whats the term for a geocacher that doesn't log anything online.

Freeloader? Um, excuse me? "One who does not contribute or pay appropriately; one who gets a free ride, etc. without paying a fair share"

Are you saying all basic members who have not place a cache themselves are bad people, because they do not (or not yet) contribute?

Almost every child under the age of 16 is a bad person because they take food, clothing, education and shelter and give nothing back?

Is every football, baseball, basketball fan who does not have a paid club membership a bad person because they enjoy the game on TV but do not pay?

Let me contribute this: I am so offended by this.

way off the topic of "whats the term for a geocacher that doesn't log anything online."

but it always makes me laugh when someone hears or reads a single word in a conversation and it hits home to them and they take it totally out of context and twist it totally around then they describe exactly what there own guilt makes them feel about themselves.

:)

I'm not hating on you for not subscribing to the premium account.

Edited by lansharque

Hey, I'll admit it. For a long time I never bothered to log my finds online, and I just recently started participating in the online community. I'd just grab the coordinates, and go off and find the caches.

At the same time, I didn't do the whole TB/ Coin thing either. I'd sometimes sign the log and didn't bother to trade. I just liked the process of looking for it.

Sometimes, people are just freaks. What can I say?!

Finding the cache and signing the log is one thing I have no problem with (although I do appreciate the log entries for my own caches). My issue is the reverse: those that log online but never signed the log.

I wonder why it is that people can get so indignant about people who post a Found it online for a cache they found but just weren't able to sign the log for some reason such as they forgot a pen or the log was wet, yet have no problem with people who find the cache and sign the log yet never post a Found it online.

The puritans are able to twist the language of a guideline meant to invalidate additional logging requirements or a list of steps explaining geocaching to beginners to mean that you must sign the log, yet they ignore where the same list says to use your GPS to assist in finding the cache and to share your experience online. I'd would be like the OP and complain that some people are selective about which rules to apply and ignore the ones they don't care about - except that the problem is these aren't "rules" in that sense.

The point of geoaching is to have fun looking for hidden containers. The Geocaching.com website is just a ancillary social media website where these containers are listed and where geocachers can share their experience of searching for the caches. Sharing your experience should be entirely optional, just as trading is optional, and using a GPS to find the cache is optional. The problem may be that some people treat an online find as some kind of score and want a black and white definition of when to use this log so they can call others cheaters if they use a slightly different definition. Certainly bogus Found It logs, such as couch potato logs where the person never even looked for the cache, should be deleted by cache owners because they are not sharing the experience of the cacher. If someone looked for a cache and is certain they found the container, they could easily feel justified in using a Found It log; particularly in cases where they would have sign the log but had forgotten a pen or found the log was too wet to write in. Some people are comfortable posting a Found It even when they didn't find the cache if the cache owner says that it is OK to do so. I refuse to be indignant about these sorts of logs and let it get in my way of enjoying geocaching. I'll continue to enjoy geocaching whether there are people logging Found It that didn't sign the log or whether there are people finding caches that never log about it online. I'll continue to scratch my head in wondering why forums are so full of people who care about this.

I hide my caches for others to enjoy. BUT I also get enjoyment from reading the online logs. it is the way I can tell if others are enjoying my caches. I routinely check out their profiles to see if they have entered where they are from, and if not, go to their finds to see the general area they cache in. It is nice to know (for me) when my cache has had a visiter from afar, for example, or that my caches are drawing finders that I may have met at an event, or that here is a new cacher in the area, etc.

I would be thrilled if one of the old timers on here, (like TAR) were to suddenly log one of my caches!

Alas ... I guess I'll never know ;)

I feel it is a matter of courtesy, and a bit of giving back to the hider, to log my finds online.

I guess "ghost cacher" is as good a name as any.

I hide my caches for others to enjoy. BUT I also get enjoyment from reading the online logs. it is the way I can tell if others are enjoying my caches. I routinely check out their profiles to see if they have entered where they are from, and if not, go to their finds to see the general area they cache in. It is nice to know (for me) when my cache has had a visiter from afar, for example, or that my caches are drawing finders that I may have met at an event, or that here is a new cacher in the area, etc.

I would be thrilled if one of the old timers on here, (like TAR) were to suddenly log one of my caches!

