in case more than one person is on the hunt at the same time. This way the secon (or third?) seeker doesn't find an empty Stage 1.

Or if someone should 'lose' the tag on the trail or 'forget' to replace it on the way back out.

Yes. Good thinking, both of you ;) I'll do that.

I'm starting to think this cache just might get approved!

You do think people will enjoy it, right?

One suggestion: Have multiple copies of the tag at Stage 1, in case more than one person is on the hunt at the same time. This way the secon (or third?) seeker doesn't find an empty Stage 1.

Or if someone should 'lose' the tag on the trail or 'forget' to replace it on the way back out.

Yes. Good thinking, both of you :rolleyes: I'll do that.

I think people will enjoy it on the same level as a nude beach.

It will all depend on the mood of the cacher and the people around them.

Yes. Good thinking, both of you :rolleyes: I'll do that.

I think people will enjoy it on the same level as a nude beach.

It will all depend on the mood of the cacher and the people around them.

You peeked!

Are you going to look for the cache when it gets posted?

You peeked!

I didn't peek at the cache page. That doesn't mean I never peeked at the nude beach.

(I don't have my searches or notifications set up for anything but traditional caches. That doesn't mean I won't look for your cache but I would need a nudge when it's published. But, yeah, I will look for it)

You peeked!

I didn't peek at the cache page. That doesn't mean I never peeked at the nude beach.

(I don't have my searches or notifications set up for anything but traditional caches. That doesn't mean I won't look for your cache but I would need a nudge when it's published. But, yeah, I will look for it)

I've seen nude beaches... no one should peek there.... they all look like me.

You peeked!

I've seen nude beaches... no one should peek there.... they all look like me.

The people that tend to go to nude beaches are not the type that anyone would really want to see nude anyway.. I suspect that they do it on purpose. :rolleyes: I fell ill after visiting one near Miami. The 60 year old guy coverered in "fur" on the trampoline was just too much..

Hi again.

I'm moving forward with my plans for my next hide (involving UV ink), with some additional twists that are too complicated/I'm too lazy to type up right now. My question is about archiving one of your own listings. Right now I have a cache out in a spot that is very convenient for me to check on. It's hard to find good, available locations for hides in my area. Can I place the new cache there, then publish it with a note to the reviewer that if this one is approved the old will be archived and removed?

Thank you!

~jessica

Yes, they will do that. :rolleyes:

You peeked!

There cache page currently consists only of a test of the coordinates. I was referring to the fact that I posted all of the details of the cache in this thread, including how to solve, and that's why I'd thought you agreed not to look at this thread again. :rolleyes: Oh, well. I'm going to delete the info now. I'm not going to change the cache. We'll have to use the honor system.

NM, it won't let me edit the post for some reason, and there's spoilers (somewhat) in the replies anyway.

Edited by estrelle

There cache page currently consists only of a test of the coordinates. I was referring to the fact that I posted all of the details of the cache in this thread, including how to solve, and that's why I'd thought you agreed not to look at this thread again. :rolleyes: Oh, well. I'm going to delete the info now. I'm not going to change the cache. We'll have to use the honor system.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't look at any of the details of the cache you are planning. Really, I didn't, because I said I wouldn't.

I did read something about a suggestion of carrying extra AAA batteries or something but that was too many details so I quit reading the second I saw AAA.

Oh, and you mentioned a type of "puzzle", I think, but I didn't click the link.

I'm all about the honor system.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't look at any of the details of the cache you are planning. Really, I didn't, because I said I wouldn't.

I did read something about a suggestion of carrying extra AAA batteries or something but that was too many details so I quit reading the second I saw AAA.

Oh, and you mentioned a type of "puzzle", I think, but I didn't click the link.

I'm all about the honor system.

Okay...but if you're FTF immediately after it gets posted you're gonna have some 'splaining to do! ;)

j/k. I trust you. Just confused by the misunderstanding.

Okay...but if you're FTF immediately after it gets posted you're gonna have some 'splaining to do! ;)

Now now, don't forget about my psychic powers.

I don't even need coords to be FTF.

:unsure:

:rolleyes:

Why the frowny?

Now now, don't forget about my psychic powers.

I don't even need coords to be FTF.

:unsure:

:rolleyes:

Why the frowny?

I put a lot of work in and splurged financially to create this cache and I'm really excited about it. I posted the information with the impression you agreed not to look. Now I don't know whether, to be fair to other cachers, I should change and/or cancel the whole thing. I trust you, but do I have the right to make that decision for other people when they're the ones playing the game?

