Three guys from Oregon 695 caches in 24 hours.

With 70 or 80 finders on average, I would imagine the logsheet would be getting pretty full after 5 weeks. Doing maintenence every month on 500-700 caches would be rough..

From my perspective the real maintenance nightmare was damage to the logs.

The Eclipse mint containers, of which there were many, have an inwardly rolled lip. The presence of the lip negatively impacted log removal. In my estimation contributed to log sheet damage. Fortunately we had a pair of needle nosed pliers which allowed Psychopedics and myself to swiftly and cleanly extract the log sheets.

Congratulations on your new world record.

695 archived caches in 24 hours has never been done.

I am now searching my neighborhood archived caches for another powercaching trail.

I'm certain that in one spot, over 3 caches have been archived. If I can find all three of them, do I get to log all three? They are within 30 feet of each other. ;)

Why do you have to be snarky regarding anyone's attempts other than yours? It's kind of sad.
OK then, let me be the snark...

the caches were archived. The land owners or managers didn't want people trampling around out there anymore. Groundspeak agreed. These guys decide it doesn't mean them.

And all except one post is congratulating them? That's what I don't get.

Have I got something wrong here?

1. As I understand it, Groundspeak didn't archive the caches, the cache owners did.
  2. It has long been held that logging an archived cache online is OK. I have found a number of caches while traveling only to later discover that they were archived prior to my finding them. I still logged my finds online without guilt.

Your accomplishment (and 1$) will get you an egg McRubber at McDonald's.

Congratulations!

I hope you are suitably impressed with yourself.

I could go for an Egg McMuffin right now.

(It should be noted that for those people who are interested in the subject, new records are quite interesting and wirthy of recognition. I fail to understand why others would try to put these cachers down simply because they found lots of caches in one day.)

[*]As I understand it, Groundspeak didn't archive the caches, the cache owners did.

[*]It has long been held that logging an archived cache online is OK. I have found a number of caches while traveling only to later discover that they were archived prior to my finding them. I still logged my finds online without guilt.

Sure, I've logged archived caches too. You really can't see the difference here? You think there would be no problem then, if 100 others decided to go out there despite being asked not to? 50? A dozen?

I fail to understand why others would try to put these cachers down simply because they found lots of caches in one day.)

That's not the reason (for me anyway.) I'd feel the same way if it were only one highly technical cache that was archived, say, because it was in a geologically sensitive area, and then someone came on the forums bragging that they went and found it anyway because they had already planned the trip.

[*]As I understand it, Groundspeak didn't archive the caches, the cache owners did.

[*]It has long been held that logging an archived cache online is OK. I have found a number of caches while traveling only to later discover that they were archived prior to my finding them. I still logged my finds online without guilt.

Sure, I've logged archived caches too. You really can't see the difference here? You think there would be no problem then, if 100 others decided to go out there despite being asked not to? 50? A dozen?
I fail to understand why others would try to put these cachers down simply because they found lots of caches in one day.)
That's not the reason (for me anyway.) I'd feel the same way if it were only one highly technical cache that was archived, say, because it was in a geologically sensitive area, and then someone came on the forums bragging that they went and found it anyway because they had already planned the trip.
Why did you change my post to make it appear that my position is different than it is?

To your argument that logging 100 archived caches is different than logging just one, I must disagree. The simple fact that the cache owners stated that geocachers were welcome to log these until they were removed on 4/23 makes it OK. If they didn't wish to allow logging of these archived caches, they could have merely added verbiage to the archive log stating that they would not allow future logs. Alternatively, they could have picked them up sooner. Similarly, if TPTB had archived these or any other caches for whatever reason and did not want future people to log them, they would have locked the pages.

Edited by sbell111

I wanted to wait a bit on reading the forum to get an overall feel of how this was being received. I've read through the entire two pages of comments and I'm just amazed. I look at a feat of this magnitude and really admire the effort and tenacity put forth by three friends sharing in an activity that they all cherish. The only thing I can take away from the naysayers out there is jealousy......I know I'm jealous as all get out! They were not going for a trophy, medal or cash reward....for the mere challenge and adventure. Whether they failed or achieved their goal they were going to have a blast and caching memories they will share for the rest of their lives. People......if you have a dream or goal....go for it....or you will always be on the sidelines just issuing an opinion.