Alas ... I guess I'll never know ;)

I feel it is a matter of courtesy, and a bit of giving back to the hider, to log my finds online.

I guess "ghost cacher" is as good a name as any.

If I ever get up your way I'll be proud to log one of yours!

I have the greatest respect for anyone who hides caches, I thank and appreciate all cache hiders and enjoy every cache.

It's kind of a quandry... remember the book/movie Catch-22? I don't log online for a number of reasons, but I don't want cacher's to think I don't appreciate them, but if I log TFTC (Which to me literally means Thank You For The Cache) then people have bastardized the intent of that note to be an insult.

So, it's either I spend time logging caches that I don't want to log or I'm a jerk and insulting the CO.

If I really believed that enough COs cared about the issue I would spend less time in the forums and use that time to log caches, I suppose, but I don't think many really care about the issue. I'm pretty active in the Alabama Geocachers Association, and with over 1000 members the complaint has never been made in our local DixieCachers.com forum, and several of us don't log our finds online, so at least in my area it's not an issue.

I am one of those that do not log finds. I enjoy looking for them, but no interest in logging them.

Agree... Not out of spite or anything but not to worried about how the online community feels about my logging habits at all.

Edited by CVGpilot

I log my finds online just so I can see the ones where I've been and occasionally check in and see what others thought of the cache. First few I didn't do good online logs.

Sometimes I'm a little bummed out when there is room in a log book to put little notes but people don't write anything but I don't let it ruin my experience. I personally don't much like reading the subsequent online posts where it's just TFTC or something but understand others might just be going for the smiley or keeping trakc of where they've been.

I do quite enjoy reading the more detailed online and real life logs though.

I log all of my finds online. I do this for three primary reasons:

1. Because it is a really convenient, easy and neat way to keep track of my finds.

2. It seems to be, by design, an integral part of the overall geocaching game.

3. It's about the numbers.

Edited by Team Cotati

I would think that if there were an option to just click "found it" without the need to type something up, there would be a bigger turnout of logging online. Even just for the simple fact of keeping it straight what you've found already.

I did not take the time to read the two pages here before posting this, but it also might be a case of mistaken identity, or use of the term "coin." As a newbie to this sport, I started out without reading much into the terms like TFTC, muggled, or coin. I know a couple of the mini/micro/roach (not sure what one yet) caches that I visited had nothing more than a log and a stubby pencil in it. I left what I was thinking was a coin. One so small all I could fit in it was a dime, and I called it a coin. We (My family) had no clue what swag was. We left quarters and dimes in most places calling them coins. ... I'm even getting confused as I type this and need to find the geocaching dictionary of terms/words for the game. I only hope to get better and better at reading these posts with TFTF so I can TCB ASAP and LMore and TLess. Just a FYI. :)

I did not take the time to read the two pages here before posting this, but it also might be a case of mistaken identity, or use of the term "coin." As a newbie to this sport, I started out without reading much into the terms like TFTC, muggled, or coin. I know a couple of the mini/micro/roach (not sure what one yet) caches that I visited had nothing more than a log and a stubby pencil in it. I left what I was thinking was a coin. One so small all I could fit in it was a dime, and I called it a coin. We (My family) had no clue what swag was. We left quarters and dimes in most places calling them coins. ... I'm even getting confused as I type this and need to find the geocaching dictionary of terms/words for the game. I only hope to get better and better at reading these posts with TFTF so I can TCB ASAP and LMore and TLess. Just a FYI. :)

You may be interested in Prime Suspect's "GeoLex".

I've not used or heard any specific term for those who don't log on-line; I would still call them geocachers.

In my limited experience (1 year/500 finds/2 hides), most people do log on-line. As a finder, I always log on-line, for the reasons Team Cotati gave.

1. Because it is a really convenient, easy and neat way to keep track of my finds.

2. It seems to be, by design, an integral part of the overall geocaching game.

3. It's about the numbers.

I agree point 2 is optional. But I like to give feedback about caches I find, and to record my experience. And about the numbers; for me it isn't the number of smilies, I just like the statistics - e.g. the difficulty/terrain grid, the number of different countries I've found caches in, etc.

As a cache owner, I like to receive logs, so that I know what cachers think.

