Facebook Finds

khyro

Hello,

I currently own a travel bug which is out in geocaching terrain and has slowly made it's way around a couple of geocaches but disappointingly, it isn't as travelled as I'd like it to be. I have recently come to the realization that someone has posted it's picture on their facebook account because I have received logs saying something to the effect "Saw this travel bug's picture on facebook.".

Could this be a deterrent to someone physically going to the geocache and moving the bug? If we post pictures of our travel bug finds, should we ensure the numbers are not showing? Does it matter? If it does, how do I go about having the picture removed? What do you do when posting pics of your finds?

What are people's thoughts on this?

Thanks

Edited by khyro

You are free to delete those logs. I had a geocoin that was in California and was surprised to suddenly get numerous logs from cachers in Fl. Apparently my geocoin's tracking number was on a printed sheet of paper that was being passed around at an event. People were logging a sheet of paper. I deleted all those logs.

Delete all Facebook logs, that is not the natural movement of a travel bug, it is virtual logging, and is considered abuse of the geocaching.com system. If there is anyway to find out who is posting it on Facebook, ask them to please remove it a.s.a.p., and any other tracking numbers they've posted that don't belong to them, as they are risking having YOUR TB locked by Groundspeak, and it's not even THEIRS! <_<

I would even go so far as to add the wording "All Facebook logs will be deleted because it is virtual logging and virtual logging is not allowed, per Groundspeak" or something like that to your travel bug page. If you then get a bunch of logs that haven't moved it that don't mention Facebook, and you can see that they have never been anywhere near any caches your TB was in, or near anyone holding your TB, then delete those too.

Whoever put it on Facebook could be someone that previously found it, or saw it at an event.

Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions. I think I will put a warning on the bug's page that Facebook photos do not count and those logs will be deleted.

I also can't tell who has posted the picture on Facebook.

Have a great day.

Hello,

I currently own a travel bug which is out in geocaching terrain and has slowly made it's way around a couple of geocaches but disappointingly, it isn't as travelled as I'd like it to be. I have recently come to the realization that someone has posted it's picture on their facebook account because I have received logs saying something to the effect "Saw this travel bug's picture on facebook.".

Could this be a deterrent to someone physically going to the geocache and moving the bug? If we post pictures of our travel bug finds, should we ensure the numbers are not showing? Does it matter? If it does, how do I go about having the picture removed? What do you do when posting pics of your finds?

What are people's thoughts on this?

Thanks

The type of "log" would make a big difference. If the reference number (TB####) is included somewhere, then any cacher can post a note (cool looking Travel Bug, great idea, etc.), but cannot retrieve or discover it. This would be perfectly okay. HOWEVER, if the tracking number (the "secrect" code) is included (either in text or picture) this is "right out" and it will allow discoveries and retrievals by cachers that never had physical contact with the traveler.

It was Discover logs.

Are those OK then?

Thanks,

k

Discover logs are for when someone actually saw the bug whether it be in a cache, or at an event, etc. but didn't take it with them to move it to another cache.

Harvesting tracking numbers from photos or someone 'sharing' the numbers is a definite no-no. If a bunch of people share this number gc.com might lock your bug down permanently preventing anyone from logging it.

Delete all bogus logs.

If you aren't sure about a log let us know, or contact the Tb forum mod Eartha.

Edited by BlueDeuce
  • Upvote 1

I have to confess that I am guilty of doing this for the Giant TB that's attached to a car (is it called Gigantaur?) I saw a photo on facebook showing the number and 'discovered' the TB. However, I would have no problem if the TB's owner deleted my log, because I know I am not within the rules!

Well I take pictures rather then write down TB#'s in fact that same TB Gigantaur we took our picture standing next to it at GW8 so we could log it. Then the next day it was at the Troll and we took pictures of the Troll and the Bug being so big was right there in the middle (I at one point thought it was a different one but matched the numbers up).

As we do on our vacations we post our pictures of our journey. Most of the time we weed out TB photos and just post the subject photos. Yes we post on our facebook account and a few in cache logs - usually not TB/coins. If you were to look at the photos from the events of that weekend you would see Gigantaur few times on those cache pages.

My point it that it's not always intentional. I have well over 2,000 pictures from our journey to GW8 and so forth there is no way I could edit through all those especially from a hotel on a lap top or my phone.

My friends on face book most likely wont be posting any discoveries. They don't hardly post discoveries of coins and bugs they actually do see and handle... Most only log in and out of caches as they pick up and drop off.. LOL

Our coin collection is just over the 300 mark... It is impossible for anyone to write all those down. On another note, each coin/trackable page is detailed with all the info and or story line I can find and pictures of the actual coins (usually from where I purchased them from when I buy them - thus the tracking number isn't there). BTW I have checked with each vendor about using those pictures and they have never had a problem. In fact Geoswag made some changes once where you couldn't download them and I contacted them and they fixed it. Same with a couple others and some even make an archive of sold out coin so you can still retrive the pictures (just wanted to clarify my usage of them)...

Now I build using coinlogger a HTML file - when my collection goes to an event and folks look at them it is a lot to take in. I tell them they can discover them from our profile page - they are going to find out a lot more about the coins, who designed it, produced it, size, process and if there is still any available (in most cases there isn't). I feel they are getting more out of this than just merely glancing at them in some book.

I do this because I really like collecting these coins and wish to share them with others who like to see them. Over the last few years only a small handful have taken on discovering all of them and the feed back I get is that they really enjoyed finding out about each coin and its story.

For the coins out traveling I do the same thing but they are not included in my html/list for discoveries. Those coins are developing their own stories as they move from cache to cache.

