Can u put a cach under water ?

Can u put a cach under water ??? and whats the best kind of contaner?
Sure. There are underwater caches out there. Be sure to rate the terrain appropriately if special equipment is involved.

As for what container, I'll leave that for those that have experience with hiding underwater containers to answer.

And i need a way to make sure it will stay in place, It will be at the base of a small dam, in a river

the water really gets moving in high water

Getting it to stay in place is going to be a tough nut to crack. Nothing can withstand fast moving water for any period of time.

Unless you place the cache so that only those willing to swim/dive can get to it, everyday 'Joe' cachers are ultimately going to replace it wrong and/or not close and reseal it properly.

Just food for thought. <_<

And i need a way to make sure it will stay in place, It will be at the base of a small dam, in a river

I think you want to read the guidelines first, considering you want to drill holes near a dam:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

- Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

- Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Source: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#offlimit

Grab a $12 pelican case from REI and some no-rot rope and tie it to a brick attached with a D clips and floater on the brick side of the rope. Toss it in the area you want. The waterproof case will float as high as the rope will allow and the d-clip will allow it to be removed with out pulling up the weight. The floater will keep the rope from the weight floating so you can easily find it for re-attachment.

See the movie Splinterheads. The girl finds one just like that.

Edited by JohnE5

what is ALR issue ???

Additional logging requirement. It means that in order to log a find online, the only requirements can be to find the cache, write your name in the log book, and replace it. The cache owner cannot require you to submit photos, describe surrounding area, wear chicken suits, etc...

Underwater drill? Dam? This cache idea has "DISASTER" written all over it.

Dear Sir,

I would like to sink a geocache in the lake above your dam. To do so I will only need to drill a small hole in your dam to anchor the cache. You won't even be able to see it. Really.

Thank you,

Geo Cacher

What, you don't think that permission would be granted? :):)

By the way...

What did the fish say when he bumped his nose against concrete?

"Dam"

I'm having a bit of problems wrapping my head around the ALR thing. An underwater cache requires that you dive below the water to get the cache. Isn't that an additional logging requirement? The same question goes with nudie caches, and that one out in the ocean that you need an ROV to retrieve? I have plans to set up an underwater cache in the near future. I like bending the rules. I have the container all set and ready to go. Swiz

I'm having a bit of problems wrapping my head around the ALR thing. An underwater cache requires that you dive below the water to get the cache. Isn't that an additional logging requirement? The same question goes with nudie caches, and that one out in the ocean that you need an ROV to retrieve? I have plans to set up an underwater cache in the near future. I like bending the rules. I have the container all set and ready to go. Swiz

No, ALR has nothing to do with getting to the cache.

An Additional Logging Requirement would be the CO saying that once you sign the cache you must email him a code word found in the cache, else if you don't he will delete your log.

In other words there is an additional task you must perform besides just finding the cache in order to log it.

Groundspeak decided that finding the cache and signing the log was the only requirement to claim a find, and thus banned ALRs.

Having to rent a submarine to get to the cache is not a logging requirement, that's a FINDING requirement and not at all related.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

No, ALR has nothing to do with getting to the cache.

An Additional Logging Requirement would be the CO saying that once you sign the cache you must email him a code word found in the cache, else if you don't he will delete your log.

In other words there is an additional task you must perform besides just finding the cache in order to log it.

Groundspeak decided that finding the cache and signing the log was the only requirement to claim a find, and thus banned ALRs.

Having to rent a submarine to get to the cache is not a logging requirement, that's a FINDING requirement and not at all related.

I suppose the ALR could be that after you find an underwater cache and sign the log, you will need to resurface. Of course if you don't resurface YOU would be deleted.

I might have found something like what is being described. :D

Picture a cache hanging over a small dam (one could jump from one side to the other) suspended by a piece of braided wire that is anchored above the dam. With water coming over the dam, the wire is almost invisible.

The container itself is actually two bison tubes. The larger outer tube opens from the bottom, something I'd recommend if you're going to do this because it'll work sort of like a diver's bell & the air trapped inside won't let water come in further. What I'm talking about looks much like this:

bison-scuba-tank-scuba%20tanks%20ws-medium-350x262.jpg

The second one is smaller, the size of this one:

Itty%20Bitty%20LG%20cache.JPG

Of course, if this is something that I had actually found, I could say with some certainty that I would have almost DNFed it, but it would have been one of my favorite caches of the day.

If I had actually found such a cache. :)

Can u put a cach under water ??? and whats the best kind of contaner?

One of our favourite caches ever was under the end of a floating walkway through some lovely wetlands. It was attached to the underside of the walkway and weighted so you couldn't see it..had to feel underneath for the fishing line. The container was inside a bag that is normally used for carrying cameras etc in a canoe or kayak in case they fall overboard. Check the canoe/kayak stores.

