U S POWER SQUADRON

MICKYD

It is interesting to note that the U S Power Squadron

has been given credit for recovering many benchmarks along both the east and west coast dating from what appears to be the mid eighties. I'm curious why they

were involved. Can any one shed a light on this activity?

Great work RDW, thanks for the research, it is quite interesting.I wonder if the USPS uses GPS technology

when they recover the survey disks? I would hope that our efforts in recovering these benchmarks would supplement and add to the data already collected by the USGS and groups like them.MICKYD

I work for a company that sells different supplies to USPS members. Most are quite pleasant, but I have some horror stories as well. I refuse to go boating with members, and they'd probably be wary of 'Cachers.

They have different gradings as part of their individual 'rank', including 3 different navigation ranks. They have 'predicted log' contests as an activity. In a relatively sheltered area (bay etc.), they follow a predetermined route using a chart, compass and tide/current info. BUT NO WATCHES, nevermind electronics. The object is to calculate their individual time around the course.

I too doubt they will be climbing mountains, I shipped out a 58" belt today, and that's not the largest I've heard of icon_eek.gif !!! I have found a mark they reported as missing, it took a bit of bushwhacking and reading local history, but I found it. I've been at this since last August

I work for a company that sells different supplies to USPS members. Most are quite pleasant, but I have some horror stories as well. I refuse to go boating with members, and they'd probably be wary of 'Cachers.

They have different gradings as part of their individual 'rank', including 3 different navigation ranks. They have 'predicted log' contests as an activity. In a relatively sheltered area (bay etc.), they follow a predetermined route using a chart, compass and tide/current info. BUT NO WATCHES, nevermind electronics. The object is to calculate their individual time around the course.

I too doubt they will be climbing mountains, I shipped out a 58" belt today, and that's not the largest I've heard of icon_eek.gif !!! I have found a mark they reported as missing, it took a bit of bushwhacking and reading local history, but I found it. I've been at this since last August

Could it be? I do think that the PS does look for these items in a co-effort for the Federal Goverment to determine the actual coastline of the USA.

This would allow for the known acctual location of Local,State and Federal Limits on Bounderies of Water surrounding the United States. This would be based upon the known location of said markers and the last know positions of "Lines of Demarcation" of land mass's. These are the farthist (outcropings on/over water) of two US land mass's (Point to point over water).

Sofa, King, We, Todd, Did