If it became the norm that most people did not log, I would find that disappointing as a cache owner. But I don't see that happening, and I don't see it as a problem if a minority do not log on-line.

I would think that if there were an option to just click "found it" without the need to type something up, there would be a bigger turnout of logging online. Even just for the simple fact of keeping it straight what you've found already.

Not for me. I don't even keep track!

I found my first ~600 caches alone, with an eTrex Yellow which had no cache page storage or note recording feature, so I was carrying stacks of cache printouts and would write notes about each find on the printout so I could match logs and caches when I got ready to log them. I wrote long logs for almost every cache and for the first year or so everyone said they enjoyed reading about my experiences.

Then we got the Alabama Geocachers Association running and held a lot of events. As the AGA grew I met many cachers and found that I enjoyed the people of the game as much if not more than the game itself, so I started caching with others and after six months or so I rarely cached alone. That is still true to this day. I love geocaching and find some just about every week, but I rarely go alone.

Going with others meant that I never knew where we'd end up. It didn't matter to me, I let them call the shots on where and what kind and so on, since I like them all. And, it didn't matter if I had found it before; watching them hunt a cache when I knew where it was turned out to be great fun. So, paper caching in that environment obviously didn't work, I had to go paperless. I mounted a laptop in my cachemobile with a GPS, street maps and GSAK, with wireless and cellular internet access, so if a spur-of-the moment wild hair led us to head for another area or even state (it happens pretty often!) I could get new PQs on the road. I kept 500 cache pages in my GPS and 1000 in my PDA so I would be prepared for wherever my geopals wanted to cache.

For the most part we cache using 'Next Nearest' and don't read the cache listing or hint until we get there and look first. That means that the cache name, type and D/T ratings are all we know about the next cache. We'll sometimes use that info to skip multis and puzzles but for the most part we'll hunt whatever is closest.

For a while I carried a notepad and would write down the GC# of each cache I found, intending to log them when I got home. More often than not sometime during the caching day I would get to talking to my companions and forget to write down some of them, so that wasn't very accurate, and since the list wasn't accurate anyway I would just stop writing them down.

Then I started using CacheMate and I would mark my finds in my 60CSx or PDA with all good intent of uploading them when I got home. I rarely did. It just didn't interest me.

I thoroughly enjoyed the hunt but when I got home I didn't bother with plugging up my PDA and uploading them, so I quit recording them at all.

Caching with others allowed me to get lazy, and I will take just about any opportunity to get lazy. :) I wouldn't even attempt to keep track of which caches we had done, I would just wait a day or two until they had logged our finds and then log the caches that my geopals had logged (the ones I was actually there for). If I log any at all these days this is likely the method I use.

However, what I found was that stats and numbers meant nothing to me, and the people I was with were already logging the caches, so I didn't have to! That's cool, it relieved me of a burden and reduced the stress of logging, and I'm all about reducing stress.

One of my issues with logging is that I suffer the lingering results of a traumatic brain injury which affected my left temporal lobe, which controls a number of things, but in my case mostly short-term memory. Thus if I go out and find 10 caches in a day when I get home and sit down at the computer I cannot tell you what caches I visited that day! The same is true if I write down a list of the caches I visited that day... when it's time to log them I can't tell you which one was the really cool one... as often as not I will remember the details, where I parked, the trail, the hide, why I thought it was cool, but don't ask me which of the 10 I visited that day that one was, I won't have a clue!

Example: I have a twice-daily task, a MARS (Military Auxiliary Radio Service) radio net that I check in to every day at 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. to pass messages in support of the US Navy. I have to set an alarm at 5 minutes before the net... if I set it 15 minutes before the net I will get distracted and forget about it, and either be late or miss it altogether... and that's a task that I do twice a day every day. If I can't remember that then you can understand how logging caches requires me to have an elaborate note-taking system in place... and that's more of a PITA than I am willing to go through just to log caches!

Interestingly my long-term memory works much better... I can remember the names and details of just about every cache I have ever visited, somewhere over 4000 now, though some may take more prompting than others. For the most part I remember the name of every cache I have visited when I see it, or the area... once I am within a half-mile of a cache I found last month or seven years ago I can take you to it without a GPS. I have gotten all the way to GZ before remembering that I had been there before, but that's only happened maybe ten times. A few times I have hunted a cache with friends and they went to sign the log, only to find my name already in it! I had totally forgotten that cache.

