Thoughts for a Memorial Geocoin

Hakali

As some of you may remember from February, I'm putting together a travelling Geocoin memorial for Phil Harris ("Deadliest Catch").

Here's what I have planned:

I have a Deadliest Cache geocoin that was donated for this purpose; I'm looking into engraving Phil's name, dates, and a farewell quote around the edge. The coin will then go into one of those coin protector/holders, and will live in a presentation box. Also inside the box will be a small printed memorial to Phil with photo explaining who he was and then listing out the coin's mission goals. On the outside of the box I'll put Phil's custom logo.

I'm wondering about the engraving portion. Do you think engraving the edge of the coin in that fashion will prevent coin thieves from grabbing the coin and attempting to re-sell it?

I'm also wondering if the box itself would make the coin more or less liable to get swiped. I'd like to make it a nice-looking memorial traveller, and I'd obviously prefer it to stay in circulation as long as possible. Has anyone else done this kind of memorial with a single coin?

As some of you may remember from February, I'm putting together a travelling Geocoin memorial for Phil Harris ("Deadliest Catch").

Here's what I have planned:

I have a Deadliest Cache geocoin that was donated for this purpose; I'm looking into engraving Phil's name, dates, and a farewell quote around the edge. The coin will then go into one of those coin protector/holders, and will live in a presentation box. Also inside the box will be a small printed memorial to Phil with photo explaining who he was and then listing out the coin's mission goals. On the outside of the box I'll put Phil's custom logo.

I'm wondering about the engraving portion. Do you think engraving the edge of the coin in that fashion will prevent coin thieves from grabbing the coin and attempting to re-sell it?

I'm also wondering if the box itself would make the coin more or less liable to get swiped. I'd like to make it a nice-looking memorial traveller, and I'd obviously prefer it to stay in circulation as long as possible. Has anyone else done this kind of memorial with a single coin?

Just my two cents, but it sounds like a lot to put into a coin that may not last long. I would suggest if you want a memorial to travel maybe just use a regular Travel Bug and attach the information to that.

I like Eric's idea of a TB with different things attached commemorating Capt Phil and maybe a proxy of the coin included. Should the family hear of this and want to see it or be part of it you can gift the coin to them. Sadly coins do get lost even if not stolen and longevity requires clever tricks. Another 2¢ worth.

I think you would be better off sending out a TB. Coins don't seem to last long. It doesn't seem to matter if they have holes in them, they seem to go missing. If you don't want to lose it then I wouldn't send it out. You could keep the coin as a personal and take it to events or just to show other cachers. Sending it out is too risky.

I like Eric's idea of a TB with different things attached commemorating Capt Phil and maybe a proxy of the coin included. Should the family hear of this and want to see it or be part of it you can gift the coin to them. Sadly coins do get lost even if not stolen and longevity requires clever tricks. Another 2¢ worth.

As it happens, I'm already talking to Phil's son Josh about this. I was thinking about merely engraving the edge and drilling a hole in the coin so it's not saleable....but sending Josh the engraved coin and sending a proxy out instead is probably safer for the coin.