Read This Post > Feature Request: Map Enhancements

treasurelover

I believe the map functionality could really be improved upon. I've only been using the website for a few months, and I'm sure there are others out there that feel the way I do.

Problem:

There is currently no way to select multiple caches and send them to the GPS from google maps.

Suggested Solution:

Implement the ability to draw a box, or a lasso on the screen. Caches inside the box are selected and could then be downloaded or sent directly to the gps. I don't know if it is possible to send multiple points in one file, but a queue system could be implemented.

I suggest that the area that is drawn would have a semi-transparent fill. I think the cache icons ought to be placed over this fill to make them more visible.

Alternatively there could be a Right Click feature where you could add the caches into a queue on the side bar.

Trying to select them within a certain radius of an address, then selecting all and downloading them doesn't bring up the Garmin Communicator plugin, which would be a nice (but less pleasing) alternative.

Problem:

It is difficult to tell which caches have already been sent to the gps.

Solution:

The background for undiscovered caches is white, and disabled caches have grey backgrounds. Perhaps a green background for sent ones? Or you could have some kind of color picker built into sidebar.

Problem:

The disabled caches are not clearly enough differentiated from other caches.

Solution:

The color is currently a dark grey. This could have a diagonal white line through it, or simply a different fill color.
There is also room on the premium member filters for "disabled items", let's add it!

Problem:

The map is not always visible when there are a lot of caches on the screen.

Solution:

Add an opacity slider to the sidebar that controls the opacity of the icons on the map. This would be particularly useful when you are looking at a cache that "appears" to be in the middle of a road when zoomed out.

Problem:

Finding the page to search for caches with google maps is too difficult.

Solution:

On the homepage (geocaching.com) in the "Search for Geocaches" Box, right next to the picture of google maps with caches on it, add a link titled "Search with map".

This could also be added as a second submit button next to the input box for zip code / coordinate / address, then "Search by Text" | "Search by Map". Additionally, if the person is logged in, this should take them to the "home" address they have entered into their profile,
not greenlake seattle
. I don't care if it is fun trivia knowledge, if a member is logged in and navigates to Geocaching.com > Hide & Seek > Search with Google Maps, do you really want to make them enter in their address again after that?
Update this link, and make it more visible as a call to action button, or it's own box.

note: create a poll if you really believe that most people don't find their caches by the map.

If you are running Firefox or Opera, a few of your complaints are solved by the Geocaching Google Map Enhancements Greasemonkey script.

Cool stuff, I had a chance to check this out and it is great work. Unfortunately it really only addresses one of the issues I raised. (I like to think of them as ideas for progress instead of complaints :P )

I'm new to grease monkey, and I see that it was written in JavaScript. I don't know much about JavaScript, but I am willing to learn. Are you working in a team with anyone on this project or is it just you? Is it up on SourceForge or is it a solo project?

Regarding your last point, there is a link on every cache page to open the Geocaching Google Map centered on that cache.

And it takes even more clicks to navigate to a cache page than it does to just get to a map. Or am I misinterpreting your point. I'll check out the greasemonkey link, thanks for the tip. I wonder why they don't integrate more of those features.

Let me know how I can help out, I love the forward thinking / scripting you've been doing!

ps-those trash cans are a great idea, I'm going to start leaving those behind right away!

Edited by treasurelover

...and just how in the world do you expect the website to know what caches are already loaded on your unit??? :)

With cookies, so long as it holds on to the information over one session I'd be happy. Or it could log the information into a database associated with my account information and linked to which gpsr was plugged in. I imagine there are a variety of solutions. Your post was a little ...negative. This is more of brainstorming ideas for solutions to problems with the interface, and thoughts on improving the interface.

In response to your second note, I haven't played around with pocket queries yet. I was looking for a visual way to accomplish what pocket queries do. This could be as simple as clicking on a point on the map to place the center point for a circle, and then drag the mouse away to set the radius of the circle so that any caches inside are included.

I am a very visual learner, so this would feel very intuitive to me.

For the record, and so you don't feel alone, I like your ideas!

There are a lot of things on this site which could do with some improving, and it's only with posts like yours that the brainstorming begins.

gc.com is very 'comfortable' with what it has, though, and so are many, many cachers who have learned to live with the restrictions features. :) I think that the site and architecture behind it belongs back in 2002, but if you want to geocache, there's not many other places to turn to.

I guess what I'm saying is that the ideas are good. Very good, and definitely belong on a website in 2010, especially for a game relying upon 21st century technology. Some people have filled the gaps with some absolutely amazing greasemonkey scripts, but don't expect the geocaching overlords to be implementing anything too hi-tech too soon: there's far to many bugs with the site currently (see other posts in this very forum!) to be developing anything new...

These are great ideas! My frustration with pocket queries is that they show up as waypoints and not caches in my gps. Your solution would allow them to be seen as caches, which shows me the description and hints. I am by far, not a pocket query expert, but I do know that right now I click on one cache at a time and send it to gps. That's so mundane. I just want to load up and go.

...and just how in the world do you expect the website to know what caches are already loaded on your unit??? :)

With cookies, so long as it holds on to the information over one session I'd be happy. Or it could log the information into a database associated with my account information and linked to which gpsr was plugged in. I imagine there are a variety of solutions. Your post was a little ...negative. This is more of brainstorming ideas for solutions to problems with the interface, and thoughts on improving the interface.

In response to your second note, I haven't played around with pocket queries yet. I was looking for a visual way to accomplish what pocket queries do. This could be as simple as clicking on a point on the map to place the center point for a circle, and then drag the mouse away to set the radius of the circle so that any caches inside are included.

I am a very visual learner, so this would feel very intuitive to me.

There are too many ways to load caches on to a GPS for this to work well. Perhaps there are some geocachers who only use the the Send To GPS options to load from the web site, but many use 3rd party tools such as GSAK or EasyGPS to manage the caches on their units. The website may have no idea what caches they have loaded or not. Many premium members find Pocket Queries the most convenient way to load many caches onto a GPS unit at once. The Pocket Query screen provides lots of options for selecting the caches that you want. These are provided in a GPX format file that is emailed to you. Depending on your unit, you might directly load the GPX file or you might use a tool like GSAK or software provided by your GPS manufacturer to load the caches. It (generally) doesn't hurt to load a cache to your unit a second time. Depending on your unit you may want to learn how to delete the geocaches in your unit so you can reload fresh data from time to time.

One option premium members have is to create bookmark lists of caches. You can then create a Pocket Query to return these caches in the GPX file. There used to be the capability to add caches to a bookmark list directly from the map. I'd like to see this returned. There is now only the capability to create a Pocket Query that returns all the caches on the map.

These are great ideas! My frustration with pocket queries is that they show up as waypoints and not caches in my gps. Your solution would allow them to be seen as caches, which shows me the description and hints. I am by far, not a pocket query expert, but I do know that right now I click on one cache at a time and send it to gps. That's so mundane. I just want to load up and go.

I'd like to see some good tutorials on using pocket queries right on the website. Most people don't know where to look for offsite help like Markwell's FAQ. When I read that pocket queries don't show up as caches, I know right away that some is doing something wrong. Most likely trying load caches from the pocket query preview. You need to click a day of the week for the pocket query to run and then use the GPX file that was sent to you via email. I know this is not the most intuitive interface. I've suggested renaming Pocket Queries to Save Searches and then explaining that one can order a GPX file for a saved search and load the results to a GPS (either directly or using a third party tool dependint on the model).