Dakota 20 vs Oregon 450t ? need full paperless

mrgeoff

Hi, looking to buy one soon, Got a Garmin Etrex 12 channel, which is fine, but I neeeed some tech

Like the look of the full pages of info (GPX files) but from the info I can find, can only the Oregon 450 take this out of the 2 choices?

TBH, the Dakota would do me just fine, but, I do want the full GPX pages, decripted hints, latest logs? Can the Dakota get me the full info?

Thanks - Geoff.

You said 450t, but the 450 (non-t) is probably more equivalent to a Dakota 20, and I think brings the price to within $50 of each other.

The "t" model (for all oregons) adds terrain maps and bumps the cost $100 compared to the non-t models. Both units can have maps downloaded to them later.

Beyond that, the two biggest differences are the screen size (bigger on the 450) and a Wherigo player.

Both hold 2000 caches (some sources seem to indicate the 450 can do 5000, but I'm unsure about that and the user manual doesn't indicate) as well as 2000 waypoints and unlimited poi's.

The Dakota is supposed to have better battery life and is physically smaller.

For only $50 more, I think I would opt for the 450.

I have both the 20 and the 450. Set up the same. CN10, Topo from GPSFileDepot (free). As said, battery life seems better on the 20(RayoVac Hybrids) and the screen seems just marginally brighter on the 20. Wherigo is a toss up for me. We don't have a cache rich area here and none of the Wherigo items here. I find that I reach for the 20 most of the time. Might be the size mainly as it is used on a bike. Smaller seems better there. Money no object, the 450. But you will be perfectly happy with the 20. Both great units, nice software updates.

Cool, thanks for the replys

My worry was, that when you "tick" the box on the garmin website for paperless cashe, it only brings up the Oregon series.

If the Dakota 20 does the same, screens as this: I will buy one.

pt-367.jpgpt-581.jpg

Edited by mrgeoff