gps help please

Hi, ive just come back from wales on a very nice holiday and done some geohunting, i found about 15 and to say the sites was nice in an understatement, anyway i was using a garmin vista black and white, it did serve me well but i had to use my iphone with it for hints maps etc and it was using my phones battery alot, so im looking for a device that will do all that so i dont need my phone at all, im doing some overtime so have got money to spend but what is the best one, im going to use it for geohunting only, any advice would be great, Thanks in advance.

Hi Mate.

I would reccomend one of the Garmin Dakota or Oregon all basically do the same thing but basically get a little fancier as you go up the model range. I have the oregon 450 and love it. Make sure you get one or add maps.

feel free to contact me if you want any more advice.

steve

also pop along to an event or two and ask people to show you their toys.

you can then see some of the other options out their and get a first hand opinion.

for me i am paperless with memory map and a pda and it has been good for most of my finds.

i have ordered an oregon 450, took advice on here and looked on the net for hours,hope ive made the right choice, does look good though.

I got one a few weeks ago. Very pleased. The 3-axis compass is very useful - no more having to hold the thing level. I also got the OS GB Discoverer maps for it. I prefer the OS maps as they are much more detailed than the Garmin topo maps or OpenStreetMap. I've found I can run it the whole day with one set of batteries.

So, just dump a few PQ's into it and off you go with all the information at your fingertips (literally!)

Chris (MrB)