Like with Alzheimer's victims memory loss does have its advantages and disadvantages. If I introduce myself to you at an event the chances are great that in five minutes I will have forgotten your name. If we agree to meet somewhere for lunch you had better call me shortly beforehand or I will have forgotten all about it... not just when, where and who, but that I had made plans at all! Unfortunately that makes folks think that I don't care enough to remember them or to pay attention, and I hate that, because I really do care and wouldn't stiff anyone on purpose. I meet people at events all the time and we will go caching after the event. The next day I most likely can't remember who I went caching with! After my accident my wife would make me make notes about everything, until she discovered that I would forget to read the notes.

On the other hand I am always meeting new friends! :D

Anyhoo, those are some of the reasons that I don't log online. Those and my belief that the CO knows I've been there when he checks his cache log, and the friends who were with me know where I've been, and that's enough for me.

I've logged all the caches I've found, and enjoy reading others' logs, especially on some of the caches I'm about to go hunt for. It's also enjoyable to sort of re-live the finds when I write my logs. I also like to read about the adventures of those finding my hides.

As for the trackable issue, there is a flip side to the original question. A few months ago, I dropped two trackables in two different caches on the same day while on the way to spend the weekend with relatives. Before I could get back to a computer the very next evening, two different cachers not only took the trackables from those caches, but "grabbed" them from me on the web site - I've never had that happen before, or since. I thought that was extremely rude, and discourteous to the trackables owners, since they never got virtually dropped into those caches, and therefore would not have accumulated the mileage they deserved. I gave both cachers a slap with wet noodles via email, grabbed them back, and dropped them in the caches, as I thought I was going to do while logging my finds. I also told those discourteous cachers what I had done, and that they could then go back and properly retrieve those trackables.

Moral - don't be so quick & anxious to get those trackables recorded through your hands. If the trackable you picked up is not listed as being in the cache you took it from, look on line to see who last possessed it, and send a short and sweet note asking if they know of it's whereabouts, or if they've been able to log it into the cache where you found it. AND GIVE THEM A FEW DAYS TO RESPOND! As mentioned in other posts, they may be on vacation or for other reasons be unable to get to a computer. Do some research before you go off half-cocked!

TAR's post was pretty interesting. I'm the opposite in some ways. I'm obsessive about logging all my finds online, and in the exact order I found them. I did several caches this past Sunday before and after a 10 Years! event. When writing up my online logs later that night there was one cache that I simply couldn't remember if it was the last one I did before the event or the first one after. I racked my feeble memory and agonised over it for a half hour before deciding it didn't really matter in what order I logged it. We all roll different.

TAR's post was pretty interesting. I'm the opposite in some ways. I'm obsessive about logging all my finds online, and in the exact order I found them. I did several caches this past Sunday before and after a 10 Years! event. When writing up my online logs later that night there was one cache that I simply couldn't remember if it was the last one I did before the event or the first one after. I racked my feeble memory and agonised over it for a half hour before deciding it didn't really matter in what order I logged it. We all roll different.

I'm also really obsessive about logging all my finds online, and also about trying my best to write something really interesting. I love to read the logs of others, and I also like to go back and read our old logs sometimes on particularly memorable caches. And, like TAR, I remember just about every cache I've found. When my husband and I drive around, I notice a location where we cached in the past, and I'll say, "Oh remember that cache?" (I think it drives him nuts actually).

And that's the way I like to do it. But, I have no problem whatsoever if folks don't log online, or if folks do log online and just say TFTC. I always say this is a game that we get out of it what we put in, and I honestly really appreciate that we have as much freedom as we do to play the game in our own ways. I think that's pretty cool.

The only time that "playing the game your own way" becomes a problem is when it affects someone else negatively. We have several cache hiders around here who delete people's online logs if they don't write an interesting enough log, and that kind of bothers me...

Interestingly my long-term memory works much better... I can remember the names and details of just about every cache I have ever visited, somewhere over 4000 now, though some may take more prompting than others. For the most part I remember the name of every cache I have visited when I see it, or the area... once I am within a half-mile of a cache I found last month or seven years ago I can take you to it without a GPS. I have gotten all the way to GZ before remembering that I had been there before, but that's only happened maybe ten times. A few times I have hunted a cache with friends and they went to sign the log, only to find my name already in it! I had totally forgotten that cache.

