Event Question

I went to my first Event last night and really enjoyed talking to other local cachers. :P

Ive noticed there are lots of trackables in this event. What is the form with these? Is it ok for me to "discover" these as i attended the event. I should say I did not actually see any of these as I was to busy chatting :D

Any advice gratefully received.......

you can only "discover" trackables if you have their tracking number. so unless you get the numbers from somebody else, you can't discover them without having seen them.

if you do get the numbers from somebody, it's a matter of opinion whether you should discover them or not. some people will say yeah sure, other will say no way. personally i wouldn't do it.

Edited by dfx

I went to my first Event last night and really enjoyed talking to other local cachers. :D

Ive noticed there are lots of trackables in this event. What is the form with these? Is it ok for me to "discover" these as i attended the event. I should say I did not actually see any of these as I was to busy chatting :P

Glad to know you had a good time at the event...

You should not log a 'discovered' for any trackable item unless you've actually seen the object, whether it's a geocoin or a travel bug. Some people do pass around lists of tracking numbers of items for others to log (Why? Because to some geocachers their numbers are everything and they like to have huge totals for trackables item statistics :P ) but this practice is called "virtual logging" and if Groundspeak discover such activities they will sometimes "lock" the trackable item so that no further logs can be made on it.

MrsB :D

There are a few amongst us who spend time writing TB and Coin numbers down upon their tatty notepads.

We call them "number spotters" and although we cordially smile and engage with them at such social gatherings, we ridicule them in private. :P

I've seen folks at events issuing lists of coin numbers, and some people happily gobble them up. Personally I wouldn't discover a coin unless I'd actually fondled it in person.

There are a few amongst us who spend time writing TB and Coin numbers down upon their tatty notepads.

We call them "number spotters" and although we cordially smile and engage with them at such social gatherings, we ridicule them in private. :D

I've seen folks at events issuing lists of coin numbers, and some people happily gobble them up. Personally I wouldn't discover a coin unless I'd actually fondled it in person.

Yes, I agree.

Some owners of geocoin collections offer a list of their coins' numbers to those who admire them and examine them at events as a helpful courtesy to save time in writing down all the numbers and I think that's perfectly acceptable - but logging such items when you've never even bothered to look at them... :P

MrsB

We call them "number spotters" and although we cordially smile and engage with them at such social gatherings, we ridicule them in private. :)

So if I fondle in public I will be ridiculed in private? :)

I went to my first Event last night and really enjoyed talking to other local cachers. :D

Ive noticed there are lots of trackables in this event. What is the form with these? Is it ok for me to "discover" these as i attended the event. I should say I did not actually see any of these as I was to busy chatting :D

It's largely up to you. When I first started caching I was keen to get lots of icons so would log anything I could get the code for. Now I can't be bothered logging just to get icons so tend to only log the things I've transferred from one cache to another.

If I were to actually handle something at an event that really caught my eye I might be tempted, but aside from that I'm not interested in spending ages typing in one number after another after another. just to add an icon to an already long list.

At events I will occasionaly discover interesting coins or where the owner brings it to my attention for some specific reason. I have seen people writing pages of numbers down but I can not be bothered with that. It depends on you if you wants loads of icons then discover them if you actually saw/touched the trackable. But as time goes on you will find plenty out in the wild, it is not a competion so do what feels right to you about discovering them but I think it is bad form to discover something that you did not see/touch.

Quite correctly, people are replying with details of their own personal approach so I'll do the same. A few years ago I started logging trackables from a list at an event; but quickly changed my mind and deleted all those logs. Since then I've only logged trackables that I found "in the wild", with the odd exception of an unusual one that I've inspected at an event.

This is simply because there's no way of differentiating between those that you actually picked up and admired and those that were just in amongst others in a folder or piled on a table. In the latter case I don't see much to be gained by noting my discovery, the admin is rather tedious, and the list of icons will be clogged up with hundreds that I have no memory of at all.

But if you really want a huge list of icons, it seems fair enough that if you were in the same room as the coin you may "discover" it (even if you only have the tracking number on a list).