route pq suddenly producing less caches

foam follower

i have a route PQ...the route is a fairly straight route...yesterday i noticed that it was generating around half of the caches it did the day before...i thought maybe it was a bug or hiccup so i waited until today to run it again...same result...when i look at the caches on a map, the swath of caches around the route looks "thinner"...that makes me think that the radius (currently set at the 10km max) isn't reaching as far anymore...maybe the 10km radius has become a 10km diameter instead?...i actually still have the gpx file from two days ago and it's around twice the size of the current one...dunno if any geoprogrammers were monkeying in the route code...thought i'd mention it...

My daughter & I noticed the same thing yesterday. I paid closer attention today to the numbers.

We ran 5 route PQ's. Three are maxed out at 500 caches which we were expecting and the preview PQ agrees with the number.

For the other 2, they're off by about 100 caches each. For mine, the preview shows 463 (which is about what I usually get in th PQ), but the PQ returns only 363. For my daughter, the preview shows 499, but the PQ returns only 405.

I've been making changes to the route code to be more efficient. One thing that has changed is that certain caches would be picked up away from a route that were further away than the expressed distance from route.

The new code drops those but picks up more down the route that wouldn't have been earlier. The map preview on the website will be off until we push out a new release of the that.

I'm working on the code more this weekend so I'll keep tweaking it. Please post routes guid's so I can compare results from old to new!

-Raine

Although I'm not seeing anything wrong with the interactive display, I do have the same issue that kyka has.

2 route PQs ran today:

4274782_To NO Day 3 GPX file has 374, on screen is 415

4279218_To NO Day 4 GPX file has 450, on screen is 496

(removed links since I think no longer needed.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

I had 5 route PQs run (or rerun) at 4:54PM today. I don't know if this is because Raine reran them as "atonement" for PQ errors or something else. (This account shows at least 8 PQs running today. Probably more with the rerun.)

Not complaining. Just mentioning it in case it a problem for GS.

I'm working on the code more this weekend so I'll keep tweaking it. Please post routes guid's so I can compare results from old to new!

Here are the results for my routes along with preview numbers and pq numbers

guid=29d18d45-575c-4690-b3dc-53490a96d9b1 PV-500 PQ-400

guid=5b4ea343-67ff-429b-bc90-8e43f1b9335f PV-487 PQ-483

guid=e223fd8d-b7c6-4383-9443-31268cedd0d9 PV-500 PQ-488

My daughter's

guid=4283c289-e910-43f7-a64f-4c6eb321fea2 PV-500 PQ-488

guid=491c0b41-15cd-4470-ae76-a8c559c9318d PV-466 PQ-459

The only one that's really way off is my first one which I use to fill in the gaps in a couple of areas in Chicago that are missed by other PQ's. It hits multiple areas and avoids others by going through the middle of Lake Michigan. It will eventually be going away when the PQ limit goes up to 1000.

Thanks

Edited by kyka

This behaviour may have changed with the recent PQ1K changes, but it's still not working right. Simple test involving two PQs:

1) "Regular PQ" Show me all caches within 5 miles of my house. Returns 467.

2) "Along a Route" Create a route that runs just from one end of my block to another, past my house. Show me all caches within 5 miles of route. Returns 366.

As test 2 should encompasses the entire area of test 1, shouldn't it have at least as many caches?

RAINE: PM or email me if you want the exact PQ's I ran. Thanks.