Advice for Summer Vacation

captainmath

This July I'm planning on flying to Minneapolis for a visit to the area with my wife, who is not really into geocaching but willing to participate. After a brief visit to that area, we have time and a rental car for visiting ND, SD, NE, IA, and maybe even extreme northern KS and MO before heading back for our flight home. I'm thinking we may have about ten days, but at this point the timing is still flexible.

I'd be interested in any advice on really nice locations to drive to and hike, and any neat places to stay for a few days. I'd also love suggestions for areas with good geocaching. The one area I've been thinking about is the Badlands in SD... is that a good choice of a place to stay for a little? Are there other favorite destinations you can recommend?

Thanks!

Southeast Minnesota, Eastern Iowa, and anywhere East of the Mississippi would be your best bet for scenery. The Badlands is nice, but between western MN and the Badlands is kind of blah. If you do head that way, check out the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD.

NE, ND, and SD and Western Iowa are pretty flat. Personally, I would choose to head North and East from the airport going through Duluth, MN, Northern WI; the UP of Michigan, and Door County, WI and if time allows, finishing the trip going through Southern WI, Eastern Iowa, and SE Minnesota.

If you enjoy canoeing, you could check out the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Northern MN. You could hire an outfitter for a few days and not have to deal with the hassel of packing.

When you know more of what you want, sent me an email. I have done quite a bit of traveling in the Midwest and am willing to help out anyway I can!

Make the trip all about your wife, and I am sure you will have fun no matter where you go :laughing:

This July I'm planning on flying to Minneapolis for a visit to the area with my wife, who is not really into geocaching but willing to participate. After a brief visit to that area, we have time and a rental car for visiting ND, SD, NE, IA, and maybe even extreme northern KS and MO before heading back for our flight home. I'm thinking we may have about ten days, but at this point the timing is still flexible.

I'd be interested in any advice on really nice locations to drive to and hike, and any neat places to stay for a few days. I'd also love suggestions for areas with good geocaching. The one area I've been thinking about is the Badlands in SD... is that a good choice of a place to stay for a little? Are there other favorite destinations you can recommend?

Thanks!

HI - there are many places in SD to hike and cache - Badlands are fun but a little extreme for a weekend stay. I would recommend heading a little further west to Rapid City and the Black Hills and being a central point for the Badlands, Needles Highway, Spearfish Canyon, and many other parks and paths. East river has some good spots as well Palisades, and most of the Missouri River parks have many hiking areas and most are stocked with caches as well. Good Luck and have fun.

Southeast Minnesota, Eastern Iowa, and anywhere East of the Mississippi would be your best bet for scenery. The Badlands is nice, but between western MN and the Badlands is kind of blah. If you do head that way, check out the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD.

NE, ND, and SD and Western Iowa are pretty flat. Personally, I would choose to head North and East from the airport going through Duluth, MN, Northern WI; the UP of Michigan, and Door County, WI and if time allows, finishing the trip going through Southern WI, Eastern Iowa, and SE Minnesota.

If you enjoy canoeing, you could check out the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Northern MN. You could hire an outfitter for a few days and not have to deal with the hassel of packing.

When you know more of what you want, sent me an email. I have done quite a bit of traveling in the Midwest and am willing to help out anyway I can!

Make the trip all about your wife, and I am sure you will have fun no matter where you go :)

While not disagreeing, Western MN and Eastern SD have some very beautiful and old churches, many with caches placed nearby.

Being from the UP of Michigan, we really enjoyed those and some of the beautifully maintained small cemeteries. While it was a bit disconcerting to not be enclosed by a lot of trees, it was very nice. Pretty darn flat, but nice. :D

It is always. nice to visit country different than what we are used to.

If you can get there, Watertown, SD has the Terry Redlin park. Nice visit and it has caches within it also!

I really appreciate all of the advice I've received so far, and fortunately I think we may have the time to use it all. I've reserved a cabin at the Badlands for a time long enough to get to do both the Badlands and also the Black Hills (although the Black Hills will probably be just a day trip).

I'm really interested in the comment about the old historic churches in Western MN and thereabouts... could you give me a few GC#s so I can try to plan going through there? Both my wife and I would love to see that!

I'm not certain whether there will be time, but if we can swing North up to the Lake Superior region, we might try to get there for a day or two at the end of our time. Are there any specific towns, geocaches or areas there that you'd recommend?

Edited by captainmath