OMG I hit a roo!

No Roos here in Lower Alabama... lots of opposum, armadillos, and squirrels though. There's also tons of deer.

I prefer squirrels. They make a very satisfying *thwack* sound when you run them over.

(PS. I am not a cruel woman at heart. I love animals, but I have waged jihad against all squirrels due to four... yes, FOUR... trips to the Nissan dealership for squirrels that liked to nest in the engine block of a certain Nissan Titan. When you put THAT kind of money into an engine wiring harness, you get bitter... and then you get even.)

You never know about Alabama...

Just at dawn one morning I was driving home from a caching trip to Florida, tired, talking on the CB to a trucker behind me to keep both of us awake, when I see... something. Something big. Step off the median into my lane. It's a mirage, one of those visions you get when you're way too tired to be driving. Oh, wait, it's an emu.

AN EMU!

I stopped in time, fortunately so did the truck behind me. AN EMU? Where the heck did an emu come from? An emu in the road in south Alabama is not something one expects to see! This thing was six feet tall and could care less about us. It walked down the middle of the road with me and the truck creeping along behind it like it didn't have a care in the world. An emu parade. Just about the time my now-fully-alert brain registered the fact that emus are supposed to be good to eat it left the road and we moved on. Heckuva way to start a day!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I hit a turtle once. The darn thing darted right out in front of me. ;)

In my defense, though, I just plain didn't see it because the setting sun was particularly glarey that day. It was on a stretch of road that goes right between two ponds and judging from all of the stains, I'm not the only one who has hit one. Still, though. A turtle for crying out loud. ;)

That was my cousin Tommy. He was wearing his safety shell. The doctor couldn't save him though. That OK, I paid my mortgage with my inheritance.

I was approaching a parking spot for starting a cache hunt and a silly grouse flew straight into my car. I was only going about 5 MPH and it knocked him silly but no apparent damage so he just walked off in crooked fashion. Several times I have hit buzzards with my car but also not hard enough to damage anything. They are slow taking off and go the wrong way.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

A close friend who works for the California Highway Patrol was headed north on Hwy 101 above Big Lagoon en-route to a call. The road had a thin low lying fog just off the surface of the road. Head lights picked up what initially appeared to be highway reflectors.

" Wait a minute there are no reflectors in this stretch " he immediately locked the binders and slowly, ever so slowly rolled to a stop as the reflectors got bigger and bigger. Whew, to a dead stop just feet behind the white back-sides of six Roosevelt Bull Elk estimated to be in the 1800 to 2200 pound range. The elk apparently just turned their heads and looked rearward as if to say ... " what is your problem "

Well the story was uproariously funny as it was retold and embellished ... especially the part about having to clean many bushels of brown out of their shorts and patrol car.

On a serious note there are three herds of Elk in the vicinity of The Little Red School House at Stone Lagoon, Orick and Prarie Creek State Park. From time to time folks total their rigs and suffer serious injuries.

I almost hit a dog in Mallorca a couple of years ago.

I was out in the wilds, and swerved to miss it.

I thus spun the car and ended up with a tree through the back window.

Cost me $500 excess.

Wished I'd have ploughed straight thru that dog!

I will next time!

Edited by currykev

I almost hit a dog in Mallorca a couple of years ago.

I was out in the wilds, and swerved to miss it.

I thus spun the car and ended up with a tree through the back window.

Cost me $500 excess.

Wished I'd have ploughed straight thru that dog!

I will next time!

Yes indeed, buy the animal (sorry PETA, that's the way it is)!

Have seen too many people die because they (or someone else) swerved to miss a critter.

Stand the car on it's nose, but do not swerve, as it is the absolute BEST way to lose control (at hwy speed).

As a result, if you are involved in an accident (outside of hitting the animal) you are ALWAYS at fault, because of your decision to swerve and (in)voluntarily lose control!

Your choice, kill or maim a human being v kill or maim an animal.

I concede that if you hit a horse, cow, elk or moose -- you have a problem, 'cuz you will most probably get hurt. ;);)

Back in the day when I was a young, fit, keen Police Officer, I was patrolling a country road late at night when a small owl flashed over the patrol car. I head a thud and a "twanging" sound. Stopped the car and realied that the owl had flown into one of the radio aerials on the roof. Did a search of the verge and came upon the owl sitting, swaying and looking very dazed. It walked off a bit like Charlie Chaplin swaying from side to side ! I thnik it had a head ache in the morning !!

No Roos here in Lower Alabama... lots of opposum, armadillos, and squirrels though. There's also tons of deer.

