Garmin 450 and Taiwan maps

TeamWIF

I am new to this whole world of gps and bought a garmin oregon 450 for Geocaching. I am in Taiwan this week and want to cache, but the GPS is not picking up any satelites. I assume this is b/c I have no Taiwan maps loaded? Where can I get maps cheap :D for my oregon 450 for Taipei? I am only here for 3 more days, so need something downloadable. Appreciate any insight anybody has!! Thanks!

Edited by TeamWIF

I am new to this whole world of gps and bought a garmin oregon 450 for Geocaching. I am in Taiwan this week and want to cache, but the GPS is not picking up any satelites. I assume this is b/c I have no Taiwan maps loaded? Where can I get maps cheap :D for my oregon 450 for Taipei? I am only here for 3 more days, so need something downloadable. Appreciate any insight anybody has!! Thanks!

You should still get satellites.

Get free maps here. Linky

If your Oregon isn't broken, maybe it's a jammer near your location.

Try a different position or see if a second gps device (mobile phone maybe?) can get a better signal.

Your location had nothing to do with maps on your device.

So if you wait maybe 15 minutes with a good sight to the sky around you should find more signals or your device is damaged.

When was the last time it worked?

If you changed location by a considerable distance, which you probably did going to Taiwan, the GPSr needs to reacquire almanac data from the satelites. This could take 30-60 minutes. On the older units you could speed this up by giving your approximate location - just checked on my OR300, but did not find a way to do that on it. Also noticed two of the strength bars were green border with white fill which I do not recall seeing before. BTW, when you return you will have to reacquire the almanac.

Tried again tonight ... it took 10mins for it to find 5 satellites ... looks like it needs some time to 'learn' the satellites in the area ... thank you to all of you for the posts - you were bang on ... PATIENCE is the best virtue!!

Edited by TeamWIF