I follow this rubric:

1. Did they have a plan with the realization that they could come home with less than they set out for?

YES

2. Noticing a day before their lenghty journey that the trail had been archived (keep in mind not all 695 caches were archived)....did they contact the powers to be and ask if the run was still available to pursue?

YES

3. Were they given approval to go after the caches that had been archived?

YES

4. Did they physically find 695 caches?

YES

5. Did they get their caching names and a date on the log sheet?

YES

6. Did they rehide the cache as well as they found it?

YES

7. Did they do all this in a 24 hour period?

YES

I STAND AND APPLAUD YOU LEGOBOYJJ, RAIN OR SHINE AND ZSTEVE!!! NICELY EXECUTED.

Will this record stand? Most likely not.....based upon their stats and terrain I'd say the number can go much higher on another trail somewhere in the world. There was a lot of negativity when the Wright Brothers dreamed of soaring through the air......let's applaud them and others before them that planned an adventure and followed through on it.

.....and remember to please spay and neuter your pets.

Why did you change my post to make it appear that my position is different than it is?

To your argument that logging 100 archived caches is different than logging just one, I must disagree. The simple fact that the cache owners stated that geocachers were welcome to log these until they were removed on 4/23 makes it OK. If they didn't wish to allow logging of these archived caches, they could have merely added verbiage to the archive log stating that they would not allow future logs. Alternatively, they could have picked them up sooner. Similarly, if TPTB had archived these or any other caches for whatever reason and did not want future people to log them, they would have locked the pages.

I'm not sure how I changed the meaning of you post, but if I did I apologize. I try very hard NOT to do that when I quote someone. As for the question, I guess we just disagree. I also disagree with the points in the response above this one. I don't consider the cache owners to be "The Powers That Be."

If they were asked to archive the caches, I don't think they have the right to tell people "go ahead and log them anyway." That really seems like thumbing their nose at Groundspeak.

I'm guessing that locking the page probably was discussed, but we'll never know about that...

Oh, yeah... I DIDN'T say logging 100 archived caches is different than logging just one, I said just the opposite, under certain conditions.

I wanted to wait a bit on reading the forum to get an overall feel of how this was being received. I've read through the entire two pages of comments and I'm just amazed. I look at a feat of this magnitude and really admire the effort and tenacity put forth by three friends sharing in an activity that they all cherish. The only thing I can take away from the naysayers out there is jealousy......I know I'm jealous as all get out! They were not going for a trophy, medal or cash reward....for the mere challenge and adventure. Whether they failed or achieved their goal they were going to have a blast and caching memories they will share for the rest of their lives. People......if you have a dream or goal....go for it....or you will always be on the sidelines just issuing an opinion.

I follow this rubric:

1. Did they have a plan with the realization that they could come home with less than they set out for?

YES

2. Noticing a day before their lenghty journey that the trail had been archived (keep in mind not all 695 caches were archived)....did they contact the powers to be and ask if the run was still available to pursue?

YES

3. Were they given approval to go after the caches that had been archived?

YES

4. Did they physically find 695 caches?

YES

5. Did they get their caching names and a date on the log sheet?

YES

6. Did they rehide the cache as well as they found it?

YES

7. Did they do all this in a 24 hour period?

YES

I STAND AND APPLAUD YOU LEGOBOYJJ, RAIN OR SHINE AND ZSTEVE!!! NICELY EXECUTED.

Will this record stand? Most likely not.....based upon their stats and terrain I'd say the number can go much higher on another trail somewhere in the world. There was a lot of negativity when the Wright Brothers dreamed of soaring through the air......let's applaud them and others before them that planned an adventure and followed through on it.

Thank you for posting what you did. It's totally not a way that I enjoy caching, but I can definitely respect the amount of effort that this took to accomplish. :blink: It's amazing!

I'm not sure how I changed the meaning of you post, but if I did I apologize. I try very hard NOT to do that when I quote someone.
You changed the meaning of my post by dropping additional verbiage into my post as if it were my position.
As for the question, I guess we just disagree. I also disagree with the points in the response above this one. I don't consider the cache owners to be "The Powers That Be."
Neither do I. TPTB is Groundspeak and it's employees.
If they were asked to archive the caches, I don't think they have the right to tell people "go ahead and log them anyway." That really seems like thumbing their nose at Groundspeak.
You are making the assumption that TPTB asked them to archive the caches. Either way, it has long been held that if a cache is still physically present after archival, it is generally OK to log a find on it.
I'm guessing that locking the page probably was discussed, but we'll never know about that...