I prefer squirrels. They make a very satisfying *thwack* sound when you run them over.

(PS. I am not a cruel woman at heart. I love animals, but I have waged jihad against all squirrels due to four... yes, FOUR... trips to the Nissan dealership for squirrels that liked to nest in the engine block of a certain Nissan Titan. When you put THAT kind of money into an engine wiring harness, you get bitter... and then you get even.)

Was your mechanic rubbing the harness down with peanut butter?

You know, I wish. At least there would be an explination!

It's like that Nissan was Panama City Beach, and the squirrels drunk naked college kids at spring break. The neighbor's car was like Destin and Fort Walton Beach: a little too high class for them.

You never know about Alabama...

Just at dawn one morning I was driving home from a caching trip to Florida, tired, talking on the CB to a trucker behind me to keep both of us awake, when I see... something. Something big. Step off the median into my lane. It's a mirage, one of those visions you get when you're way too tired to be driving. Oh, wait, it's an emu.

AN EMU!

I stopped in time, fortunately so did the truck behind me. AN EMU? Where the heck did an emu come from? An emu in the road in south Alabama is not something one expects to see! This thing was six feet tall and could care less about us. It walked down the middle of the road with me and the truck creeping along behind it like it didn't have a care in the world. An emu parade. Just about the time my now-fully-alert brain registered the fact that emus are supposed to be good to eat it left the road and we moved on. Heckuva way to start a day!

The largest Emu farm in Alabama is located a mile from my house, on the edge of Morgan and Cullman county. The other day I was walking in the woods on our property and found the remains of a mostly intact emu leg, presumably dropped by a wild dog or coyote.

Another bit of roadway geocaching weirdness...

I was caching with the young son of a friend when we're driving down a back road and he says "Look at that cow".

So I did.

It had long shaggy hair and strange horns.

It was a musk ox!

Says I to me "A musk ox, in Alabama, now that's weird!"

So I pull over, and there's all sorts of weirdness in this guy's field... like llamas and camels and ostriches and bighorn sheep.

Who the heck keeps llamas in their pasture in Alabama?

We have to see about this, so up the driveway we go and find an exotic breeder farm.

The owner came out to meet us and gave the boy an hour-long tractor-pulled hay wagon tour of his animals. First time I ever saw a bearcat. Now that's a weird animal!

I had to show this place to other cachers so I got permission to hide a cache along his pasture fence.

Unfortunately he's no longer open to the public and didn't want visitors so the cache had to go too, but it's still worth driving by just to see the unusual animals in his pasture.

http://www.tnacres.com/summer.htm

Ha! Don't come to Michigan, if hitting a roo bothers you. You have excellent opportunities of hitting deer (sometimes multiples in one shot), turkey (bad on the windshield as they always lift-off at the last second), an occasional elk (in the Lower Peninsula), rarely a moose (in the Upper Peninsula) -- both of which absolutely decimate a car, and black bear which become rather irritated if you don't kill it outright! :rolleyes:;):unsure:

Second that. I almost hit an adult black bear in da UP. I thought it was a black dog at first, but it kept getting bigger as I got closer.

In 2003 I hid a cache on my lake property (Gone Campin') and was headed for home.

It's about 1 a.m. and I'm be-bopping down the deserted dirt roads through the forest when I saw something in the road. Far to late to stop; because of its size and coloration I didn't see it until I was upon it. I recognized just as I ran over it that it was an owl. Little bitty thing. I try to center it and hope he ducks but he was an owl. Evidently owls don't duck.

Thump.

Dang.

I wouldn't have hurt that little fella on purpose for nothing, but he's dead now, so I thought he'd make an interesting mount.

Walked back, picked him up and it's a Screech Owl, an adult about 8" tall. Man, I hate this, he was a beautiful bird. I tossed him on the back seat floorboard to take to a taxidermist.

Forty minutes later I'm driving up Hwy. 280 and SOMETHING GOT A HOLD ON ME!

Something SHARP is crawling up my leg!

It's dark in the car and I don't know what has got a holt on me, but I want out of that car! Now!

I slide to a halt on the shoulder and throw open the door, prepared to bail out, but when the interior light comes on I see it's that owl. He isn't dead, he had just been knocked out, now he's awake and had made his way up under my seat, and now he's making his way up my leg!

He looks like being run over didn't help him at all. In fact he looks kinda ticked off. And he has sharp claws. But, my Dad's a doctor, he can fix this, so I wrap him in a shirt and take him home.

