i fought a few rocks, they won the round, but i won the fight!

bonblu

last night went out with grandkids and found 3 caches before i had to meet their mom and send them home....i went back out and found 4 more....looked for 1 other one, but didn't find it......

i had climbed a small bank to try and locate that "other one", didn't make any progress, so decided to go back across the road......but on my way down the bank i slid/slipped in the mud and landed smack down on my knee on the gravel road....OUCH!!

i looked at my knee and thought...."wow, that probably ought to be stitched up!"......and then the knee went numb....uh-oh...."broken knee cap?" was my next thought....i hit it HARD on that rock....it immediately swelled up....i headed to the nearest town and went to cvs for peroxide....

today i got in to the doctor, he said "hmmm.....that probably should have been stitched up....." lol!!

ordered x-rays and recommended me to ortho surgeon....

x-ray results: no fracture! YAY!!!

going to ortho tomorrow to get fluid drained (hopefully).....

so, the gravel road won last night's round, but i guess i won the fight!!

i'll be geocaching again soon......

beth

ouch indeed, i hope you get well soon

we had our share of interesting "adventure", luckily no injuries yet, except for the customary scratches and bruises :)

.....and the thing i was most worried about was coming home with poison ivy or poison oak.....lol!!

My 6 year old daughter took a spill on a terrain rating 5 cache a few weeks ago - the hill was steep and once she went down, she kept going down. Luckily she stopped before hitting the creek below (otherwise we'd have both ended up soaking wet and cold I am sure!). She was scraped and bruised and crying - but even after looking for the cache for a good half hour, she would not give up. She looked me in the eyes and said "listen dad, we came all the way down here and I don't want to do it again, we are finding it before we leave and that is that".. and we did. (Unfortunately the cache was soaked and full of broken fast food toys that had mud caked in them, so she had to go home satisfied with the cache find by itself - which isn't much to a 6 year old).

We did find 2 pairs of broken sunglasses on the way down the hill, one fairly new/expensive looking - so I am guessing others suffered the same fate - we trashed those out off the trail.

Anyway, we both wish you a speedy recovery! :)

Edited by brendanwood

My 6 year old daughter took a spill on a terrain rating 5 cache a few weeks ago - the hill was steep and once she went down, she kept going down. Luckily she stopped before hitting the creek below (otherwise we'd have both ended up soaking wet and cold I am sure!). She was scraped and bruised and crying - but even after looking for the cache for a good half hour, she would not give up. She looked me in the eyes and said "listen dad, we came all the way down here and I don't want to do it again, we are finding it before we leave and that is that".. and we did. (Unfortunately the cache was soaked and full of broken fast food toys that had mud caked in them, so she had to go home satisfied with the cache find by itself - which isn't much to a 6 year old).

We did find 2 pairs of broken sunglasses on the way down the hill, one fairly new/expensive looking - so I am guessing others suffered the same fate - we trashed those out off the trail.

Anyway, we both wish you a speedy recovery! :)

Your daughter is one awesome cacher.

It's very good to hear that the fall didn't do any permanent damage. I've taken a few spills myself but the one I took that probably hurt me the worst was when I was looking for a cache behind 2 waterfalls. I slipped about 3-4 times landing on my knees and scraping my shins but that wasn't the part that hurt me. My 7 year old daughter was at the bottom of the falls about 30 feet from me crying thinking I was really hurt. That's what really hurt. I assured her I was ok and started to climb back down when what to my big brown eyes did I spy....The cache!!!! Had to go for it and another surprise....FTF. That was my first FTF and very early on in my caching experience. Right then and there I thought to myself, if this is what caching is all about

I'M IN

Edited by leejas72

I took a spill a few years ago while "guiding" some friends on a series of river caches. Hit my shin HARD on a submerged tree trunk. It swelled so much that my friends were joking that there must be an alien hatching inside of my leg.

I did see a doctor about it a few days later, who poo-poo'd it as a simple hemotoma, but I went back a week or two later after it started to feel hot. I was in the hospital that same day, and had a large chunk of flesh removed from my shin, almost to the bone. Not fun stuff. Take care of your injuries!!