Eventually I'll release coins from the collection to the wild. I do not see any harm in people enjoying them no matter how they were able to obtain the tracking number.

Out of 300 in 4 years only one was grabbed in error by another coin enthusiast and was real easy to set straight.

These are produced for enjoyment... I don't see how discoveries either physical or virtual can cause a problem but abuse of any aspect can. As the owner of them It should be up to me if I want to allow discoveries virtually. If the coin doesn't belong to me then I agree it should be my responsibility to keep the actual tracking number as safe as possible only allowing someone to physically discover it while in my possession.

Hopefully I'm not to far off base here...

I will in the future be even more careful with pictures that might have a tracking number no matter where we post it.

Well I take pictures rather then write down TB#'s in fact that same TB Gigantaur we took our picture standing next to it at GW8 so we could log it. Then the next day it was at the Troll and we took pictures of the Troll and the Bug being so big was right there in the middle (I at one point thought it was a different one but matched the numbers up).

As we do on our vacations we post our pictures of our journey. Most of the time we weed out TB photos and just post the subject photos. Yes we post on our facebook account and a few in cache logs - usually not TB/coins. If you were to look at the photos from the events of that weekend you would see Gigantaur few times on those cache pages.

My point it that it's not always intentional. I have well over 2,000 pictures from our journey to GW8 and so forth there is no way I could edit through all those especially from a hotel on a lap top or my phone.

...snip

Taking a photo to record a tracking number instead of writing it down is perfectly fine. Publishing those photos is another thing but how often are you posting really close-up photos? If you are then, that's the time to edit and remove the tracking number. Any other time it's pretty easy to be careful. I picked up a bug that wants local town shots. I'll just make sure to keep the tag turned away or far enough away that no one can read it.

It doesn't seem like a big deal, does it? You find someone's bug and post the number online. Hey, they can just delete all those logs after someone logged it through 20 caches around the world. Then they can have Groundspeak ban them after they've shared it with a bunch of their friends, who just keep logging it even after the owner tells them to stop.

eh, that never happens. Too much work.

As the owner of them It should be up to me if I want to allow discoveries virtually.

Want to know why we can't determine the bug with the most mileage? Virtual logging.

Want to know the best way to stop virtually logging of a tracking number that 's been shared with the general public?

Got ya.. It can get messy real quick. I'll certainly walk away learning to be more careful and considerate.

For the record a logging of a discovery doesn't add or change mileage - Dipping however is a totally different story. A discovery isn't intended to move the bug/trackable but it is nice to hear comments/stories or that it is merely still alive.

I allow discoveries because I am sharing my collection not attempting to gather long miles. This creates and furthers interest in this particular aspect of geocaching and to some extent forms commemoratory with fellow Geocachers. At least it has for me.

I must admit with what I have invested and my coins and they started being locked out becoming worthless paper weights, I would be quite angry as would anyone else I'm sure.

Man the word virtual really causes hair to stand on end...

Pretty sure it is the grabbing and logging into different caches to purposely generate mileage when you don't posses the actual trackable that is the concern. That does seem like a lot of work just to cause irritation. Then again it's probably those same people that log caches they have never been to whilst dipping coins they don't have...

I would say to the Traveler Owner OP that, if these discoveries are annoying then the advise shared is solid.

However, to lock out a TB because of discoveries should be at the owners discretion. If someone was logging for mileage there would have to be proof and accountability and the owner should have the right to shut it down. But to sell something such as the TB/coin(s) ability to have its own cache page space and trackability then just lock it out because it appears to not comply with policy or rules. That is a lot of responsibility to the point of hostile even. But I can see the point and perhaps reasons it could come down to that. I sure wouldn't want that job as it is a loose loose situation. Everyone looses and at the owners expense. What a waste.

Yes I will be much more careful and will be certain to point out carelessness if I see it as I wouldn't want it to happen to me either.

BTW How would one go about Logging one of them Car TB Decals, Teeshirts, body Tattoos, etc., while adhering to the policy of physical placement from cache to cache. How could anyone police that...

This is all way to complicated. I'll just be careful not to add to the problem.

Thanks to the OP this is a great thread that people can learn something with.

Virtual logging is considered abuse of the geocaching.com system and can result in the TB or geocoin being locked if it is allowed to happen deliberately. So, it's best if you do not allow it, and delete any virtual logs, and photos showing the tracking numbers. Always try to edit, or smudge out the tracking number. Sometimes it's a great photo and you want to use it. Try using the paint program on your computer to put a black stripe over the tracking number.

Virtual logging is considered abuse of the geocaching.com system and can result in the TB or geocoin being locked if it is allowed to happen deliberately. So, it's best if you do not allow it, and delete any virtual logs, and photos showing the tracking numbers. Always try to edit, or smudge out the tracking number. Sometimes it's a great photo and you want to use it. Try using the paint program on your computer to put a black stripe over the tracking number.

I was unaware of Virtual logging until recently. Seems that this came along about the same time as the Facebook link. :(

I was unaware of Virtual logging until recently. Seems that this came along about the same time as the Facebook link. :(

Not really, it's been happening for years. There have been "armchair cachers" around for a long time that feel that they can play the game without ever leaving home. What fun is that? This is why it became considered abuse of the system. If it were one, or two, it would have gone unnoticed. But it's not one or two. Don't let this happen to your TB!

Long before FB, but there has been a recent explosion of logging BECAUSE of FB. What with all the photo posting wrongly (intentional or not -- really doesn't matter), even "discoveries" mostly because they didn't "discover" it, they discovered a photo somebody 'sent' to all who wish to see. Big Difference, IMO.