He had a broken wing, which Dad set and splinted, but worse he had lost an eye. Owls can't hunt with one eye, so this bird could never be released into the wild.

I reckoned that made me responsible for him.

I built a cage. A big one... 6' x 10' on the ground outside my window with a big tree trunk to roost on and such, and I began to feed this owl mice from the local pet shop.

After about three months he's healthy, flying about his pen, and I got to wondering what else I should be feeding this owl besides mice, so I called our local Wildlife Rescue to learn more about the care of owls.

The woman who answered the phone went completely batty on me, literally screaming that I didn't have a Federal Raptor License and couldn't keep the owl and I was to bring it to her forthwith, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Well, that sorta got my back up. The bird was doing fine, and it wasn't like I went after it on purpose.

She didn't want to hear any of that, demanding I give her my name. I hung up.

She used Caller ID to call me back. Swore she was on her way to my house with a Game Warden to collect the owl and put me in the slammer. I laughed. I hung up.

But, I thought... if she got my phone number she can get my address. Time to relocate the owl, with a quickness. Any law that carries a federal stamp of approval is one that I don't want to be on the wrong side of.

So I took him to a friend's house for the night.

I swear it wasn't two hours later before there comes a knock at the door. It's the madwoman from Wildlife Rescue, a Game Warden and a Homewood cop! She's serious about this! And mad too.

I told them that there was no owl on the premises and they were welcome to come in and look, just as soon as they could show me a search warrant. They left. She was not happy. The cops appeared to be amused.

Now, I'm not a scoflaw, I respect our laws and mostly abide by them. Until my phone call to her I had no idea that you had to have a license to rescue a wounded owl. I had never heard of a Raptor License.

Having now researched it I understand why a Federal Raptor License is required to keep these (supposedly endangered) owls, but at that time I just thought I was doing the right thing by keeping the bird alive. And, if she had ever once asked nicely I would have given her the dang bird, but she didn't. From the moment I uttered the words "I have this Screech Owl..." she went into full attack mode and, really, I decided before her rant was done that hell would freeze before she got that bird!

Obviously I can't keep it, I now have local law, state law and a crazy woman breathing down on me, and if what they say is true I'm breaking federal law to boot! Not good.

The next day I took the bird to the Montgomery Zoo, about a hundred miles away, told them I had hurt the bird, nursed it back to health, but that it obviously couldn't hunt and asked if they wanted it. They did, and said that they would make an exhibit cage for it. They were really nice about it and seemed happy with what I had done.

That night the crazy chick from Wildlife Rescue and her Game Warden pal are back at my house. No local cop, no search warrant, but they want that owl.

"Sorry" I said "It died."

"We want to see the body"

"I threw it away in the woods."

"Take us there, we want to see the owl's body."

Wow. This is getting surreal. I told them to go away and come back if and when they had that search warrant, and never heard from them again.

About six months later I heard that the owl was back in Birmingham, at the Wildlife Rescue Center at Ruffner Mountain Preserve. The woman had discovered that the owl was at the Montgomery Zoo and had enough pull to make them give it to her.

I went to Ruffner Mountain a number of times after that, there's a dozen or so geocaches in the park, and she had him in a little 2' square chicken-wire cage where he looked quite cramped and miserable.

He stayed alone and unattended except for a park ranger who fed him in that little cage out behind their office for almost two years before he died.

I guess she won. :rolleyes:

TAR, that is a sad, sad tale.

The largest Emu farm in Alabama is located a mile from my house, on the edge of Morgan and Cullman county.

I have a sudden and overwhelming urge to see this, for no other reasons than you used the words emu farm, Alabama, and largest. I'm genuinely intrigued.

Disclaimer, apparently in 2000 Johnson Emu Inc claimed to be the largest emu-processing opperation in the world. I can't find anything that verifies the claim (that used to be on a billboard along I-65) that his farm was the largest in Alabama. This was during the big emu craze that has mostly died down. I don't really know the status in the grand scheme of largest emu-farmdom these days.

Here is an article from the Tuscaloose News from 2000 about the farm.

Somewhere I have some pics we have taken, I'll dig those up.

In other news... why is this thread not in Off Topic yet?

This was during the big emu craze that has mostly died down.

Big Emu Craze? :rolleyes: How did I miss this? My world... *sniffle*... so bleak... *sniffle*... why?!! That must have been the weekend I spent exploring the inside of my toilet after too many Jello Shots.

This thread is not Off Topic. It is awesome.

This was during the big emu craze that has mostly died down.