I guess I never should have posted the info, but I thought we had an agreement and I took the leap to trust you. Now I feel like I got burned. I know it's not that big a deal, maybe I've just gotten too wrapped up in this whole thing. Maybe I'm being a little emotional because I'm exhausted. I just want the game to be fair to everyone. People care about FTF, or being one of only a couple people to find a cache because it's so hard, etc. It just doesn't seem right to me that you looked when you implied you wouldn't.

Sorry if my perceptions/feelings are being skewed due to extreme tiredness.

I put a lot of work in and splurged financially to create this cache and I'm really excited about it. I posted the information with the impression you agreed not to look. Now I don't know whether, to be fair to other cachers, I should change and/or cancel the whole thing. I trust you, but do I have the right to make that decision for other people when they're the ones playing the game?

I guess I never should have posted the info, but I thought we had an agreement and I took the leap to trust you. Now I feel like I got burned. I know it's not that big a deal, maybe I've just gotten too wrapped up in this whole thing. Maybe I'm being a little emotional because I'm exhausted. I just want the game to be fair to everyone. People care about FTF, or being one of only a couple people to find a cache because it's so hard, etc. It just doesn't seem right to me that you looked when you implied you wouldn't.

OK, let me be really clear.

I like to joke around. It's part of my charm.

The whole implication that I have some sort of head start on your cache is all based on that joking around.

I can assure you, and everyone else in the geocaching community, that I haven't a clue about your cache other than you saying to click on a link to get an idea of what you mean (which I assure you I did not click) and the one post that said you should warn people to bring extra batteries.

Other than those two things, I have no clue about your cache.

And, as I said before, puzzle caches, multicaches, earthcaches and the sort aren't really my thing. I like traditionals. In that regard I won't know of your cache being published unless I specifically look for it. So, just about anyone who likes your type of cache (assuming it's not a traditional) will likely have a much better head start than I will.

So, rest assured. Your cache is not tainted.

And, I totally understand being tired. I'm completely exhausted the last couple days.

OK, let me be really clear.

I like to joke around. It's part of my charm.

The whole implication that I have some sort of head start on your cache is all based on that joking around.

I can assure you, and everyone else in the geocaching community, that I haven't a clue about your cache other than you saying to click on a link to get an idea of what you mean (which I assure you I did not click) and the one post that said you should warn people to bring extra batteries.

Other than those two things, I have no clue about your cache.

And, as I said before, puzzle caches, multicaches, earthcaches and the sort aren't really my thing. I like traditionals. In that regard I won't know of your cache being published unless I specifically look for it. So, just about anyone who likes your type of cache (assuming it's not a traditional) will likely have a much better head start than I will.

So, rest assured. Your cache is not tainted.

And, I totally understand being tired. I'm completely exhausted the last couple days.

Okay. I'm going ahead with the cache. Thank you for your assurances. *hug*

I'm off to get a good night's rest and I hope you do the same :rolleyes: 'night

Edited by estrelle

NM, it won't let me edit the post for some reason, and there's spoilers (somewhat) in the replies anyway.

Hey estrelle. After a certain time you cannot edit your post. A moderator can though. I thought there might be some sensitive info in your post so I removed it based on this post. I've posted the part I removed to your cache page in two reviewer notes (they will be deleted when the cache is published). If you want that put back in the topic in your post I edited, I can easily add it back in. I don't think the spoilers in this topic are that bad. If you don't want it added back in, then those who have not seen the post above will never know about the cache.

sekret.gif

There cache page currently consists only of a test of the coordinates. I was referring to the fact that I posted all of the details of the cache in this thread, including how to solve, and that's why I'd thought you agreed not to look at this thread again. :laughing: Oh, well. I'm going to delete the info now. I'm not going to change the cache. We'll have to use the honor system.

Hey estrelle. After a certain time you cannot edit your post. A moderator can though. I thought there might be some sensitive info in your post so I removed it based on this post. I've posted the part I removed to your cache page in two reviewer notes (they will be deleted when the cache is published). If you want that put back in the topic in your post I edited, I can easily add it back in. I don't think the spoilers in this topic are that bad. If you don't want it added back in, then those who have not seen the post above will never know about the cache.

sekret.gif

Thank you.

The cache should be out within a day or two, but I have one more question for you all. For those of you who read the description when it was up, how would you rate the difficulty of this cache? We can't decide between 3.5 or 4 stars, maybe even 4.5. A (3 star) kakuro puzzle does have to be solved, and it could take multiple trips to get to the final since there are hides at multiple waypoints. Then there are the twists described in the now-edited post. Some tweaks have been made to the cache description. I think I won't be giving away anything major by posting this part:

"After parking you know where to go. There you will find an item telling you of another place. At that point, you will find something that reveals a clue to the final location." That's the revised description for what people will do at the park. That's it.

The final may be very hard to find even after people get to the right area, depending on their geosense and persistence.

How would you rate it?

Thanks. :rolleyes: