Field notes not working (not talking about date problem)

Hi all,

I have a new Oregon 450, I recorded a few field notes today, I see the correct .txt file in my ./Garmin directory, I can read the .txt file fine and see the notes there, but when I try and upload them (with or w/o the Ignore dates checkbox), I get "0 records were successfully uploaded."

Any tips what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

When you try to upload the field notes, on the GC.com site you have to browse to the Garmin/geocache_visits.txt file and then it should work.

Hi all,

I have a new Oregon 450, I recorded a few field notes today, I see the correct .txt file in my ./Garmin directory, I can read the .txt file fine and see the notes there, but when I try and upload them (with or w/o the Ignore dates checkbox), I get "0 records were successfully uploaded."

Thanks!

When you try to upload the field notes, on the GC.com site you have to browse to the Garmin/geocache_visits.txt file and then it should work.

Yep, I browse to the .txt file just fine, both on my Garmin, and then also on my HD (I copied it there, too), and still "0 records found." I see at least 17 records in the .txt file. :)

Hi all,

Thanks!

Was your GPX file loaded directly from Groundspeak, or was it processed through another utility like GSAK first? I ask this because if the waypoint is not the GC## code, then the Field Notes don't have a way to match back to the cache. When my wife first started using Field Notes, she was having the same problem as you, and it turns out she was loading her GPX file from GSAK and she was using "%smart%" rather than "%code%". Once she made that change, it worked beautifully for her.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Yep, I browse to the .txt file just fine, both on my Garmin, and then also on my HD (I copied it there, too), and still "0 records found." I see at least 17 records in the .txt file. :)

OK so I understand, On GC.com from Your Profile, you select the Access You Field Notes in the right panel, then select the Garmin click 'Here' to upload...

Then click 'Browse', then on 'my computer' find your Garmin/geocache_visits and double-click, then select 'Upload' and it returns with '0 records were successfully uploaded'

That is the correct procedure. Not sure what's going on.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Was your GPX file loaded directly from Groundspeak, or was it processed through another utility like GSAK first? I ask this because if the waypoint is not the GC## code, then the Field Notes don't have a way to match back to the cache. When my wife first started using Field Notes, she was having the same problem as you, and it turns out she was loading her GPX file from GSAK and she was using "%smart%" rather than "%code%". Once she made that change, it worked beautifully for her.

Bingo.

Thanks!

I don't cache in the field with "%code%," instead opting for "%name%," so I send my PQs first to GSAK then to my Garmin. Ugh. So I guess that means I can't use field notes? That makes me a sad panda.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Bingo.

Thanks!

I don't cache in the field with "%code%," instead opting for "%name%," so I send my PQs first to GSAK then to my Garmin. Ugh. So I guess that means I can't use field notes? That makes me a sad panda.

Nay, Nay Sad Panda be sad no more. I use GSAK for everything and your Oregon can display either cache names (in full) or GC codes.

No need to edit names with GSAK like on your trusty 60CSX or eTrex Vista.

In fact there is a fabulous macro that will give you everything AND in a larger, easier to read font (except the hint is still regular size) Linky

Nay, Nay Sad Panda be sad no more. I use GSAK for everything and your Oregon can display either cache names (in full) or GC codes.

No need to edit names with GSAK like on your trusty 60CSX or eTrex Vista.

In fact there is a fabulous macro that will give you everything AND in a larger, easier to read font (except the hint is still regular size) Linky

Domo mucho!

Just a note for those using field notes. Do NOT use the " symbol in your notes (for example, 3X3" TIN) or the entry for that visit will not appear in your field notes. gc.com can't parse it properly along with the other " characters used to delineate text fields in the file.

I use the GSAK field notes macro to upload my field notes to the Web site, and I'm fairly sure it replaces all instances of " with the single-quote version ', which the Web site seems to be able to handle.

If you're not using the GSAK macro, I would suggest using ' rather than ".

--Larry

Just a note for those using field notes. Do NOT use the " symbol in your notes (for example, 3X3" TIN) or the entry for that visit will not appear in your field notes. gc.com can't parse it properly along with the other " characters used to delineate text fields in the file.

I use the GSAK field notes macro to upload my field notes to the Web site, and I'm fairly sure it replaces all instances of " with the single-quote version ', which the Web site seems to be able to handle.

If you're not using the GSAK macro, I would suggest using ' rather than ".

--Larry

my garmin oredon 450 , when i find an cache and i mark it found , it goes to my found items , but when i load it into gsak , it is not marking them as found in the found fielsd list ... any ideas what i am missing , verry new to this app however i am a fast as learning !

thank you !

my garmin oregon 450 , when i find an cache and i mark it found , it goes to my found items , but when i load it into gsak , it is not marking them as found in the found field list ... any ideas what i am missing , very new to this app however i am a fast as learning !

Perhaps this description of what happens may help.

1. Transfer GPX to 450 (from pocket query directly, from cache page "Send to GPS", or from GSAK)

2. Find a geocache, go there, Log Attempt, Found. Geocache now shows up as "Found" on GPSr.

3. At the same time, 450 will add a line to the file geocache_visits.txt showing you found this cache, what time, etc.

4. The original GPX in the Oregon is unchanged. If you import this file in GSAK, it will not change the status to found

What you need to do is to log it on the site (either by selecting the caches manually or using geocache_visits.txt - that's the field notes), then download the new GPX from the site into GSAK (either manually, or from My Finds).

3. At the same time, 450 will add a line to the file geocache_visits.txt showing you found this cache, what time, etc.

4. The original GPX in the Oregon is unchanged. If you import this file in GSAK, it will not change the status to found

A point of curiousity: Is the general consensus that the Oregon/Dakota is looking at the geocache_visits file in conjunction with the gpx file to decide which ones ought not be further displayed as unfound, or is there possibly another location that we have yet to see that flags found caches as found? I ask because it seems to me that deletion of the geocache_visits file has no impact on found/unfound status when reviewing the available unfound caches. So either the cache in the gpx is being flagged (and hence, changed) or we're all missing another file somewhere. Edited by ecanderson
A point of curiousity: Is the general consensus that the Oregon/Dakota is looking at the geocache_visits file in conjunction with the gpx file to decide which ones ought not be further displayed as unfound, or is there possibly another location that we have yet to see that flags found caches as found? I ask because it seems to me that deletion of the geocache_visits file has no impact on found/unfound status when reviewing the available unfound caches. So either the cache in the gpx is being flagged (and hence, changed) or we're all missing another file somewhere.

I'm pretty sure it is not geocache_visits.txt because the way I use mine, I upload and nuke the file several times before I update the GPX. The found caches stay found. This is with an Oregon 300.

I'm really curious about where the information is stored. In GPX\Current? I've nuked that before as well, but don't know if the found caches turned into unfound.

bittsen said that on the Colorado, if he deletes geocache_visits.txt, the found caches become unfound. I'm not sure if it is old firmware, the way the Colorado behaves, or if he's mistaken.

jsut a real quick off topic Q: , does the Oregon 450 support the Attributes feature for geocacheing , (the little icons dog , climbing, hiking icons ect, that are listed under pocket qwerys "Attributes to Include"

i cant ever see them on my caches,

software version 3.40

gps version 3.70

i belive this is the newest versions i am running , however when i run cache app on the gps i can never see these cymbols... thank you

Right, geocaching_visits.txt is purely an output file. A record is added added to the list every time you "log attempt" but this has nothing to do with the internal state of each cache. The found/unfound status of the cache isn't directly visible other than through which list the cache shows up on.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Same thing happened today with my 450. I have uploaded field notes many times, so I know I'm using the correct procedure. Something must be going on at Groundspeak.

OldA'sFan

Hi all,

Thanks!

Same thing happened today with my 450. I have uploaded field notes many times, so I know I'm using the correct procedure. Something must be going on at Groundspeak.

OldA'sFan

when you type in a note when you find a cache , whats that max number of charectors your allowed on the 450 oregon ? , i reach 50 and it overwrites the last letter over and over and over , so is 50 the max for a not ? , seems a lil small to me

when you type in a note when you find a cache , whats that max number of charectors your allowed on the 450 oregon ? , i reach 50 and it overwrites the last letter over and over and over , so is 50 the max for a not ? , seems a lil small to me

I haven't counted the number of characters (on my 550t), but 50 seems about right. And I agree, it's way too small if you intend to enter any sort of "real" log for the cache. I've resorted to using a sort of personal shorthand to enter the information I want to include, then expand the text into a full log when I upload it to the Web site.

--Larry

yes me to , anyone happen to know about my Q on post #15 , would be great !
Post above regarding GSAK is correct. You'll also have to change your profile data at gc.com to shoot you gpx files in 1.0.1 format instead of 1.0 or the attribute data won't be included in your PQs to begin with.
yes me to , anyone happen to know about my Q on post #15 , would be great !
Post above regarding GSAK is correct. You'll also have to change your profile data at gc.com to shoot you gpx files in 1.0.1 format instead of 1.0 or the attribute data won't be included in your PQs to begin with.

ok great good to know i already ahve my pq's se to 1.0.1 was kinda hoping it was supported , apen to know if its supported on any of the newer hand helds ? just wondering software wise now what newer ones then the 450 can do :blink: i know hardware almost the same but sometimes interface is different.