Big Emu Craze? :laughing: How did I miss this? My world... *sniffle*... so bleak... *sniffle*... why?!! That must have been the weekend I spent exploring the inside of my toilet after too many Jello Shots.

Here some more info: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...n&q=emu+fad

This thread is not Off Topic. It is awesome.

In the general geocaching (sub)forum it's about on topic a thread about military service, gun ownership, goat farming, any number of occupations (including "nurse") or drum corp membership- I'll grant you that.

3 days ago i thought it was about time to go thru the carwash........ first one in about 6 weeks.

after the carwash it was a quick trip to the supermarket.

I was doing about 80mph along the main road (its a straight road for about 4 miles)

Suddenly out of nowhere a flock of pigeons flew straight across the road. ;)

all bar one made it :laughing: ........ hit just on the corner of the bonnet and in slow motion rolled up the window and off over the roof.

the windscreen went red and smeared with the wipers :blink: .............. and a cloud of feathers in the road behind me. :lol:

saw these a while ago thjought i would share:

weirda143.jpg

weirda034.jpg

weird514.jpg

weird511.jpg

Traveling out of California, north on US 395, into Oregon, I had two baby deers run out in front of me. One ran clear, but as I steered left, the other ran left, I steered right, and he ran right. We did this three more times until I simply had to go straight to keep my car from spinning out. BAM I remember looking in the mirror and seeing his brother run up and smell his dead body. Three miles up the road, I let some hunters know that he was sitting there and off they went to gather the meat.

Tonight I had a run in with a ferocious animal. I was driving along and out of nowhere, WHAM!

Some sort of animal had plowed right into the side of my car. I had no clue what it was.

My caching friend thought it was a coyote or something based on the quick flash that he saw. It has slammed right into the drivers door.

I decided to turn around to see what had hit me and slowly pulled up on a really tiny brown creature. It was an owl.

The weird thing is the little owl was just standing there looking around in the middle of the street. He was still alive!!

He didn't try to get away as I pulled up. He didn't even try to get away when I walked up to it. It didn't even try to get away when I bent down to pick it up. It did, however, decide that it didn't want to be held because when I picked it up it took off and flew up into a tree that we were illuminating with our flashlights.

Lucky for the owl that we stopped as this was a very busy road and quite a few vehicles drove by as we were tending to the poor little owl.

We even discovered why the little owl was so distracted. It had just caught a mouse and was obviously happy. We found the mouse about 6 feet from where the owl was standing. Of course, just to be safe I moved the dead mouse out of traffic so the owl wouldn't end up in traffic again.

I don't know the total damage to my car but it looks like it might be dented and I have a few owl feathers stuck un my side accents.

I just hope the substance the owl was expelling as it flew away wasn't an indicator of imminent death and hope it didn't go into shock.

No Roos here in WNY (at least i aint seen'em mate) but A White Tail jumped OVER the hood of my pick up once as I was driving.

This happened to me once as well. Driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway in foggy conditions. went around a corner and saw a deer start to leap. Cleared my PT Cruiser. Really quite an impressive feat of athleticism on the part of the deer :rolleyes:

Ech. Moose are dangerous creatures to hit. If you hit a deer odds are you'll get away with some minor damage to your car. Hit a moose and you're screwed. They are so tall and heavy that they often crash through windshields. Even if they don't hit your car, keep clear of them in the wild. An angry moose will mess you up.

I had an ecounter with a Moose when I was a kid (8 years old). I believe it was in Maine (somewhere north east US, don't think it was in Nova Scotia). We turned the corner of this windy country road and saw a moose standing in the middle of the road. We had plenty of time to stop safely, and were about 20ft from her. We watched it for a bit. It looked at us, and started walking along the road away from us. We followed it for about a half a mile, keeping our 20ft distance. It apparently didn't develop a great opinion of us during our bonding session as it suddenly stopped, looked back at us, uriniated, and trotted off into a field.

We eventually lost it when it entered the woods on the far side of the field.

Tonight I had a run in with a ferocious animal. I was driving along and out of nowhere, WHAM!

Some sort of animal had plowed right into the side of my car. I had no clue what it was.

My caching friend thought it was a coyote or something based on the quick flash that he saw. It has slammed right into the drivers door.

I decided to turn around to see what had hit me and slowly pulled up on a really tiny brown creature. It was an owl.

The weird thing is the little owl was just standing there looking around in the middle of the street. He was still alive!!