I'm having a bit of problems wrapping my head around the ALR thing. An underwater cache requires that you dive below the water to get the cache. Isn't that an additional logging requirement? The same question goes with nudie caches, and that one out in the ocean that you need an ROV to retrieve?

ALR means a requirement to do something in addition to logging the cache to get your smiley. The difficulty in retrieving and logging the cache is not an additional requirement. The only difference between walking to a cache, and using a ROV, is in the equipment.

I have a cache that is placed underwater in a local pond, it is a stainless steel thermos flask. It is weighted with some heavy U bolts and is painted the same colour as the bottom of the pond.

It is not 100% waterproof, so the log is in a separate container, and all the original swaps are plastic toys.

It is tied to a tree root (with fishing line) that is under the water, so nothing is in sight.

Another, now inactive local cacher, had a submarine cache made out of PVC pipe, you had to find wpt1 which was a remote contol for the submarine, when you operated the RC the sub would surface for the caching duties. It can be seen on the Cool Cache Containers thread on this site. Or look up GCBD87, it is now an archived cache.

Edited by Rainbow Spirit

I like bending the rules.

Do you like ruining things for other people? The guidelines are there to protect the game so we can all continue to enjoy it. "Bending the rules" could have serious consequences for people other than yourself.

There's a big difference between bending and breaking the rules. I have no intentions of putting any cachers in danger or into any kind of trouble. Happy Cachin' Swiz

I like bending the rules.

Do you like ruining things for other people? The guidelines are there to protect the game so we can all continue to enjoy it. "Bending the rules" could have serious consequences for people other than yourself.

There's a big difference between bending and breaking the rules. I have no intentions of putting any cachers in danger or into any kind of trouble. Happy Cachin' Swiz

If you can do it go for it.

If people don't want to get wet or are scared they dont have to go for it.

A local cacher placed a cache underwater - he also placed a retrieval tool close by. We zipped out to find it after it was enabled and before the retrieval tool was mentioned in the description. Quick dash home got us what we needed, and we signed the log. This wasn't near a dam, small or large. It has become a summer only cache now, but it was a blast trying to find it...and great when we did. Wasn't large and if you want more info, pm me.

i dont like eazy cachs there for the kids or for the ones that cant get away from there kids !!!

i want one where i need to bring my indinana jones hat or take it off befor i get it wet

this cach will be under water like 4 to 6 ft of water and i was thinking about putting a ammo can in an ammo can tied to a big brick to the bottom. and hell its a good swimming hole too when no one is fishing there i jump off the dam all the time but u got to jump right or ur going to get hurt jumping off a 15 ft dam into about 4 to 6 ft of water

I have a cache that has been in the water for nearly 2 years with only minor leakage. I have a lock and lock container that I used Vaseline around the rubber ring on top to make it water tight. The one time that it had minor leakage I just went and relubed it with Vaseline. As for the flotation problem I put some nuts and bolts in the cache to weight it down. Like I said it has served me well so far. For what it is worth the cache is in a small river in the northest (Pennsylvania) so itgoes through some changes in water temperature throughout the year.

i dont like eazy cachs there for the kids or for the ones that cant get away from there kids !!!

i want one where i need to bring my indinana jones hat or take it off befor i get it wet

this cach will be under water like 4 to 6 ft of water and i was thinking about putting a ammo can in an ammo can tied to a big brick to the bottom. and hell its a good swimming hole too when no one is fishing there i jump off the dam all the time but u got to jump right or ur going to get hurt jumping off a 15 ft dam into about 4 to 6 ft of water

Me too. What, you writing this post on your Blackberry or something?

the water really gets moving in high water

Some rivers are highly dangerous at the base of dams at the right water levels. If you place the cache at the base of a dam, be aware of the danger, and know you may put someone's life in jeopardy who isn't aware of the danger.

Be sure to post on your cache page that it is a very dangerous cache at certain water levels, so some gung-ho cacher doesn't go out and kill themselves trying to find your cache.

Why not pick somewhere a little safer?

I'd rather not get sucked away by undercurrents during the rainy times of year.

And if placing a cache I would rather not place one on a dam or near a dam in the water which can be as problematic as placing something on an underpass for suspicion issues. Never mind the safety issues.

We have a dam near here which is only about 30-40 feet wide depending on season and pretty shallow but there have been numerous issues where the undercurrents speed up and take people under or out on either side of the dam. And just because everyone does it does not make it safe.

Personally I quite enjoyed my dam cache last weekend which included a nice walk in the woods to a well hidden cache which was really well maintained. I got to see the dam and experience. And then the same person hid another one well up river away from the dam as well for those that wanted to be somewhere where they could safely swim etc.

I believe there are numerous more options than the threat of a nano or underwater cache....

its safe i swimm there all the time the river is only like 30 ft wide and like 5 ft deep

and thats the only good spot on the lil river to put it would u rater find a cool cach under water by a dam or a realy eazy nano cach ???

doesnt matter which id rater find if theres another cach already there ur out of luck