The 60 Csx or Oregon 450 for geocaching

kyst

I am trying to decide which gps unit to buy . The 60csx or the Oregon 450 to use for geocaching . There is lots of tree cover in BC . On checking them out at the local store ,the 60csx picked up sat's quicker ( in the store ) and seemed easier to calibrate the compass than the Oregon 450 . The two units could not agreed on exactly where north was . The screen was easier to read on the 60 csx but it is not paperless . Which one has easier features to use for geocaching ?? What about the poor instructional manual for the Oregan 450 ?? :P

I am trying to decide which gps unit to buy . The 60csx or the Oregon 450 to use for geocaching . There is lots of tree cover in BC . On checking them out at the local store ,the 60csx picked up sat's quicker ( in the store ) and seemed easier to calibrate the compass than the Oregon 450 . The two units could not agreed on exactly where north was . The screen was easier to read on the 60 csx but it is not paperless . Which one has easier features to use for geocaching ?? What about the poor instructional manual for the Oregan 450 ?? :P

The 60 csx will likely have the more accurate position.

The Oregon 450 has the ability to load several thousand caches on it, but the screen is harder to read in direct sunlight.

You'll have to decide what's more important to you, as you're the one who's gonna use it. Myself, I'd use the 450 -- you should see how caching is with Garmin BirdsEye on the GPS.....

As for the manual, try this site instead: Garmin Oregon Wiki

The 60 csx will likely have the more accurate position.

The Oregon 450 has the ability to load several thousand caches on it, but the screen is harder to read in direct sunlight.

You'll have to decide what's more important to you, as you're the one who's gonna use it. Myself, I'd use the 450 -- you should see how caching is with Garmin BirdsEye on the GPS.....

As for the manual, try this site instead: Garmin Oregon Wiki

Have you actually used the 450? They were supposed to make the screen easier to read than the 200/300. Fedex is supposed to be dropping mine off any minute now so I don't actually know if its a huge improvement or not.

I loved my Oregon 300, you can't beat the paperless caching on it. Mine was pretty accurate as well.

Have you actually used the 450? They were supposed to make the screen easier to read than the 200/300. Fedex is supposed to be dropping mine off any minute now so I don't actually know if its a huge improvement or not.

I loved my Oregon 300, you can't beat the paperless caching on it. Mine was pretty accurate as well.

Nope, my Colorado still works (great!) , so I don't have an Oregon 450 to try.

Based on the reviews I've seen, the screen is better than the original Oregon 2/3/400 series, but still far behind the 60csx. The problem is visibility on the high resolution screens in general - the Oregon 450 is a significantly higher resolution screen than the 60csx uses.... then again, we do have rumours of the 62csx series in planning..... but rumours nevertheless.

Edited by northernpenguin

I have actually tried the 450 - and compared it to a 60CSx, and I chose the latter. The screen is much easier to read in bright sunlight than the 450, there is still a long way to go for the Oregon screens. I have also tried the 300, but not in bright sunlight, so I have no comparision there, sorry. But the 450 is supposed to be better. Just not as good as 60CSx. I use iPhone for the paperless part of geocaching.

I have actually tried the 450 - and compared it to a 60CSx, and I chose the latter. The screen is much easier to read in bright sunlight than the 450, there is still a long way to go for the Oregon screens. I have also tried the 300, but not in bright sunlight, so I have no comparision there, sorry. But the 450 is supposed to be better. Just not as good as 60CSx. I use iPhone for the paperless part of geocaching.

I just got my 450 and the screen is an incredible improvement over the 300. I have no problem viewing it at all now, I would compare it just as good to my iPhone screen. Now I've never used a 60csx so I can't compare it but I have no problem now compared to the 300.

I am also trying decide between the two. According to the recent gpstracklog review on Oregon 450 , the 450 is as good as 60CSX in terms of accuracy. And right now the two are in similar price range, the 450 just seems to be a better deal because of the better features. The custom map feature on 450, which is missing on the 60CSX, is really nice and useful. But the 60CSX does have better battery life and screen reading in sunlight.

Another option is the soon-to-be released Delorme PN-60. But it is a little bit more expensive.

I've had the 60Cx (no compass/altimeter version) and various eTrex models and just got an Oregon 450 yesterday. There is definitely no contest between the screen of the 450 and the screens of the 60C-series models and the eTrex C-series models.

BUT... that being said, on the 450: the compass is easier to calibrate, the screen resolution is great and very detailed, screen visibility is good, the backlight is strong at 100%, and the ability to load GPX files to go paperless is priceless.

Both the 60C(S)x and the Oregon 450 are great units. I think it just depends on what is more important to you... paperless caching or an easier to read screen in mixed lighting.

I had a chance to view the new DeLorme PN-60w a week ago at REI in Saratoga, CA. A very nice unit with a great screen. A lot of good looking features, too. Good bright display, though glare may be an issue as with all shiny displays (how many times have you been blinded by the sun reflecting off a display?)

How it stacks up, compared to the 450 is difficult to say as it is still in development, though it will support considerably more memory than the 450 does.

Emphasis was on SPOT 2 which will be released with the unit, which allows communication from the field, including those all too important calls for help when Timmy falls down the well, while looking solely at his GPSr.

Based on the reviews I've seen, the screen is better than the original Oregon 2/3/400 series, but still far behind the 60csx.

I agree on that. Caching yesterday and one person had a 550. Slightly better than my Oregon 300 but not much. The interface is so sweet on the touchscreens though but that is what causes the visual problem. Probably won't get any better.

Supporting NorthernPenguin on Birdseye. I can see which tree the cache is under so if the accuracy deteriates as I move I just head for the picture.