He didn't try to get away as I pulled up. He didn't even try to get away when I walked up to it. It didn't even try to get away when I bent down to pick it up. It did, however, decide that it didn't want to be held because when I picked it up it took off and flew up into a tree that we were illuminating with our flashlights.

Lucky for the owl that we stopped as this was a very busy road and quite a few vehicles drove by as we were tending to the poor little owl.

We even discovered why the little owl was so distracted. It had just caught a mouse and was obviously happy. We found the mouse about 6 feet from where the owl was standing. Of course, just to be safe I moved the dead mouse out of traffic so the owl wouldn't end up in traffic again.

I don't know the total damage to my car but it looks like it might be dented and I have a few owl feathers stuck un my side accents.

I just hope the substance the owl was expelling as it flew away wasn't an indicator of imminent death and hope it didn't go into shock.

You could have at least tried to recusitate the mouse.

What about CPR or mouth to mouse? :lol:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

A number of years back returning to the coast after a life flight ... blasted off from Redding, Calif. ( RDD ) en-route to Eureka, Calif. ( EKA ) about thirty five minutes after wheels up, I was crossing South Fork Mountain at 6,500 MSL. Wham, Thud, Crunch windscreen was covered in blood and feathers and had a major crack, Moments later Wham, Thud, Crunch windscreen caved in and the cockpit was filled with blood, guts and feathers. We had nailed a pair of geese! Flight integrity was not compromised and since we were well beyond the halfway point and there were no landing options in that section of the coastal mountains the flight was continued, however, it was conducted at a speed well below normal cruise speed. Sure glad it was warmish - even at that it was one bone chilling ride into ( EKA ) where we were greeted by a large crowd of " tarmac rats " bearing clean-up supplies. ( This I know is no comparison to Capt. Sullenberger and his encounter with geese above N.Y. City a while back but it sure gives an aviator a healthy respect for nature's airborne critters. )

Edited by humboldt flier

Last Friday, we went out to Potter county, PA to tackle another county in the Allegheny Geo Trail. {LINK}. We stopped in Bradford, PA to pick up our McKean county GeoCoin, and on our way out of town, I had a turkey run into the drivers side corner of the van. We pulled over and checked the damage, and the impact broke out the turn signal module. Throw it in the back seat, and away we go! Fast forward 10 hours, and 7 caches, its time to go home. On our way back to the house, Bambi decides to get suicidal, and jumps in front of my van. Guard rail on the shoulder, traffic behind me and coming at me. We hit that deer dead center, and tossed it into oncoming traffic. Somehow, no body else was involved, but I need to check out the damage. Busted out the headlamp module on the drivers side.

Saturday, we went to the Presque Isle CITO (GC24J3J), and arrived late, so we really didnt get to meet anyone until the end. We were hanging around the 1 open restroom, and caching is discussed. I bring up my adventures from the day before, and I get started, and I hear, YOU'RE BOBDAMMIT!!!! We were reading your log, and laughing about it! We talked to GEOCATZ and the crew for a while. Turns out road kill can be an excellent ice breaker!

Edited by bobdammit

Armadillos. I've seen more road-kill armadillos than live ones by about 10 to 1. Problem is that the poor suckers can jump straight up a few feet when frightened. You can straddle them with your wheels, but they freak out and... ba-bump.

It's a shame, really, because they are the only thing that eats fire ants. 20 years ago, we didn't have either fire ants or armadillos in North Alabama but now we do.

On a caching run to the south. Had an " Anti Disney Experience " Departing the fair town of Willits, Calif. and took out a deer. Later that night stopped in a Morroccan restaurant in San Francisco and had a dinner which featured rabbit.

Sooooooo in effect I killed Bambi and ate Thumper and have been trying to avoid the Disney Police ever since.

Here are some animal experiences I or my boyfriend have had:

1. I'm driving on a highway and I see a cat perched at the edge of the road. Often when I see deer at the side of the road I'll honk to scare them off, and it struck me as funny to do the same thing to this cat. I honked at the last minute and the cat hurled itself into the highway, hitting one of the passenger side wheels. Cat was momentarily knocked out, since it was gone when I made it back. I still feel sad and angry over that one.

2. I've hit a couple of songbirds with my car. One was just stupid, the other was in a group and ran out of room to manoeuvre.

3. I was biking down the street once when I suddenly felt and heard something hit my helmet. I stopped and turned, all ready to be pissed off at some kid for throwing a rock at me. Instead I see this disoriented looking bird hovering nearby! And people say bicycle helmets are stupid!

