Is it safe to downgrade my Vista HCx from 3.20 to 2.80?

nfh

Hi,

I my Vista HCx from version 2.80 to the latest 3.20 version.

I now want to downgrade it again to the 2.80 version, but I'm not sure if that is possible or if it poses some sort of risk for my GPS unit.

So, is it possible? Is it as safe as performing an upgrade?

Yes you can downgrade your software version, but why do you want to do that? Are you having issues or problems that my be solved through the forums?

Just asking. I do not know how to downgrade, I just know that it is possible.

Edited by ao318
Hi,

I now want to downgrade it again to the 2.80 version, but I'm not sure if that is possible or if it poses some sort of risk for my GPS unit.

Have had no problems reverting to previous code on my eTrex Summit HC when they've sent out something I'd rather not have.

Hi,

It is possible, but you will lose all of your customized settings for all the various options.

Thank you all for your replies.

I had this feeling that my unit was slower after the upgrade and I was just wondering if that's just me or if in fact there is a speed diference.

I still didn't downgrade it, but now I know it is possible.

By the way, the unit's software isn't the only thing that can be upgraded. I remember there was also an upgrade being done to the GPS chipset.

Can/should this also be downgraded? And how can I tell the type (B/G/M)?

Thank you all for your replies.

I had this feeling that my unit was slower after the upgrade and I was just wondering if that's just me or if in fact there is a speed diference.

I still didn't downgrade it, but now I know it is possible.

By the way, the unit's software isn't the only thing that can be upgraded. I remember there was also an upgrade being done to the GPS chipset.

Can/should this also be downgraded? And how can I tell the type (B/G/M)?

I was one who advocated for the software 2.80/chipset 2.50 configuration with the Vista HCx. After a couple of the updates, I reverted to that configuration because I didn't like the way the newer versions worked - primarily issues related to multi-path and corresponding inaccuracies in track logs. However, I am now using 3.20/2.90 - which I think is the most current version and am very satisfied with it.

You can revert to the earlier versions but, when you do, it reverts the unit to the factory default settings, except for the welcome page, and erases all the waypoints, tracks, etc., i.e. everything on the internal memory. Download all of the data that you want to keep to your computer so that you can upload it back to the gpsr. Connect the gpsr to the computer and double-click the program for the firmware version you want to use. To downgrade the chipset, you have to have both the rgn file and the updater - preferably both in the same folder. To run it, drag the updater over the rgn file and webupdater will launch and revert the chipset.

It should be possible, but what is the reason you want to downgrade?

GermanSailor

I mentioned it before on this thread: I'm under the impression that this new version is slower than the older one.

Edited by nfh