Hmm... I guess that explains why you've been calling me Rick for years.

;):):P:)

We have several cache hiders around here who delete people's online logs if they don't write an interesting enough log, and that kind of bothers me...

Anyone whose log has been deleted because it 'was not interesting enough' should contact Groundspeak to have their log restored.

I agree 100%. I don't know those folks well enough to ask if they have or not, but I will mention it to them if I see them at events in the future.

This thread is rather timely because I have been recently been considering how I want to play the game.

A couple of days ago I got my 999th find. I've been caching for a bit less then 3 1/2 years so achieving the 1000 finds milestone has been a long time coming. During that time I started by trying to find every cache near me, gradually expanding my radius until at one point I had found every cache within 15 miles. I've also done a lot of caching far from home including finds in 17 states, and 10 countries on three different continents. I've also hidden or adopted 27 caches, most of which I'm pretty proud of.

In the past year or so I've been become growingly displeased with how the game is being played. The whole Trail of the Gods debacle bothered me on many levels. In general, I saw a double standard in the kinds of practices both hiders and finders consider acceptable. It seemed that there were many practices which many here have considered bad form, but because the ToTG resulted in a power caching experience those "bad form" practices were accepted all in the name of trying to find as many caches as possible in a day. There have been

many other instances where I have felt geocaching has become too competitive, even to the point where the celebration of the 10 year anniversary of the game became a contest to some to try see who could attend the most events.

As I started to get closer to the 1000 milestone I began to take note of some of the finds I was making and wondered why I was even searching for some of the caches I found and the answer was, "I needed another smiley to get to the magic 1000 finds milestone". Now that I am on the brink of that find (a few local cachers have told me they'll be placing a 1000 finds golden ammo can in my honor) I don't care if I ever get to 2000 finds or even 1001 finds.

I have considered the "stop logging online" approach but like someone else that posted in this thread I am a bit in a quandary. I have always been good about writing the appropriate kind of log, whether is a found it, did not find, a note, or maintenance log (I've never done an SBA) and recognized the importance of acknowledging those that contribute to the game by placing interesting hides and letting a CO and others in the community when I couldn't find a cache (and will try to explain why so everyone is better informed). Stopping online logs would, for me, eliminate a practice that I consider important to the game.

Secondly, while I don't care about my total find count, or how many caches in a day, or being being able to put down FTF in my log, I do enjoy some of the statistics that can be captured about my experience. Specifically, I have enjoyed finding caches in new states and counties and seeing more and more "red spots" on the U.S. and world maps filled in. If I were to stop logging line I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

So rather than changing the way I play the game there are a few things I will be doing going forward.

A will be much more discriminating in which caches I choose to seek, especially locally.

I will do my best to keep on posting useful online logs for those caches I do find (or DNF).

I will try to encourage others to place caches that have redeeming qualities other than an opportunity to provide one more smiley face.

As a hider, I will be archiving a few of my caches and may replace some of them with more difficult (in terms of difficulty rating or terrain) finds. If someone wants a find on one of my caches they're going to have to work a little harder. There are plenty of easy P&Gs available already and I'm not going to contribute more.

In any case, thanks for starting this thread and providing me with an opportunity to articulate how I will be changing my logging practices as well as other aspects in how I play the game.

To us it is NOT about the numbers. We are far from prolific GCr's & that's the way we want it. I like what we do when we do it too much to make it work as I suspect it is for many with big numbers. That said we are both loggers & non-loggers. If I find a cache to be particularly lame or uninteresting I may or may not take the time to log it. Some just don't deserve the effort. The quality of the hide has diminished severely in the last 2-3 years. We probably would have 1/2 again more if I had logged them all.

Hmm... I guess that explains why you've been calling me Rick for years.

:lol::):lol::D

DOH! I talked to you at the 10th Anniversary last weekend and thought you were Rick618! Sorry! :)

And yes, that's what a bum memory does to me!

I must apologize to Rick for mistaking you for him! :D<_<:(

One of the things that attracts me to Geocaching is there are a million different ways to go about it.

