Garmin 60Cx

I know someone else has posted this before, but the search function on the forms seem FUBAR right now.

We just got a 60Cx as a backup/secondary GPS and I cannot, for the life of me, get geocaches to appear in it. I'm using a Mac with Tiger OS, and I've tried uploading via MacCaching and nothing is showing up. It does says the files transferred whenever I try.

When I registered it with Garmin this evening, it said it was all up to date on firmware.

Any guesses? I was able to add a geocache manually by clicking "send to GPS", but ugh.... that would be time consuming to do for trips, etc.

Well, with my Oregon 400T, it's a simple drag-n-drop of the GPX file gotten from the PQ. I don't know why, but when I plug the 60Cx into my Mac, it doesn't come up as another drive- but it does on my PC.

Super strange. I've seen references to Basecamp, but never knew what it was- and never needed it.

But you're right- you don't know till you know. :P And now I can tell others!

I don't know why, but when I plug the 60Cx into my Mac, it doesn't come up as another drive- but it does on my PC.

The GPSMAP 60CSx doesn't have any internal map memory so to get the datacard to mount as a drive you can put the GPS into USB mode and it'll mount on the Mac desktop in Tiger or Windows. You just don't want to send waypoints/geocaches/tracks/routes to the unit in that mode as ones sent to the datacard are not read by the GPS, just maps and POI files. BaseCamp is nice and allows you the delete single or multiple geocaches from off your Oregon 400T.

Well, with my Oregon 400T, it's a simple drag-n-drop of the GPX file gotten from the PQ. I don't know why, but when I plug the 60Cx into my Mac, it doesn't come up as another drive- but it does on my PC.

Super strange. I've seen references to Basecamp, but never knew what it was- and never needed it.

With the 60CSx I need to put it manually into USB Mass Storage mode to see it come up as a drive on my Mac, but don't know about the 60Cx. (Menu>Setup>Interface>USB Mass Storage)

On the other hand; Basecamp do the work pretty well. I've used it since I've got the 60CSx.

Edit: Didn't update the page before writing my answer... coggins had answered already, and you have replied :D

Edited by trondkj

With the 60CSx I need to put it manually into USB Mass Storage mode to see it come up as a drive on my Mac, but don't know about the 60Cx. (Menu>Setup>Interface>USB Mass Storage)

On the other hand; Basecamp do the work pretty well. I've used it since I've got the 60CSx.

I don't think the two models are very dissimilar. I definitely will try Basecamp. In the interim, I DID get GSAK to work on my work computer, but I would prefer not to be reliant on it.

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to feel any dumber. :)

I downloaded Basecamp, and imported a GPX of the Northwest Classics bookmark. I tried to import it into the 60Cx, and it said it transferred.

So I checked- under both waypoints and geocaches, and nothing. All that showed up was my original list of neighborhood caches I'd managed to upload on my Windows laptop. And I discovered the data from my geocaches was being duplicated under WP's. :)

Tried deleting all WP's and GC's. Tried to upload again. It keeps resurfacing the data from my 1st GPX. No matter what I do, the data from Basecamp will not upload. And the data from the 1st GPX has been completely expunged from my Macbook, too.

Contacted Garmin support, because I'm stumped. I just wanted to update you kind folks and thank you again for your help. Hopefully I'll get something figured out. At least I have my PC, but it seems dumb to have to use two systems when one or the other SHOULD work.

So I checked- under both waypoints and geocaches, and nothing. All that showed up was my original list of neighborhood caches I'd managed to upload on my Windows laptop. And I discovered the data from my geocaches was being duplicated under WP's. :)

Just to confirm, when you looked for them under waypoints and geocaches, did you search by nearest, or by name? If the caches are more than 50 miles away, you'd have to search by name to find them in the list. Also, once you transfer them, have you tried to close Basecamp, open a new empty interation, and then download the caches from the GPS to the computer? Are they there?

Hi JBnW,

Just to confirm, when you looked for them under waypoints and geocaches, did you search by nearest, or by name? If the caches are more than 50 miles away, you'd have to search by name to find them in the list. Also, once you transfer them, have you tried to close Basecamp, open a new empty interation, and then download the caches from the GPS to the computer? Are they there?

I don't recall if I did search by name, but I have a feeling I didn't.

After doing some more searching and forum-scouring, I closed out all of the programs, my browser, etc and closed Basecamp along with the GPSr and left it off overnight.

I was just able to import the NW Classics list now. Who knows what the deal was. Very, very odd. But it seems to be working now. I'm going to try to upload a different PQ and see what happens.

The only other question that remains at the moment is that it still seems to send the data to both WP's and Geocaches. Am I off-base, or is that not the intended behavior?

Thanks!