Delorme PN-30 + GSAK

42at42

Is there a limit to how many caches I can have on my PN. I have 3 PQ's to cover my area. This is aprox. 1500 caches, logged and unlogged. When I download them to my PN and compare them to the list on GSAK, I find there are caches that didn't download. I have heard there is a limit of 1000, but with firmware 2.7 it is unlimited. How do I get all my caches to transfer? It is a real pain to get home and find out there was a cache right where I parked for another cache.

Would Cache Register help?

Edited by 42at42

Cache Register will not help when more than 1000 need to be stored.

CR stores as one file internally on a PN-30 with a file limitation of 1000.

With firmware 2.7, although there is still a 1000 per file limitation,

multiple files may be accommodated as external files on the SD card.

Therefore, if you have the results of 4 PQs with the 500 max for each,

2000 can be put on the SD card of the PN-30.

I have not used GSAK personally, so if your problem is with the usage of that,

others will have to assist you. :laughing:

Is there a limit to how many caches I can have on my PN. I have 3 PQ's to cover my area. This is aprox. 1500 caches, logged and unlogged. When I download them to my PN and compare them to the list on GSAK, I find there are caches that didn't download. I have heard there is a limit of 1000, but with firmware 2.7 it is unlimited. How do I get all my caches to transfer? It is a real pain to get home and find out there was a cache right where I parked for another cache.

Would Cache Register help?

I have written a step by step approach on how to install waypoint on a SD card on your PN. Follow each step carefully and good luck.

Installed firmware 2.7 on your PN. Make a PQ ( be sure to name it on the top ). Open your email and select “save attachment”. Select “Browse” and save to “C:\Delorme Docs\Draw” make a new folder called “GPX”. Select save. Now open the saved folder and unzip the PQ. Open GSAK, click on Macro, run/manage. (if you do not have a macro called DelormeGpxFix installed, go to help on GSAK, select GSAK website, click on macro, scroll down to DelormeGpxFix and install) hightlight DelormeGpxFix and run. Click on folder and select the folder the unzipped PQ (.gpx). Click open, then ok. Should say ok, click ok. Now connect your PN to the computer, open Topo 8. Select Draw, file, then import. Click on the dropdown box and select C:\ Delorme Docs\Draw\GPX. You should see the unzipped PQ, click on it, then click on “open”. PQ is transfer to Topo 8. Now on the PN, the screen shows “data exchange”. Click menu, device setup, enter, connect to computer, data exchange, enter, transfer to SD Card, enter. Back to Topo 8, select export. In the dropdown box “save in “ , click on the arrow and select the letter drive of the PN. Now create a new folder called “GPX”. Once created, highlight the gpx folder. Now in the dropdown box select save as type “GPX file“. Next select the folder above , file name and select the saved folder. Should be C:\Delorme Docs\Draw\GPX\”your PQ”. Click save. Now on the PN, push enter, scroll to the waypoint page, push menu, file, enter, save as ( a waypoint file number will show) select save. The PN will show “saving to GPX file”. Then select menu, file, enter, open, select the GPX number from geocaching ( example: 6647842 ASP Geobash ), select enter. PN will show “Loading GPX file”. Now scroll to the geocaching page on the PN to see your waypoints!

or....

Since you're already using GSAK here's the method I just provided to someone in another thread today. Opening Topo is not neccessary and since you're using the "send waypoints" option rather than exporting, there's no need for the "DelormeGpxfix" macro.

Note: Start with a clean slate, no caches or waypoints in internal memory of your PN-XX

1. Create a new database in GSAK and make sure it's selected.

2. Drag-n-drop your zipped PQ file (which contains both the caches and child waypoints) onto GSAK.

3. Load first GPX to 40 by selecting "GPS" at top and then choosing "send waypoints". You'll first need to choose "GPS" and then "setup" if you haven't already done that (no exporting or importing neccessary).

4. On 40, go to wapoints>file>save as, and name the file what ever you want

5. Highlight and press save. The GPX is now saved to the SD card.

6. Delete all geocaches/waypoints. Don't worry, the file will remain on the SD, it's just removed from internal memory.

7. Repeat all steps to load another PQ and continue the process for as many PQs as you can fit on the SD (lots).

OK another problem.

I downloaded one PQ that had 341 not found caches. I sent them to the GSP and checked, there was only 248 caches on the GPS. I checked some of the caches and I could see some of the ones are missing? This is really frustrating.