I found my first Cache w/o a GPSer because I was fimiliar with the area and knew exactly where it was by reading the logs. I'm not a premium member, and I carry a note book with printed cache pages...I know, so 2003. But that's how I like to roll and if you don't like it that's too freaking bad. Although, I do log online, and I could log on my phone I usually wait until I'm at home or office to log it.

On the topic of what you write in a logbook...Depends on how much thought, I thought you put into a cache. If it's a micro someone just threw out there because they had to hide a cache you're going to get a TFTC and that's it from me. However, if you've done some research and I find it interesting I will get a long winded comment on it.

Edited by outsidenKS19

I log all my finds online. The cache owner spent time, effort and money to hide the cache. The very least I can do is to let him know I found it (or not as the case may be). I see it as a matter of simple courtesy.

To answer the OP, I've heard the term "Ghost Cachers" used for those who don't long online.

I know a cacher that has been a member since October of 07. He has logged one cache online. I know he has found more than that. I was thinking about him the other day and the term "shadow cacher" came to mind. He is not a ghost, we just don't see him.

I like to log my caches online, mostly because I like to go back and read the logs of other people that find it after me.

I like to see if there are other cachers who often find the same caches as I do, and to see if anyone else that I passed on the trail was also a cacher.

The numbers are also important to me, but only in a competing with myself sense, and to keep track of milestones. Let's face it, there are cachers out there who could kick my butt number wise any day! And that's fine by me.

Also, untill reading this forum, I never knew it was a big deal to some people when all you put in your online log is "tftc" or the like.

I admit I'm guilty of this. Some caches are just unremarkable. If i put my caching experience in every log, it would be just as boring to read, and take me longer. "Walked down the trail that I usually walk my dog on, found the cache" Don't get me wrong, I enjoy every single cache that I find, otherwise I wouldn't do it.

If I had an interesting experience during the cache, or if it was a place that I hadn't been before, I mention that in my online log, but not the physical log. I always thought I was being courtious by only signing my name and date, to save room and make the log book last longer.

This thread has been eye opening for me, I had no idea some people cared so much about these things. Geocaching to me has always been really casual, so long as nobody is stealing the caches, or their contents, I'd be happy.

I am also curious why someone geocaching with a map and compass bothers you?

I would just stand in awe of that guy, perhaps bow and declare that I'm not worthy....

Yes! I totally agree with this, I wish I had the patience to do so, because the one cache I found this way was THE most rewarding, by far!

As for posting....we have been geocaching as a family for a fairly short time, and when we started becoming more active in it, I decided that I needed to sit down and figure out how I wanted to play the game. I log online, because I like reading other people's logs. It bothers me that "TFTC" is sometimes not appreciate by the CO, but sometimes that is really all I have to say about it. I think that the CO likes to know who has been there and what they thought, so it's respectful to log it.

I try to log in a timely manner, because I will forget where I have gone,read the same cache pages over and over, and feel it is courteous to say thanks to the CO shortly after I have "used" their hide.

We keep a log book at home that we record everything in. Finds, DNF's, trackables, etc. It is fun for us to look back at where we have been and what we have done.

All that said, I am a bit of a data junkie, so I really enjoy all the logging and tracking. Some people don't. I don't judge them.

Only exception-if the cache needs repair,etc., I find it just it rude not to let the CO know. That should be logged if at all possible (again, if I'm backpacking for the week, I am not lugging my laptop along and would likely not have wifi even if I did...always exceptions :anicute: )

For me it has gone full circle in the beginning I think cache finders spent a lot of time writing a story about their adventure to the cache in the Physical log. Now for me If the cache is story worthy I will do it online and include pictures as well. Most of the fun is finding the cache but the additional fun part for me is logging it online. Sometimes I will even go back and read some of my older logs reminiscing I guess.

Scubasonic

I log 'em all. Sometimes I'm wordy, sometimes not so much. I don't see TFTC as an insult, but I'll say a bit more than that. If you find one of my handful of caches, I really enjoy seeing your log, even the ubiquious TFTC. And, if my post sez "post from my superdevicephonethingy" it's because the phone thingy adds that all by itself, without my prompting, but I've never seen that in my logs from the phone. It's just handy to do it, no great feeling of technical superiority or anything like that. AND I don't have to remember a week's worth of caches when I get to a more potent computer.

Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

hairball