4. My boyfriend used to be a road mechanic. Once when he was on his way home from repairing some logging equipment, he pulled over along the side of the road to take a leak. Suddenly he heard a huge thump... a deer had run right into his service truck!

Armadillos. I've seen more road-kill armadillos than live ones by about 10 to 1. Problem is that the poor suckers can jump straight up a few feet when frightened. You can straddle them with your wheels, but they freak out and... ba-bump.

It's a shame, really, because they are the only thing that eats fire ants. 20 years ago, we didn't have either fire ants or armadillos in North Alabama but now we do.

I was in Texas delivering once and commented to the dock worker about all the dead armadillos, and he replied in the form this joke:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A:To prove to the armadillo is could be done.

He laughed like crazy, I didnt think it was too funny, but 10+ years later I still remember the joke. Maybe it was better than I thought it was?

I was in Texas delivering once and commented to the dock worker about all the dead armadillos, and he replied in the form this joke:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A:To prove to the armadillo is could be done.

He laughed like crazy, I didnt think it was too funny, but 10+ years later I still remember the joke. Maybe it was better than I thought it was?

Due to migration over the last 30 years we've gone from none to an over-abundance of armadillos. They're second only to wild boar in the amount of destruction they wreak on wildlands.

Park rangers at our Wildlife Management Areas encourage hunters to shoot all that they see.

We call them Possum On The Half Shell.

Like you when I first heard it I thought it was a pretty lame joke but it's hung on and stayed in my mind.

On the other hand they're really good to eat! :rolleyes:

Recipes%20-%20Armadillo%20(Florida%20Chicken).jpg

Due to migration over the last 30 years we've gone from none to an over-abundance of armadillos. They're second only to wild boar in the amount of destruction they wreak on wildlands.

Park rangers at our Wildlife Management Areas encourage hunters to shoot all that they see.

I had no idea. Perhaps the park rangers could be enticed to shoot the moles that damage my yard every year.

Do you have any links on the subject? I'd like to read up on that.

I had no idea. Perhaps the park rangers could be enticed to shoot the moles that damage my yard every year.

Do you have any links on the subject? I'd like to read up on that.

Internet Center For Wildlife Damage Control

Controlling Armadillo Damage In Alabama

“Hoover Hog,” “Poor Man’s Pig,” “Poverty Pig” (armadillo nicknames)"

There were a bunch of small birds in the road. As I got closer they all started to fly away and I thought I heard something but wasnt sure.So when I got where I was going I looked at the fron of the car and didnt see anything out of the norm. I stayed there about an hour and then drove th 15 min back to my house.On the way home the check engine light came on. When I got to the house and popped the hood,there sat one of those little birds,right on top of my battery.He was still alive and breathing.I took a stick and got him out of the car and up into a tree. That was the last I saw of him.And no more check engine light....just a weird occurence I suppose..........

Rpc23

There were a bunch of small birds in the road. As I got closer they all started to fly away and I thought I heard something but wasnt sure.So when I got where I was going I looked at the fron of the car and didnt see anything out of the norm. I stayed there about an hour and then drove th 15 min back to my house.On the way home the check engine light came on. When I got to the house and popped the hood,there sat one of those little birds,right on top of my battery.He was still alive and breathing.I took a stick and got him out of the car and up into a tree. That was the last I saw of him.And no more check engine light....just a weird occurence I suppose..........

Rpc23

:angry::shocked::laughing::angry::ph34r::angry:

My uncle did several tours in EOD in Vietnam. He had a cherry '66 Chevrolet Super Sport that was his pride and joy, and his therapy. Between tours he tinkered and polished and petted that thing until it was spotless perfection. When tinking with that car was the only time I saw him fully relaxed during those years.

He was home on leave and he, my Dad and I took it to Florida to fish the Gulf.

On the way home there was a flock of turkeys in the road. All of us being lifelong hunters (plus there may have been some George Dickel sippin' whiskey involved) the instinct was to bag one of them. I watched in amazement as he swerved a bit and hit one of the turkeys. We heard the tinkling as broken headlight glass hit the pavement, and could see this horrified expression on his face - the immediate disgusted-with-himself reaction to 'what the heck did I just do to my car?!'.

We got out and looked and sure enough he had busted a headlight and bent his grill. I learned a few new cuss words as he stomped about doing the 'How could I be so stupid?' thing.

Finally he calms down, accepts that what's done is done, hey, at least we have a nice turkey for dinner.

He and I walk back up the road to collect - a buzzard! :laughing:

He was not a happy camper. :shocked: