Holy slow Basecamp, Batman!

WHO-DEY

I have a gateway Laptop running Vista. Gual 64 processor. All good. Even my DSl is top speed. But the Basecamp program opens SLOW...and takes forever to transition from one task to another. Never mind the download speed...that is another animal. but the program is a mess. Anyone esle?

BC has always been known as a memory hog and a little clunky.

I am guessing the servers are overloaded and sharing the response. I have downloaded three sets, all of which were in the 300M range. They each took over 12 hours and froze a couple of times requiring me to leave BC and come back.

I know it isn't my ISP since my browsing speed is fine and I downloaded a 22M game in three minutes while doing the Birdseye download. My general download rate is about 300M an hour.

I don't think it is going to get any better in the near future. People will be building up there photo stock. The only solution would be for Garmin to do a significant upgrade in their servers.

Basecamp bogs down with more tilesets I find. I've been slowly grabbing tiles for my area, downloading them to the GPS and then deleting them from Basecamp. Right now I've got 5GB of data downloaded to my Colorado (memory card) and BaseCamp was crashing with that much info loaded up.

Make sure you get Basecamp 3.0.2 (use Help->Check for Updates) as it adds stability improvements.

Download times are on Garmin's end, nothing your computer can change. I'm using a 10Mbit/sec fibre connection at the office to download and still getting transfer times up to 24 hours for 1300 square kilometers of data.

NorthernPenguin. If you delete them from BaseCamp and then have problem with the Colorado won't you have to go through downloading again.

I copied my Garmin Device.xml file onto a microSD card, so now BaseCamp thinks it's my GPSr. That way you can download whatever you want on to the card, then use the card in the GPSr or copy the files onto your hard drive. Just plug the card into your cardreader and you're ready to go.

Also, once you've started the download into BaseCamp, you can disconnect the GPSr (or microSD card with xml file) and go caching while the program chugs away, just make sure to uncheck the 'Transfer to GPS when finished' box.

I suppose you could also copy the XML file onto your hard drive and just download directly to it.

This allows you delete things from the BaseCamp program while keeping the JNX files readily available.

Edited by Triple Crown

NorthernPenguin. If you delete them from BaseCamp and then have problem with the Colorado won't you have to go through downloading again.

Nope. I can copy the JNX files anywhere I want, and they are keyed to my Colorado's serial number. I have already been through a hard-reset on my Colorado with no effect on my BirdsEye imagery. I keep a backup copy of the JNX files on DVD for a reload if needed.

I would (most likely) have to download the BirdsEye imagery if I get a new device with a new serial number.

I would (most likely) have to download the BirdsEye imagery if I get a new device with a new serial number.

Thanks. Now I can take some off of the device and out of Basecamp safely as long as I have gone through the conversion process to send it to a device.

Actually if you get a new device you would have to pay the $30 again since the membership is for a single device. You might be able to get them to transfer your remaining time to a new one but not sure.

Thanks. Now I can take some off of the device and out of Basecamp safely as long as I have gone through the conversion process to send it to a device.

Actually if you get a new device you would have to pay the $30 again since the membership is for a single device. You might be able to get them to transfer your remaining time to a new one but not sure.

True, but Garmin will transfer everything over for a warranty replacement - I had my Colorado replaced a few eons ago and the MyGarmin site had a big "transfer stuff" button at the top when I logged in.

If I *buy* a new Oregon the $30 fee will kick in for sure. And I'll be stuck downloading everything again.

And I'll be stuck downloading everything again.

I wonder if you would. If you had two devices registered for Birdseye would you have to download each map twice or would it do the secret stuff when it transferred to a unit that made it unique to that unit.

Not unreasonable that two people in a household would want Birdseye.

I just fired this off to Garmin and will post results when they come back.

Hi,

I have an Oregon registered as a Birdseye unit. My wife wants the maps on her Colorado. I know I have to pay the $30 for her unit but would I have to download the maps twice or does BaseCamp do the secret stuff to make the file unit specific upon transfer?

Several people have said after doing the transfer they delete it from BaseCamp and transfer the files back and forth using explorer (just for the registered device of course). This seem to keep BaseCamp from slowing down when they have a bunch.

Lastly I have downloaded Birdseye imagery into BaseCamp. Can a friend who has Birdseye registered unit hook up and have the imagery transferred. That would save both of us time (and reduce the load on your server)

I hope I have made it clear I am not trying to get around paying the fees just reduce the time consumption. Thanks for your help

This subscription may only be used with 1 compatible, registered device. The device must be registered in myGarmin to activate the subscription on that device. Please purchase additional subscriptions for additional devices.
It reads like they're locking the imagery to your serial number when you download.

For their sake, I hope that's not true - their bandwidth bill & server load is going to be brutal if you can't re-register imagery to a different unit post-download. Not to mention upsetting a lot of owners.

And I'll be stuck downloading everything again.

I wonder if you would. If you had two devices registered for Birdseye would you have to download each map twice or would it do the secret stuff when it transferred to a unit that made it unique to that unit.

I should have been more clear .... *I* would have to download everything again, because I download to BirdsEye, transfer to GPS and then delete it off my computer (for space, and to keep Basecamp snappy).

Not sure I can transfer a JNX file back INTO Basecamp to load to another GPS.

I *know* I can load multiple GPS units from a single Basecamp download, if I don't delete the downloaded region out of Basecamp - it will check the GPS Serial number for authorization when I try to load the second GPS.

If Garmin would let us import a JNX file into Basecamp, and then push that file to another GPS then I would prolly just carve up the downloading among a group of my friends and we'd just swap JNX files at the end of the week versus taking a month to download Ontario.

I *know* I can load multiple GPS units from a single Basecamp download, if I don't delete the downloaded region out of Basecamp - it will check the GPS Serial number for authorization when I try to load the second GPS.

I email Garmin and got this response. it appears if I buy a second unit for the wife and pay the $30 for that unit I would have to download again.

Dear Walter Cullop,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be glad to help you with this. Unfortunately the way BirdsEye works is when it is downloading the image files it is also loading an encryption that will look the image to the device that was plugged in at the time of the download. So unfortunately you will have to have multiple downloads and then rename the BirdsEye files to not get them confused. I know how tedious that sounds and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

I email Garmin and got this response. it appears if I buy a second unit for the wife and pay the $30 for that unit I would have to download again.

Dear Walter Cullop,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be glad to help you with this. Unfortunately the way BirdsEye works is when it is downloading the image files it is also loading an encryption that will look the image to the device that was plugged in at the time of the download. So unfortunately you will have to have multiple downloads and then rename the BirdsEye files to not get them confused. I know how tedious that sounds and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Can't say I believe the Garmin guy. I've had downloads that finished, and then were "unlocked for device Colorado xxxxxxxx" when I went to copy it to my SD card .... it reconnected to the server and authorized my Colorado at the time of the copy ( well after the download completed ). If they're applying encryption during the download there would be no reason to "verify my subscription" when I go to copy the data that second time - it should already be encrypted with my unit's serial number being the decryption key or something similar. Tomorrow night I'll try sending a BirdsEye download to my friend's Colorado (who also subscribes to BE) to test this theory.