GPSmap 60 cSx acting goofy

I went out today to do some maint on three of my cashes that were reported wet.

I set the GPS to go to the first one and it worked perfectly. The arrow pointed me to the cashe and the countdown as I neared it worked great.

I then set it to go to my next one, in the same general area a half mile off and headed toward it. Now the goofy GPS was pointing me 180 degrees off but the countdown was still working fine. I ignored the arrow and headed to where I knew the Cashe is. I did not know exactly as I placed it a couple years ago but knew generally where it was.

As I neared the thing I noticed the goofy arrow adjusted toward the cashe but still with the back of the arrow, not the point. The countdown still worked and I finally found it using that.

My batteries are fresh and I had done a full reset a month ago and reloaded the Michigan cashes with GSAK.

Has my GPS had a stroke or what?

Are they worth getting repaired or is the cost of repair as much as a new GPS? if that is what I need. I hope I have some setting wrong but doubt it.

Royal

Just recalibrate. I know they say that you only need to do that when you change batteries, but I have found that it isn't all that uncommon for it to suddenly get confused. I just recalibrate when it acts strange, and everything is as it should be.

[/quot

Thanks for both fast replies. I contacted Garmin and they told me much the same thing, Calibrate! I had not done it in two years, forgot how and since the last place I used it was Hawaii in Feb they figured it might be a bit confused.

I just calibrated it and will try it again tomorrow.

Thanks again, Royal

Of the seven GPS I have had the 60CSx was the best.

The compass, however, was mostly useless. It rarely pointed in the right direction. 180° off was pretty much the norm.

I found over 1000 caches with it, but I learned to ignore the arrow and watch the distance reading... as long as it was going down I was headed for the cache... if I moved and the distance didn't move as much as I then the cache was at a right angle to my movement.

I went out today to do some maint on three of my cashes that were reported wet.

I set the GPS to go to the first one and it worked perfectly. The arrow pointed me to the cashe and the countdown as I neared it worked great.

I then set it to go to my next one, in the same general area a half mile off and headed toward it. Now the goofy GPS was pointing me 180 degrees off but the countdown was still working fine. I ignored the arrow and headed to where I knew the Cashe is. I did not know exactly as I placed it a couple years ago but knew generally where it was.

As I neared the thing I noticed the goofy arrow adjusted toward the cashe but still with the back of the arrow, not the point. The countdown still worked and I finally found it using that.

My batteries are fresh and I had done a full reset a month ago and reloaded the Michigan cashes with GSAK.

Has my GPS had a stroke or what?

Are they worth getting repaired or is the cost of repair as much as a new GPS? if that is what I need. I hope I have some setting wrong but doubt it.

Royal

I'd bet the "hold level" error message was displayed. When you see this, you're not holding it level, and the compass will not be accurate. If you have a problem getting the error to go away, you need to recalibrate. Using NiMH batteries will help, due to their discharge profile.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has done this - the first several times I recalibrated the compass on my 60CSx I held it in my hand and turned myself around twice as directed. Then some kind soul told me that I could just lay the GPSr in the palm of one hand and turn it with the other. Sure - I knew that - right! :)

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has done this - the first several times I recalibrated the compass on my 60CSx I held it in my hand and turned myself around twice as directed. Then some kind soul told me that I could just lay the GPSr in the palm of one hand and turn it with the other. Sure - I knew that - right! :)

I now use my 60csx with the e-compass turned off. To me it works better.

I think you get better results by turning your whole body. It's easier to hold the unit level (very important when calibrating) and it's much easier to turn at a constant speed. It's also easier to read the feedback messages.

I know some people think they look silly spinning around, but these same people don't think twice about laying on the ground underneath a park bench.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I'm having the same problem with my 60csx. Since I primarily let the kids hold the unit, this is pretty confusing for them. Especially as it used to work fine.

Have new batteries, newly calibrated, etc. etc. Still not working properly. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kids are probably having a hard time holding it level.