Do you cache alone or with others?

Apologies if this has been discussed before – I did do a search but it didn’t come up with anything….

The other day I did my first cache on my own, usually I have at least my youngest boy with me, or my boyfriend, or one of my older children…

But this one was a quickie local to my place of work so I popped out and picked it up on my lunch break, as it was a lovely sunny day and I fancied a walk.

And much as I enjoyed the walk, and the cache was a good one, I didn’t really enjoy the whole experience as much as I usually do – because I felt so conspicuous and awkward walking along on my own with the GPS. And while hunting for the cache itself. I’ve never felt like that when caching with my kids or with other people.

It’s a pity because it has kind of put me off the idea of any more lone trips. Maybe I need to borrow my boss’s dog next time, I think I’d look a lot less suspicious with a canine in tow…

What do you chaps/chapesses prefer? Lone expeditions or caching in company?

I can see the benefits to both - on my own I could probably walk further afield (the kids get fed up on very long hikes), and tackle caches that the kids wouldn't find interesting.

But company is nice, there's safety in numbers, and you don't look like a lone nutter :D

I almost always cache with someone else. Really, I think of it as being more of a safety thing. I won't go into the woods by myself, nor will I travel to secluded places alone. There is just so much room for things to go wrong--be it an attack or getting injured.

I've cached alone on three occasions and they were all to find easy urban caches in Washington DC, Portland OR, and suburban Maryland.

I usually ask myself, "if I weren't geocaching, would I be here alone?" If the answer is no, I just don't do it. For me it all comes down to safety.

so how do you "loner" cachers get past that awkward feeling? I really felt odd walking along, checking my GPS, and especially while searching when the odd muggle walked past. Usually I wouldn't think anything of it, I'd just stop rustling in the undergrowth and chat to the kids awhile until the muggle had walked past.

But on my own I felt like I must look really suspicious or perhaps a little bit strange :D and it kind of spoilt the experience for me a tad.

I'm a social loser with no friends, so I always cache alone. I'm perfectly at home in the woods, day or night, so no problems there. In public I'm pretty uncomfortable, so I tend to avoid most urban-type caches. But I will go after some of them. In those cases I move quickly and act like I know exactly what I'm doing. I still feel like a suspicious criminal, but I live with it.

Yesterday I did 4 urban caches, which included crawling along a set of bleachers next to a baseball field, and going round and round a large cannon in the middle of two busy streets. Felt awkward, but found the caches.

The thing to keep telling yourself is, nobody is paying any attention to you. They don't care what you're doing. Ignore the uncomfortable feeling if you can, and cache on.

so how do you "loner" cachers get past that awkward feeling? I really felt odd walking along, checking my GPS, and especially while searching when the odd muggle walked past. Usually I wouldn't think anything of it, I'd just stop rustling in the undergrowth and chat to the kids awhile until the muggle had walked past.

I prefer caching with others but end up on my own (or with the dog) a lot because sometimes its hard to coordinate schedules -- and even though my family members will put up with me, they do not cache. My daughter feels the awkwardness more than I, and can get totally embarrassed if I am poking around for an urban micro or a cache in a residential area.

But it really depends on the nature of the cache. In this day and age, people carry enough gadgets so pulling out the gpsr does not feel strange to me. And I have found many people do not pay that much attention to what I am doing -- and those that do have sometimes led to some interesting conversations. A few times people have joined the search. So confidence, a sense of purpose, and a certain obliviousness probably help.

Still, my basic rule of thumb is that if a particular situation it feels too awkward or would be better done with someone else, save it until later. Life is too short to worry too much about a cache that is not fun for you.

Edited by Erickson

80% of the time I cache solo, mostly because I travel so much for work that I am able to cache in different countries.

I think the only way to get over feeling conspicuous is to walk around like you own the place. Thats what I do for the real urban finds.

Parks and such are easier to do due to the fact it affords more privacy. But with my travels those are few and far between.

I almost always cache alone. I have met some people geocaching and we have geocached together since then but it is hard to coorinate. My son and wife HATE geocaching. My daughter loves it, but doesn't like to get out of bed on Saturday mornings. So it is usually just me.

Well just did my first outing this past weekend with my Fiancee. We had a great time, I am going to be doing a lone mission later today on my way to a class. I agree with most people here that you just have to feel like you own the place. I know from my travels from around the world that if you look like you belong people will generally leave you to what your doing. Even in countries where you dont look like eveyone else this works.