Oh, yeah... I DIDN'T say logging 100 archived caches is different than logging just one, I said just the opposite, under certain conditions.

Strangely, in the 'dropped in' verbiage, you attempted to make it appear that I was stating that it would make a difference if it were more caches/cachers. (See bolded bit above.) Edited by sbell111

that is a really high bar comparison. i don't think in 100 years there will be someone talking about their accomplishment, nor will their GPS be enshrined in the Smithsonian. :blink:

that is a really high bar comparison. i don't think in 100 years there will be someone talking about their accomplishment, nor will their GPS be enshrined in the Smithsonian. :)

FYI: The Nevada Geocaching Association has another powertrail in the works-1000 caches along the Extraterrestrial Highway. They are kicking it off with an event that begins at 5AM on June 19 at the east end.

As they said in "Field of Dreams" - If you build it they will come.

At least you won't have to fly to Australia to log 1000 bicycle reflectors attached to trees.

I'm not sure how I changed the meaning of you post, but if I did I apologize. I try very hard NOT to do that when I quote someone.
You changed the meaning of my post by dropping additional verbiage into my post as if it were my position.
As for the question, I guess we just disagree. I also disagree with the points in the response above this one. I don't consider the cache owners to be "The Powers That Be."
Neither do I. TPTB is Groundspeak and it's employees.
You are making the assumption that TPTB asked them to archive the caches. Either way, it has long been held that if a cache is still physically present after archival, it is generally OK to log a find on it.

Strangely, in the 'dropped in' verbiage, you attempted to make it appear that I was stating that it would make a difference if it were more caches/cachers. (See bolded bit above.)

(Sigh) OK, I won't argue the original point anymore. For the record, I understand your position and I did not "attempt" to make it appear different than it is. Could be I just don't know how to use the quote thingy very well. Sorry.

I look at a feat of this magnitude and really admire the effort and tenacity put forth by three friends sharing in an activity that they all cherish.

I'd consider this a "feat" if this were accomplished without the aid of a designed power-trail. When someone finds 695 random caches in 24 hours, I'll be impressed. As it is, it's a couple of guys tearing off down the road for 528 feet, jamming on the brakes, jumping out, stickering the log with no regard to other cachers signatures and jumping back in the vehicle. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

The only thing I can take away from the naysayers out there is jealousy......I know I'm jealous as all get out!

I'm jealous of the fun they no doubt had during the run. Jealous of the number of caches found? Not at all.

They were not going for a trophy, medal or cash reward....for the mere challenge and adventure. Whether they failed or achieved their goal they were going to have a blast and caching memories they will share for the rest of their lives.

I agree with the last part. Power caching isn't my thing but being out with friends, jumping out of the vehicle and "racing" each other to the cache...that's alot of fun.

I don't agree that they weren't doing it for a "trophy". They could've easily gone out on this huge cache run, stockpiled memories to last for years and done it all under the radar. That would've been cool. It's all the crowing about the percieved "world record" that is cheesy. They had to make sure people clapped them on the back for it.

Ack, now I wrote this and I can't remember why I was grouchy. :)

FYI: The Nevada Geocaching Association has another powertrail in the works-1000 caches along the Extraterrestrial Highway. They are kicking it off with an event that begins at 5AM on June 19 at the east end.

At least you won't have to fly to Australia to log 1000 bicycle reflectors attached to trees.

Just to clear things up...

The E.T. Highway Invasion! is not being created by the NGA.

It is the sole work of myself and Clay4 and in actuality, it will be a total of 1051 hides.

There is a bonus Alien Head that will appear in a field consisting of 51 caches.

The event coin is also now in production and can be purchased through us.

A new record coming soon? I think so! :)

It is the sole work of myself and Clay4 and in actuality, it will be a total of 1051 hides.

There is a bonus Alien Head that will appear in a field consisting of 51 caches.

Who is the lucky reviewer?

A new record coming soon? I think so! :ph34r:

I know really, poor thing!! Where do we donate to his/her coffee fund?

I know really, poor thing!! Where do we donate to his/her coffee fund?

Pushing the approve button one thousand consecutive times could lead to a worker's comp claim! :)

Oh a little skeptical ehh? Just don't be whining when TheVernShow comes out on top with over 1000+ finds, plans have already been made, procedures double checked, plane tickets purchased, and egos are soaring high.

