Etrex Series Rubber delaminating

tomtwogates

Has anybody had any experience re-glueing the rubber surround on an Etrex GPS? I have a Vista Cx and the rubber around the unit has come adrift.

My old yellow had the same problem and the button had dropped out and thus the unit went to Avnics for repair, but this one the buttons are still intact and I was hoping to do it myself. <_<

Yes, I have. The rubber surround on my eTrex Yellow started coming a drift, especially in hot weather when the glue got soft, it would easily lift up or slide around under my fingers while pressing the buttons, with the result that small amounts of the glue would bunch up around the edges.

The fix was fairly easy. I bought some thin double sided tape (no thinker than sellotape) in a width just slightly less than the width of the rubber band at it's narrowest point.

Next I removed the band and cleaned all the glue... or should that be goo... off both the body and the rubber. Don't try to remove the original tape from the body, as this is an integral part of the waterproofing, just clean off the glue.

Once that is done, apply the double sided tape to the body as close to the lip as possible. Where the body has curves and gets wider than the tape, cut small pieces of tape to fit, creating a bit of a patch work, but covering every part where the rubber sits. However, Do Not Cover The Buttons. Doing this the first time by trial and error, I discovered the hard way that having tape under the buttons, makes them less responsive and harder to press. While you are laying down the tape, make sure you leave a small area (just a few mm) around the buttons.

Once you're done, peel off all the backing and apply the rubber. I personally found it easier to turn the rubber inside out and align it to the body from the base up. Once it's aligned with the base it is easy enough to flip it right side in as you go. Try to get it in the right place the first time. Having to peel it off will weaken the glue on the double sided tape and you'll probably have to do it again, sooner than you would like.

After that, you are done. Leave it for a couple of hours for the rubber to settle and the glue to bond.

I did mine about a year ago and not had a problem with it since. It's just like new.

The fix was fairly easy. I bought some thin double sided tape (no thinker than sellotape) in a width just slightly less than the width of the rubber band at it's narrowest point.

Any special manufacturer? Where did you get the double sided tape - seems the solution

thanks

Awesome. I'm having the same problem, so I'll give it a try.

The one I have says "wonder tape" on the inside, but the make is not really important.

I got mine from The Write Shop, but any large stationary shop should have it. It comes in various widths, I bought the 12mm wide roll.

Thanks MnCo - got it and it seems to have done the trick!