Lowrance Endura Downloads... what am I doing wrong?

I was so happy to get my Endura Out and Back in the mail today... but the instruction book is useless. It came preloaded with local caches... but I will be out of state next week. I downloaded the loc files into the drive, but then when I look in the gps, I cannot locate them. What am I doing wrong? OR.... where can I get a real instruction manual beyond just the bare minimum basics?

Anxious to get out there!!!

Airblazer

First off - you don't want the .LOC files - you want .GPX files.

Hook the unit up to your PC and it will appear as a drive letter. From any cache page - select the GPX download box and save the file on the device in the [drive:]\gpx folder.

You can also save GPX result of a Pocket Query in the same folder. See http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm for more on PQs.

Unhook and go caching - don't try to make it more complicated than that.

Moving to the GPS and Technology forum.

Also, don't use a geocache .GPX file (or pocket query) containing more than 500 geocaches. The GPS file management sytem doesn't like more than 500/per file.

Congrats on the new toy!

Be safe.

N

So what is the real geocache capacity for the Endura? (I have a new Safari, if they're different.) I thought I had read on the Lowrance website that it would hold up to 2000 or 3000. But now the site doesn't say (although it says how many waypoints, routes, and trails it holds?). I wanted this unit because it held more caches than my current unit. Am I still limited to just 500 caches ?

If it does hold more (hopefully 3000), why can I only load .gpx files with <=500 caches?

Moving to the GPS and Technology forum.

Also, don't use a geocache .GPX file (or pocket query) containing more than 500 geocaches. The GPS file management sytem doesn't like more than 500/per file.

Congrats on the new toy!

Be safe.

N

So what is the real geocache capacity for the Endura? (I have a new Safari, if they're different.) I thought I had read on the Lowrance website that it would hold up to 2000 or 3000. But now the site doesn't say (although it says how many waypoints, routes, and trails it holds?). I wanted this unit because it held more caches than my current unit. Am I still limited to just 500 caches ?

If it does hold more (hopefully 3000), why can I only load .gpx files with <=500 caches?

Sorry for the confusion. The size of the geocache files, pocket queries, is 500 or less, but in multiples of 500 up to 4000 total geocaches. Hope this helps.

Be safe.

N

Sorry for the confusion. The size of the geocache files, pocket queries, is 500 or less, but in multiples of 500 up to 4000 total geocaches. Hope this helps.

Be safe.

N

Well, that explains why the unit sometimes displays the caches I've uploaded and sometimes doesn't. That's been very frustrating.

But why the file size restriction? Seems silly that it can hold 4000 caches (Yippee!), but I have to upload them 500 at a time. And where is this file size restriction documented? I've been all over the Lowrance site trying to figure out why it would sometimes read and sometimes not read my files.

And when will there be a software update to fix this? :-)

Thanks for the explanation. Knowing the workaround will greatly reduce my frustration with the unit.

Be safe.

N

Well, that explains why the unit sometimes displays the caches I've uploaded and sometimes doesn't. That's been very frustrating.

But why the file size restriction? Seems silly that it can hold 4000 caches (Yippee!), but I have to upload them 500 at a time. And where is this file size restriction documented? I've been all over the Lowrance site trying to figure out why it would sometimes read and sometimes not read my files.

Thanks for the explanation. Knowing the workaround will greatly reduce my frustration with the unit.

Maybe you've noticed but the larger the number of geocaches, the longer it takes to load and sort those caches so I'm assuming this was done for our own benefit.

As for the next update, no one can really say but one is definitly coming. The man closest to that kind of information is the "EnduraExpert" who actually works for Lowrance (great guy to know if you have an issue with your unit!). Give him a holler via PM, maybe he can answer your question or search the last weeks worth of threads using key word "Endura".

Something else you should know which makes loading caches easier is a tool called GSAK ("Geocache Swiss Army Knife") http://gsak.net/. Strongley suggest to give it a look see, especially the macro GPXbyDistance-Children.gsk which helps by allowing you to size the files by the number of geocaches and distance.

Be safe.