Looking at the past 2 records, including the guys from Oregon and than there was the group from Nevada. Both achieved the record with many flaws, after studying their attempts we have come to notice these flaws and are using them to our advantage.

Ya'll are done for.

Like I said before, you heard it here first.

Oh a little skeptical ehh? Just don't be whining when TheVernShow comes out on top with over 1000+ finds, plans have already been made, procedures double checked, plane tickets purchased, and egos are soaring high.

Looking at the past 2 records, including the guys from Oregon and than there was the group from Nevada. Both achieved the record with many flaws, after studying their attempts we have come to notice these flaws and are using them to our advantage.

Ya'll are done for.

Hope you are not planning to hit the same strings of caches...........

Ya'll are done for.

Hope you are not planning to hit the same strings of caches...........

I hope that he is. That will be fun!

TheVernShow must be some kind of comedy routine.

1000 caches in 24 hours? That's 42 caches per hour for 24 hours. Yep. Good luck with that.

1000 caches in 24 hours? That's 42 caches per hour for 24 hours. Yep. Good luck with that.

Which would be at least one cache find per just under minute and a half.

Which would be at least one cache find per just under minute and a half.

I love how all of you underestimate us...

We'll shock all of you, just you wait....seriously

Your record is going down in December.

You heard it here 1st

I am so impressed that I'm left speechless.

If they can do it while wearing Blue Bows, I'll be impressed.

Otherwise... THEY ARE DOOMED TO FAILURE and FLAT COCA-COLA FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES!

So there!

I'm surprised the amazing blue bow missed this one.

It's a team of 10 guys all logging using the same team sticker thevernshow. So 10 guys and a 1000 caches each on a different part of the trail, why that is only 100 per guy. And if the caches are close enough the job can be done after a leisurely breakfast and before beer time.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Edited by jholly

It's a team of 10 guys all logging using the same team sticker thevernshow. So 10 guys and a 1000 caches each on a different part of the trail, why that is only 100 per guy. And if the caches are close enough the job can be done after a leisurely breakfast and before beer time.

I'll still be impressed if they do it wearing bright blue bows... :unsure:

I'll still be impressed if they do it wearing bright blue bows... :unsure:

your all really quirky, and actually its a team of 3, 1 driver, 1 with the gps, and 1 man on camera. All in the same car, plus we arn't using stickers, all of the logs will be handwritten by the same person just to make it a fair record. Yes I did say camera thats because we will be filming footage of this feat so it can be made legitimate.

Yes I did say camera thats because we will be filming footage of this feat so it can be made legitimate.

Now there's a movie I can't wait to sit through... 24 hours watching y'all chase micros. Ouch! :unsure:

ugh.... :lol: well you can say what you want. It will be done, and its not going to be straight 24 hour footage of finding caches....its called editing.

Yes I did say camera thats because we will be filming footage of this feat so it can be made legitimate.

Now there's a movie I can't wait to sit through... 24 hours watching y'all chase micros. Ouch! :unsure:

ugh.... :) well you can say what you want. It will be done, and its not going to be straight 24 hour footage of finding caches....its called editing.

Get yourself some thick skin, 'cause you are going to take a lot of heat and kidding both over this. Trust me on that one. I've helped blaze the trail for you by doing this already and lived through (barely!) my world record run! :)

GeoWoodstock V Dallas Record Run

24 Hours

1 Rental van

4 Germans

4 Americans

1 Sharpie

293 caches.

No, they weren't set up in a nice row for a record. :lol:

The Team consisted of:

Ed, The AlabamaRambler (AKA NatureFish)

Max, Poppy of Nonnypoppy

Mike from Cache&Keri

Mike, Golf from GolfNutz

Roland, darth_maul_3

Tammo, Spuchtfink

Michael, M.Zielinski

Carsten, geoPirat

Found 312 Caches in 24 Hours and had over 40 DNFs, 17 caches were disallowed because we split up at one point for 9 on a bridge and 8 on a walking trail.

Signed as HCT ( Hanseatic Cache Team ).

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

ugh.... :) well you can say what you want. It will be done, and its not going to be straight 24 hour footage of finding caches....its called editing.

Get yourself some thick skin, 'cause you are going to take a lot of heat and kidding both over this. Trust me on that one. I've helped blaze the trail for you by doing this already and lived through (barely!) my world record run! :)

GeoWoodstock V Dallas Record Run

24 Hours

1 Rental van

4 Germans

4 Americans

1 Sharpie

293 caches.