How many waypoints are on the GPS?

The limit of 1000 is combined waypoints and caches.

I delete all caches first. My first of 3 PQ's is the one with 341 caches. It only downloads 248 of them?

That's not what I asked. How many waypoints are on the device? They're shown on a separate screen - you might have 752 waypoints that you aren't telling us about.

You may also have some corrupt data blocking things. Do a Hard Reset (#4) as described at http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Hard+Reset+and+Boot to resolve that.

Did you delete all caches AND WAYPOINTS? Remember the 1000 limit is for the total of both.

Which method are you using to load them? It's possible you have somthing corrupt in the GPX file and the 40 doesn't like it. Try running that PQ again.

Edit: Dakboy and I are typing at the same time.

Edited by Pax42

I tried the hard reset. It showed 0 geocaches and 0 waypoints. I tried another PQ. This one has 493 caches. It shows 360 caches and 133 waypoints. The waypoints don't show up as caches, even though they are caches.

I had the same problem when I tried it this way. I was not able to resolve the problem. Try the way I described before. I have 4500 caches loaded in my PN.

133 sounds like a lot but have you made sure those are not child waypoints for the caches i.e. parking coordinates, trail heads? Child waypoints get loaded to the PN just as that, waypoints. In gsak they are all mixed together so the total count you see listed at the bottom includes both.

Never mind my last comment. The total count at the bottom of GSAK is just the cache total (at least the way I have things set).

I just pushed a PQ through GSAK to my PN-40 using my method. Total caches in GSAK = 439 + 40 child waypoints. That's exactly what I got on my PN. I'm not sure where the problem lies with the 2 of you.

Edit: Just read my last sentence and realized it sounded kind of bad. I didn't mean to infer there was something wrong with the 2 of you :D , but something else wrong in the process and I just can't think of what it might be right now.

Edited by Pax42

I tried the hard reset. It showed 0 geocaches and 0 waypoints. I tried another PQ. This one has 493 caches. It shows 360 caches and 133 waypoints. The waypoints don't show up as caches, even though they are caches.

It sounds like your GPX is being corrupted when exported before you import to the PN. You'll need to open the GPX with notepad and see what is different about the ones showing up as a waypoint versus the ones showing up as a geocache.

The "child" waypoints as delivered from a PQ as a separate file will have "waypoint" icons in contrast to the caches which have "geocache" icons. The PNs categorize and separate them on this basis when using 2.7.

Consequently, one needs to select geocaches to see those with the geocache icons and select waypoints to see the others.

Therefore, if those that are apparently missing are the child waypoints,

they may not be missing from the PN, the are just not visible in the geocache list.

Note: The 1000 limitation applies only when the waypoints are stored internally as with fw 2.6 and previous and also apply to each file, on the SD card, when using fw 2.7.

With 2.7, one may have several files of 1000 each on their SC card.

If you don't use GSAK, it is all quite simple with 2.7 and Topo 8:

1. Unzip file attached to email from PQ,

2. Import all files to Topo 8 under the Draw tab.

3. Export all these files to the SD card.

Any questions?

Can you explain your exact method of loading caches before firmware 2.7?

I found out why I couldn't download all caches properly. There was an override on the symbol for the micro's. It caused a micro to be treated like a child waypoint.

Now I cannot get my logged caches to show up.. I will try to figure that out now.

I found out why I couldn't download all caches properly. There was an override on the symbol for the micro's. It caused a micro to be treated like a child waypoint.

Now I cannot get my logged caches to show up.. I will try to figure that out now.

When viewing your list of geocaches, click on the Menu button and select Switch to Show Logged...

When viewing your list of geocaches, click on the Menu button and select Switch to Show Logged...

It shows me "logged Caches - 0"

It is actually showing all logs including my found caches and my caches in the "not logged" section

Edited by 42at42

It is actually showing all logs including my found caches and my caches in the "not logged" section

Sorry but you lost me. Not sure what you mean by "...showing all logs".

Is this a PQ you just loaded to the PN? If so, why would you already have caches showing as found/logged?

It's still sounding like your GPX output to import to the PN is tweaked.

Sorry but you lost me. Not sure what you mean by "...showing all logs".

Is this a PQ you just loaded to the PN? If so, why would you already have caches showing as found/logged?