I wind up doing more caching alone than with people. Although I like caching with others I prefer it to only be a couple of other people. I have cached in large groups at events and on group hikes before were some people don't make a find all day. You pretty much just wind up following the front runners and signing a log which takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Caching alone isn't so bad once you get used to it. Taking a dog with you is actually a great way to get passed that initial feeling of "I'm the weirdo walking alone with a GPS." The dog gets a walk, you get a cache, and you can minimize your weird- factor to muggles.

It's like doing anything by yourself (taking a trip, going to dinner, going to a movie, etc), you just have to learn to enjoy your own company. Once you've got that down, it's not so bad.

It usually depends. I love geocaching with people, but if I can't find anyone to go, I'm going anyway.

I'm over the whole awkward stage for the most part. I'm usually caching out in the woods anyway, and no one really cares there. I also carry around a really official looking clipboard so I feel official.

Sometimes I think I would prefer caching by myself...mainly because when I go with my family (at least for the moment) they're rather...conspicuous.

We're all novices, but I tend to be more quiet and stealthy naturally, while my dad...isn't. We went on a cache run on Baltimore for my brother's birthday and he's all "Is it in this area?" "Lemme see that thing." [Thing equalling either gps or my notebook with notes on the caches, whatever fits.] "I think it's over here!" While poking around at things. *sigh*

My problem, however...is I hate to drive. I hate to drive in traffic even more. Living in Maryland and wanting to go to caches in Baltimore, Annapolis, DC, etc is much easier and funner for me if I let him do the driving. *laughs*

So, unless I learn to deal with traffic, family caching it is. :)

Most of the time I cache with my tweener son. He's good company, interesting to talk to, and we have lots of misadventures and laughs that we'll remember for years to come. I have cached solo a few times when he's off somewhere, and it felt a bit strange. Not because of the "I'm alone and feel awkward" thing, but because I keep thinking "Nicholas would love this place!" In addition, he's a really good cacher and has a knack for finding micros, so the find ratio is higher when he's around.

I usually cache with (you know who) but he has so many finds we drive by ones I haven't found. So sometimes I go by myself to find those. When it comes to hiking I prefer to go with someone in case something happens (falls, rattlers or exposure) you have a buddy. I even find new cachers to go with because they want someone who is more experienced.

LMAO, Bittsen, that is awesome!

Seriously though, I recently ran into this too. We cache as a family, but I long to do more and sometimes feel like the kids & hubby are holding me back. Recently, my husband watched the little ones so I could go out alone. It sucked! Even though I almost always spot the caches first, then guide the kiddos into "finding" them, alone I couldn't find a thing! And suprisingly I missed having the noise and chaos and interrupted thoughts... I was lonely! I got only one out of five attempts that afternoon, and really missed having everyone around. *sigh* I must say though, as much as the afternoon was a drag, it was nice to have the opportunity to get out on my own and discover that I do miss the family when they aren't around!

I cache alone. I have been on a couple of finds with someone else, but they are a non-cacher, so I always feel like I'm apologising for taking so long on the diversion/search/etc.

I prefer bush caches, which are almost always devoid of humans anyway. (Most of the reason why I like these areas)

I often take the dog, (for safety aswell) and always try to look as though I belong there, and I'm unapproachable ...busy, nasty, mentally ill, homeless. ...with no disrespect to anyone who is mentally ill, nasty, busy, etc

A trick not mentioned here yet, is to look like you are working - I have varying uniform/jacket/vests that make me look like an inspector (bridge inspector, tree inspector, building inspector) or manual labourer of some sort. Oddly, a hi-vis vest can make you quite invisible.

Remember you are on public land, and anyone has the right to count 12 light poles from the corner, or look under rocks, etc. So as long as you look like you are doing work, people won't bother you. Not just gardeners inspect trees in an urban park: so do entomologists, zoologists, Dendroclimatologists, Dendrometrists, and any number of people.

An advantage in caching with a friend is that one of you can be a lookout. I do miss that.

I regularly cache with a group on Mondays. Those in the group, and it is only 3-4 other people, have been caching for several years so they have more finds than I do, thus as we drive out to someplace we pass up caches that I haven't done but they have.

So as much as I enjoy our time together there are times when I get out by myself to pick-up those caches we passed by. But it isn't the same. Sure I can now find a cache, but there's no one to share the laugh with when something goes haywire and I miss that. I miss my navigator giving me unerring directions to the jump-off point.

Now the flip side is that I can do caches they haven't done, and then bring them to that spot and watch them find what I found, and that sharing puts a smile on my face and a smile on their stats.