No, they weren't set up in a nice row for a record. :lol:

The Team consisted of:

Ed, The AlabamaRambler (AKA NatureFish)

Max, Poppy of Nonnypoppy

Mike from Cache&Keri

Mike, Golf from GolfNutz

Roland, darth_maul_3

Tammo, Spuchtfink

Michael, M.Zielinski

Carsten, geoPirat

Found 312 Caches in 24 Hours and had over 40 DNFs, 17 caches were disallowed because we split up at one point for 9 on a bridge and 8 on a walking trail.

I give you mad props for that!!! Thats definitely hard to do. Especially since they wern't set up in a nice row for ya! haha

So far here is what we have:

3 teenagers who are immensely fit.

A rental 4x4 jeep (capable of people holding onto sides and jumping off)

Backup tanks of fuel (as to not have to return back to a gas station)

A ton of power snacks, water, and gatorade.

A map of the area with all the caches marked

3 Gps devices, 1 which is backup in case of of failure.

All coordinates already logged.

I'm not really sure how much driving we will actually be doing...just have to be prepared for everything out there. Even have first aid kits and what not. We just want people to know we are actually 100%, and not some phony Pennsylvania kids trying to stir some stuff up.

ugh.... :lol: well you can say what you want. It will be done, and its not going to be straight 24 hour footage of finding caches....its called editing.

You do know most of the caches used for the 695 cache record have been archived and removed, don't you?

And did you know about the 1,000 cache power trail being released this month? Is that what you'll go after? I think the record will be above 695 by the time you get out there.

You do know most of the caches used for the 695 cache record have been archived and removed, don't you?

And did you know about the 1,000 cache power trail being released this month? Is that what you'll go after? I think the record will be above 695 by the time you get out there.

I'm way ahead of you. and no we will not be attempting this at the new power trail that is being released...unless someone bests us.

Before I derail this thread even further, and undermine the accomplishment of Legoboy et al, the Aussie Power Trail was an april fools joke. It was a little early on March 31st, but I'll blame that on the International Date Line, and stuff. :unsure:

Sure is a nice parody of what's coming next though. I foresee a power trail on paved roads every 529 feet, with identically hidden keyholders on the back of road signs. And new world records, of course.

MY God Mr Yuk! When will we see that on RT 98 !? POINT BREEZE TO GREAT VALLEY! Come on WNY,, WHO IS WITH ME!

I'd be impressed if there were even two unique logs out of all the finds. But then, the caches would have to warrant that.

I didn't log any of the 312 caches that we found on that run, nor most of the other 400+ we found during the rest of the week before GW5. :unsure:

Kinda took the wind out of the sails of those who insisted that we did it for the numbers!

We did it for fun, and it was a blast. :lol:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'd be impressed if there were even two unique logs out of all the finds. But then, the caches would have to warrant that.

As someone who has been power trail caching on a microscopic scale compared to the late trail of the God's (i.e. 41 smalls and regulars averaging .15 miles apart on a rural bike trail), I can tell you it is totally freaking impossible to remember them all. Despite having them all marked as found in order in the GPS. With the help of aerial photography, cell phone pics I snapped, and the very rare unique log from people that just stopped by for a few of them, I was able to positively remember about 30 of them. But the other 10 or 11, I was just winging it. I did write unique logs for all 41 though. Even if you don't remember any of them, change up the text a little, people!! I only did about 1/2 of this "power trail", placed in late 2009 and early 2010, and I'd say 95% of the logs on it are copy and paste.

I didn't log any of the 312 caches that we found on that run, nor most of the other 400+ we found during the rest of the week before GW5. :unsure:

Kinda took the wind out of the sails of those who insisted that we did it for the numbers!

Thats awesome!!!! It sounds like it would be a blast, thats the reason why i'm looking forward to this so much! We do plan on logging every one of the caches we find.

Thats awesome!!!! It sounds like it would be a blast, thats the reason why i'm looking forward to this so much! We do plan on logging every one of the caches we find.

Unlike some of the other posters here, I wish you luck.

I would like to see the video when you complete it.

But! be prepared to come back here and eat crow if it doesn't work out.

If you beat the "record" and sign each log by hand with only 3 or four people and are not on a power trail?

excellent.

Try not to break any laws while doing this and stay safe. No "record" is worth risking your life (unless your last name is Knievil.)

Good luck!

Edited by brslk