N

If loading and sorting 500 or 1000 caches at a time is causing problems, try loading fewer caches. I have never understood why anyone would (normally) need that many files on their unit at one time. Use a program such as GSAK to review and sort PQs prior to sending them to the device. Remove any that have numerous DNFs or that you don't want to hunt for whatever reason. Load no more caches on the device than you would expect to hunt on a particular day. It only takes a few minutes to run a PQ for 50 or so caches, sort them on GSAK and load 20 or 30 to the unit and by doing it this way you can be more sure the caches you intend to hunt are active and available.

Be safe.

N

I am not sure why the file size restriction, my guess would be that when the code was being written it was decided to limit the number of caches, in a GPX file to 500 since that is the max allowable in a PQ. I have requested that we remove that limit or change it to 4000.

No I do agree that with that many caches in a GPX file it will take some time to load and sort them, so I would suggest keeping the files small and manageable.

We are working on getting website updated with all of the current specs as well as improving the way out FAQ's work.

Any questions let me know.

I am not sure why the file size restriction, my guess would be that when the code was being written it was decided to limit the number of caches, in a GPX file to 500 since that is the max allowable in a PQ. I have requested that we remove that limit or change it to 4000.

No I do agree that with that many caches in a GPX file it will take some time to load and sort them, so I would suggest keeping the files small and manageable.

We are working on getting website updated with all of the current specs as well as improving the way out FAQ's work.

Any questions let me know.

Thanks for all of the answers. To respond to the various comments:

- I do use GSAK to filter, sort, etc. That's how I get a .gpx file of more than 500 caches.

- I also have a canned filter in GSAK of my own settings to remove inactive caches, caches with >3 DNF logs, etc.

- And I have used a couple of different macros to generate .gpx files with <500 caches. I just shouldn't have to use it. My unit holds 4000 caches. I want to be able to upload a file of 4000 if I wish. Yes, I know it will take longer to load them up; but then I get to cache longer, too. :-)

- I don't know how many caches are in your surrounding areas, but in mine, a limit of 500 caches only gets me a six mile radius around my house. (Those are the unfound caches only and with 1600+ finds I've found plenty in town already.) I commute 20 miles to work each day; I'd like to have a unit uploaded with caches in all of the areas in which I travel every day. You never know where you might end up on a whim some day and I want to know what caches are nearby.

EnduraExpert:

Thanks for the request to remove the 500 cache file limit. That's what I'm hoping for.

Now, if you can only get them to fix the problem where the unit stops navigating when you get close to a waypoint (instead of a geocache), I might actually be able to make the Endura my primary GPS for geocaching. As long as that is a problem, I have to use a different unit.

Thanks to all. Happy caching!

EnduraExpert:

Thanks for the request to remove the 500 cache file limit. That's what I'm hoping for.

Now, if you can only get them to fix the problem where the unit stops navigating when you get close to a waypoint (instead of a geocache), I might actually be able to make the Endura my primary GPS for geocaching. As long as that is a problem, I have to use a different unit.

3MudDogs, the issue of waypoint navigation is on the list of fixes to be implemented. We will be adding the ability to turn off the "Waypoint arrival alarm", so you will be able to continue to navigate to your waypoint just like you can do for a geocache.

Please let me know of any other suggestions you may have to improve the Endura line of GPSr's.

EnduraExpert:

3MudDogs, the issue of waypoint navigation is on the list of fixes to be implemented. We will be adding the ability to turn off the "Waypoint arrival alarm", so you will be able to continue to navigate to your waypoint just like you can do for a geocache.

Please let me know of any other suggestions you may have to improve the Endura line of GPSr's.

That's great news! Those two are my biggest issues. I'll be eagerly watching for those fixes to come out.

I do like the unit for the most part. The onboard filtering is great. It's what makes me think I can load 4000 caches and still find what I'm looking for in the field. And I love the Field Notes; very important for those caching marathons, especially since I like to log my caches in order of the finds.

I'll send you some other (and much less offensive) issues offline.

Thanks for the official info.

EnduraExpert:

That's great news! Those two are my biggest issues. I'll be eagerly watching for those fixes to come out.

I do like the unit for the most part. The onboard filtering is great. It's what makes me think I can load 4000 caches and still find what I'm looking for in the field. And I love the Field Notes; very important for those caching marathons, especially since I like to log my caches in order of the finds.

I'll send you some other (and much less offensive) issues offline.

Thanks for the official info.

No offense taken, all feedback is greatly appreciated.