I've done only 4 caches with my mum, she doesn't do geocaching. The rest i found alone. Honestly for me there are so many weirdo around th eworld so doesnt matter if i join them :) I like people around me but none of my friends is cacher appart of my cousines who live in Czech Republic which is far from UK :D

Geocaching is like being naughty. Sure you can do it alone but its more fun to do it with others.

Oooh, can I borrow this for a quote! It's so exactly how I feel.

I started off caching as part of a team, then ended up having to cache on my own a good deal of the time.

Yesterday I went out with two other cachers and we had a blast. Next trip already planned. Of course the nice thing about these two is that they like to cache the way I do...start early, stay late and always, always be ready for an adventure.

More often than not, I cache alone -- going my own pace (not holding others back) often trying to get into the hider's mind to supplement the gps. On those occasions when it works, my adult son or my no-longer-teens grandson will go along to play gopher or guinea-pig. Sometimes the Mrs goes along and reads in the car while I tramp around. She's a great cheer-leader. In my younger years I was an avid squirrel hunter so rural locales are my preference, but I've been known to lift a skirt here and there.

I cache alone 95% of the time. My brother has gone with me and occasionally my granddaughters will go and my wife has even tried caching. My wife enjoys as I the nature walks but she doesn't care much for caching in a town or city. My granddaughters are probably my favorite partners because they call it treasure hunting and they really enjoy it. Noone is addicted to caching like myself that I know.

I usually cache with my life partner, and sometimes I cache with a larger group of people. I used to cache alone quite a bit, but I don't have much opportunity for that anymore. I enjoy caching alone because it gets me out of my head and it's more challenging to find a cache without help. I enjoy caching with others because it's fun to be outside with friends. I don't really have a preference, it just depends on my mood and opportunity.

Seriously though, I recently ran into this too. We cache as a family, but I long to do more and sometimes feel like the kids & hubby are holding me back. Recently, my husband watched the little ones so I could go out alone. It sucked! Even though I almost always spot the caches first, then guide the kiddos into "finding" them, alone I couldn't find a thing! And suprisingly I missed having the noise and chaos and interrupted thoughts... I was lonely! I got only one out of five attempts that afternoon, and really missed having everyone around. *sigh* I must say though, as much as the afternoon was a drag, it was nice to have the opportunity to get out on my own and discover that I do miss the family when they aren't around!

Yes, I totally get this. Maybe, thinking about it more closely, it wasn’t just the “I feel awkward” thing that spoilt my lone expedition for me (although that was definitely a part of it). I think you’ve summed it right up, it was just a little closer to being boring without somebody to chat to along the way, and the kids veering off to look at interesting pine cones, and all the stuff that I usually feel is costing me good caching time ;)

Having said that, caching without the kids ain’t so shabby either - yesterday was my birthday, the kids were in school but my boyfriend and I took the day off work to do some caching, have a picnic, and enjoy the lovely weather we have here right now. We managed 6 caches on a nice circular hike – much more than the kids would have put up with, we were out for nearly 5 hours – and had fantastic day.

So I think I’m definitely one for caching in company, not in huge groups but just having someone to talk to en route, varied company is nice, an amble with the kids one day, a slightly tougher hike with the other half another.

But I will try a couple more lone lunchtime outings before I write off the idea completely, purely because there are some nice caches local to my place of business which it would be churlish not to investigate ;)

I usually cache by myself--both in the city and out in the National Forest near Colorado Springs. I've found caches on top of 14er's by myself. With that said, I've also walked up on a guy as he was robbing my truck. Called the police for that one. I guess I wasn't officially alone, my dog was with me, but she thought this guy was a friend. Hindsight was pretty obvious that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I enjoy the solitude of caching alone, but I also enjoy caching with my kids.

I am fairly new to geocaching but so far prefer to go with at least one other person. Unfortunately I don't think my husband and teenage sons care as much about geocaching as I do. On the upside, my husband did go with me to look for one on Mother's Day.

I cache with just my 5 Year old son and sometimes our dog. But the last trip out (no dog with us) was a little scary as I slipped near the rivers edge. I was able to get back up, but that night had an anxiety attack thinking "what would my poor little boy have done out there in the woods if I had gone in? So now i am very wary of going too deep into the woods or any place else that seem a bit dangerous with just my son and I. We would like to find Geocachers to go with around here. But most near us have already gotten all the caches around us. Hope we find someone new to go caching with. (anyone out there around Athens, GA?)