Any BookCrossers here?

I found out about Geocaching through BookCrossing.com, a website dedicated to releasing and tracking books. I've left a book or two in caches, though usually only the large ones have room. When I find a place to leave a large cache of my own, I'll release a book in it from time to time. Just wondering who else is combining the two.

Yes, I do BookCrossing and occasionally find/place books in caches but there aren't that many caches large enough to take a paperback book or, if they are large enough, they're pretty full already with other swag and larger TBs!

If you do a search for caches with Bookcrossing in their name you'll find that there are quite a few out there.

MrsB :)

I combine my bookcrossing with my geocaching when I can. But as others have mentioned, it can be difficult to find caches that are large enough to hold even a mass-market paperback, much less any larger books. I have frequently left bookcrossing labels/bookmarks in caches since those fit more easily than books.

My first and only cache hide was a bookcrossing-themed cache. As a new cacher at the time, I didn't know enough about camo-ing the large container, so even though I hid it well initially, over time it because more and more visible because finders didn't take the time to sufficiently cover it up. It was eventually archived when I moved and the person who had volunteered to do maintenance on the cache didn't follow through.

I may eventually try placing another bookcrossing-themed cache.

We found out about bookcrossing when another cacher left a book in one of our ammo can caches. We liked the idea, registered, and participated for a year or two. We once visited a bookcrossing-crossover cache, opened the container, and the book laying on top was one we had left in a different cache! That was nice. But very few of the books we've placed were ever noted as found or moved, so we lost interest and have returned to donating our used books through other sources.

I know of a couple of bookcrossing geocaches, one in Minnesota and one in eastern Wisconsin. One was a letterbox hybrid in a big ice fishing bucket placed in an area that could support that size of cache, the other a big ammo can. I had books with me and ready to go, as I have done bookcrossing longer than geocaching (but not nearly as avidly as caching!) I think I did make an actual trade at one, but just left my book at the other.