I for one load all caches found or not found into my PN. No sense in getting all excited over a cache I have already found and I can always chuckle at the folks trying to locate it.

Loading found caches just takes away from the 1000 internal limit. If I included them with unfound caches in a PQ of a 20 mile radius of home, I would get mostly found caches. If you want them on the 40 why not do a separate PQ of only found caches and load them as a separate file?

Edit: I may have misunderstood your post and you are loading them as separate files.

Edited by Pax42

Nope. You didn't misunderstand me. I load them in as part of the unfound caches. I load about 20% less than the 1000 limit anyway. If you look at my stats, I'm still under 400 finds since 2003. The caches I look for are mostly on trails.

I realize this begs the question "Why?" from some players and the answer is and should be, because I can and that's the way I play. I'm past asking why someone wants to have what they want on the GPS. They choose to play the game their way and if the technology allows it, it begs the question back... Why not?

=-=-speeling and correction to my answer-=-=

Edited by TotemLake

Loading found caches just takes away from the 1000 internal limit. If I included them with unfound caches in a PQ of a 20 mile radius of home, I would get mostly found caches. If you want them on the 40 why not do a separate PQ of only found caches and load them as a separate file?

Edit: I may have misunderstood your post and you are loading them as separate files.

I'm not sure to whom you are referring.

However, in his first post, the OP noted a desire to have his PN-40 host about 1500 caches, found and unfound.

To accomplish that, the update to firmware 2.7 is a necessity.

I think that part of his wraparound is trying to do to much initially.

GSAK is not an absolute requirement for the initial load of the 1500.

My advice is to put that aside until he can get his initial load accomplished.

That can be done by importing the unzipped PQ results, GPX files into Topo 8.

The subsequent exporting of those GPX files to the SD card is all quite routine.

When he has that accomplished, then I would encourage him to partake of GSAK.

In the last 2-3 months I have tried all of the above, except Topo 8 and Cache Register. Here is what I do to load the unit. I load all found and unfound as well as disabled. If you follow my steps you will get them showing all the proper icons. (To those who ask why, If I want to place a cache I have all of the caches in my GPS to make sure I'm not too close. Plus I like to be reminded of past hunts.)

Step 1

Step1.jpg

You need to tell it what kind of GPSr.

Step 2

Step2.jpg

Choose Delorme then PN-30

Step 3

Step3.jpg

Now we setup what to send under the Send Waypoints option.

Step 4

Step4.jpg

The symbols as defaulted won't show all details so click Change Symbols.

Step 5

Step5.jpg

Choose Combine Both

Step 6

Step6.jpg

Step7.jpg

Choose one of the combinations then select the icon from the bottom drop down menu. Repeat until all have been set as you want. You can look at mine in that picture to see the icons that match GC.com's the closest. Once done click Save

Step 7

Step8.jpg

Step9.jpg

Now change the items I have pointed at in the pic and then name your settings. That way you won't have to do this every time.

Now you can plug in your PN-30 and turn it on. Choose Data Exchange on the unit. Choose a cache in GSAK as the center point (unless you have less than 1000 caches). And send the waypoints. It will now look very close to your GC.Com map page.

If you have ver2.7 you can follow the instructions posted above to save to the SD card and repeat until your card is filled up.

or....

Since you're already using GSAK here's the method I just provided to someone in another thread today. Opening Topo is not neccessary and since you're using the "send waypoints" option rather than exporting, there's no need for the "DelormeGpxfix" macro.

Note: Start with a clean slate, no caches or waypoints in internal memory of your PN-XX

1. Create a new database in GSAK and make sure it's selected.

2. Drag-n-drop your zipped PQ file (which contains both the caches and child waypoints) onto GSAK.

3. Load first GPX to 40 by selecting "GPS" at top and then choosing "send waypoints". You'll first need to choose "GPS" and then "setup" if you haven't already done that (no exporting or importing neccessary).

4. On 40, go to wapoints>file>save as, and name the file what ever you want

5. Highlight and press save. The GPX is now saved to the SD card.

6. Delete all geocaches/waypoints. Don't worry, the file will remain on the SD, it's just removed from internal memory.

7. Repeat all steps to load another PQ and continue the process for as many PQs as you can fit on the SD (lots).

Ah ha! This is just what I was looking for! I was starting to get annoyed with spending so much on my PN-30 if I was going to have to load it ALL the time. But this is perfect!