Any reason why Garmin has to shut down after USB removal?

Ugh. I love my new Oregon 450, but this whole shutting down once I remove the USB cord is a PITA. Perhaps folks have found a work-around, or perhaps they have already shared their discontent with and heard back from Garmin on this?

Thanks.

My Vista HCx doesn't do this. Plug and unplug all I want. It doesn't shut off even if I've just transferred new tracks to it. In fact, you can watch the tracks appear on the units screen as you transfer them.

Ugh. I love my new Oregon 450, but this whole shutting down once I remove the USB cord is a PITA. Perhaps folks have found a work-around, or perhaps they have already shared their discontent with and heard back from Garmin on this?

Thanks.

My Vista HCx doesn't do this. Plug and unplug all I want. It doesn't shut off even if I've just transferred new tracks to it. In fact, you can watch the tracks appear on the units screen as you transfer them.

My Vista HCx does this, but does a countdown so I can abort the shutdown if I wish. Maybe the behavior can be turned off in the settings?

If you're in mass storage mode, it will shut down to force a reboot so it can read any new .gpx or .poi data. This reboot really isn't optional (and you will notice that if you haven't loaded any new .gpx files, the reboot is faster).

If you are just running it off usb power, and its acting as a gps, it will prompt you if you want to stay on or turn off.

If your seeing different behavior than this, post some details.

My guess is the shutdown from Mass Storage mode is necessary because of different software being loaded depending on mode. The full user interface (and GPS receiver) aren't loaded in mass storage mode.

I think on the Oregon to avoid the shutdown the mass storage features would have to be included as part of the main GPSr operating system. Unlikely to see that added as a feature.