Location Triggers and "Next" triggers.

pictom

Sorry if this information is already posted but the search feature is not working for me on these discussions.

I am about to build my first Wherigo cartridge and this is without having played one as I do not have a device to play.

I am writing my script now and there are locations in which the user must pass the same location twice. For example, they will have to cross a bridge running East/West. When they get to the East part of the bridge, they will be told to walk West. Then at the West end, they will eventually be told to walk East. Upon arrival at the East end of the bridge I need a different message displayed than the one that was displayed the first time they were at this location. Is this possible?

Is it also possible to say something like "enjoy the artwork and when ready to proceed, press "next"?

Sorry if this information is already posted but the search feature is not working for me on these discussions.

I am about to build my first Wherigo cartridge and this is without having played one as I do not have a device to play.

I am writing my script now and there are locations in which the user must pass the same location twice. For example, they will have to cross a bridge running East/West. When they get to the East part of the bridge, they will be told to walk West. Then at the West end, they will eventually be told to walk East. Upon arrival at the East end of the bridge I need a different message displayed than the one that was displayed the first time they were at this location. Is this possible?

Is it also possible to say something like "enjoy the artwork and when ready to proceed, press "next"?

Sure it's possible, just create yourself a variable, then add something like...

If flag =false then message "Walk West"

set flag = true

else

message "Walk West"

end if

So, you just change the value the first time you walk in.

As for the 'artwork' question, wouldn't a standard message box do? You have to press OK to continue anyway.

FC

Thanks FC,

Since this is my very first Wherigo that I am building and I have never played one due to not having a pocket PC (I'm getting an iTouch in the mail this week but not sure if that is considered a "pocket pc" sure hope so) I am uncertain about some things. I may have took on something that is too challenging for me at this time.

I was not aware you had to press "ok" to continue anyway.

Thanks and I'm sure I'll be posting more questions later.

WOW, this is really difficult. I can't even get myself started after I wrote a script. I was in the process of trying to figure out points, meaning points on a map that would trigger an event and I can't even do that right.

The builder opens up a window and anytime I do any activity, it takes about sixty seconds to do anything. Is this normal?

I also can NOT zoom in on the map so I am basically randomly guessing on where to go and then I found something to go to Google Maps to fine tune the area and I just get script errors over and over so I have to have my mouse on the red X and hit enter and the red X at the same time.

I kinda understand why there are not a lot of wheirgos out there. This seems way more difficult that it has to be.

I'm so confused I don't even know what question to ask.

Can someone tell me how they would bulid one of these? I mean, let's start with teh script, what exactuly do you need there?

I know I need the text of the character. If I could view a map that would load properly, and I could click on it to define an area that would be cool but not if I have to wait sixty seconds for it to reload.

If you are trying to use maps when building your cartridge, you are unlikely to have much joy with the current state of the Groundspeak builder. I'd suggest you try Urwigo (another .NET application) or Earwigo (a Web-based builder). See their respective pinned threads at the top of this forum section.

Thanks. I decided to do this one step at a time and ONLY do the very first step in the very first tutorial, Which is to assign zones. and I have a lot of zones.

My problem is as stated above. You can't zoom in and get an accurate placement. For example, if the train station platform is 30 feet wide and 80 feet long, that's what I want my zone to be but with the maps, it's much larger because I can't click a smaller area.

I discovered I can edit online which looks cool but nothing but Javascript errors.

I'll go check out the other programs you mentioned. Is one easier to learn and use than the other one? Does one have better tutorials? I would love a Wherigo Builder for Dummies file. Of course, if the map thing worked, I'd probably be happy too.

Back to the drawing board for me . . .

Thanks for your imput.

Thanks for the info.

I jsut don't seem to be having any luck here. I feel as if I wasted days of work for nothing.

Just my luck that I downloaded urwigo and am completely lost after defining my 47 zones. Now I can't get a simple text message to display when entering a zone because I am not a programmer and the program is not intuitive.

I have posted a note on the Uriwigo page but so far no response.

Creating 47 zones the first time out is kind of like trying to boil the ocean.

I suggest you start by creating a very simple cartridge with one or two zones. That will let you start to play quickly and you can add additional features etc. as you go.

Why not create a cartridge that simply displays a "Hello" when you enter the zone. From there, you can grow your cartridge.

If you are using The Builder, I STRONGLY recommend you frequently save your files and create back ups. In you early days you are likely to make mistakes that kill a cartridge. Being able to step back one layer to a working version will make your life a lot easier.

Finally, this forum is by far the best forum on the net. Everyone is here to help each other. Don't worry about a question being dumb. There are no dumb questions....especially with Wherigo. LOL

Good luck.

Thanks Tequila.

I realize its huge and I can delete some of the zones.

It started out as a Challenge Cache in which the cacher had to ride a free 1.6 mile downtown rail and get off at each stop and take a photo at a point of interest.

Once submitted, the cache was rejected as challenge caches' challenges have to be geocaching related.

It was suggested if I wanted the cacher to go to each stop, I could build a Wherigo cache. Sounded like a good idea at the time but now my cache has been sitting in its hiding spot for about three weeks and I am no further along.

I hate to have to make this a puzzle cache but it looks like that's what I'll do as there is not enough good information for a novice to create a Wherigo worth doing. YES, the info is out there but the problem is actually getting it. The search on these forums don't work for me as I tend to have words I want to search with just four letters and you can not search for words of less than six letters so ZONE gives me no results.

The Wheirgo Builder was good enough for me to understand but I could not define my zones due to the zoom in ability of the builder (it won't zoom in close enough) and the slowness of it.

THe other builder Urigo?? was able to assist me in creating all my zones but now I can't figure out how to trigger a message when someone walks into the zone.

I have posted a message on that thread and so far, no response.

I think I'll have time to look at my files again on Friday and maybe having not looked at it for a few days, I'll find some new button to click on.

Thanks again,

matejcik, it does seem easier to understand until you get to a feature you don't quite get and then that one thing can be a stumbling block or actually put things at a standstill. It was so easy to define the areas I wanted but my next step of triggering an action upon entering the zone stumped me.

I have not read your other message but will later today and I may open the editor tomorrow and try again.