is it a benchmark?

Ukulele Andy

I live in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Nashville and just down the street on the corner is what looks like a very old benchmark. It's a round, metal disc mounted flush in the top of a small concrete pedestal (8 inches high and about 3 or 4 inches wide). At first glance it doesn't appear to have any writing on it but when the light hits it just right I can barely make out a few ghostly letters. How can I determine if this is or was a benchmark?

Thanks,

Ukulele Andy

One way to tell is to get the GPS coordinates for it and go to www.geochaching.com/mark and plug in the coordinates and see what come in that area. Then read the description and see if it's a match. (Careful, you might get hooked. icon_biggrin.gif )

But this is just NGS benchmarks. There are a number of other benchmarks out there. Without being able to read the writing, I'm not sure there's a way to tell what it is for sure.

Caseh's Crew asks:

quote:
Speaking of other benchmark databases, does anyone know if such databases are available on-line?

Your state or county may have on-line databases. Use Google, wander around their websites, or call.

I don't think know of any national database that is online other than the NGS. But if I'm wrong - as is often the case - I'm sure someone will correct me. ;-)

Casey's Crew asks:

quote:
Speaking of other benchmark databases, does anyone know if such databases are available on-line?

Your state or county may have on-line databases. Use Google, wander around their websites, or call.

I don't think know of any national database that is online other than the NGS. But if I'm wrong - as is often the case - I'm sure someone will correct me. ;-)