132 year old BM!

Very nice, the vista is excellent because this spot was chosen for its visibilty from great distances in several directions, making it an ideal point in the triangulation network. Arizona has a good many remote, well preserved, old points, compared to most other states. Points such as this were instrumental in the monumental task of mapping the Grand Canyon.

Wow, that is quite impressive. It's hard for me to imagine how such a cairn survived so long unless it is cemented together. Did you notice if it was?

I understand Idaho used to have many such cairns on mountaintops, but I've yet to see one intact like that one. I'm guessing the rough winters have taken their toll..

The rock cairn is not cemented and we obviously did not dismantle the cairn to verify that rock beneath it had the cross chiseled in it. We have found other rock cairns that are in the 70 - 80 yrs old range that appear as though they were just built. They are ranch corner markers and built with sandstone. The monument was built with a variety of limestone which is considerably tougher than the sandstone.

If you wish to see the quality of workmanship that went into this cairn, we posted a couple of pictures on the benchmark page. The pid number is GQ0323. The benchmarks for "Kanab" (pid GQ0324) are of the correct distance and angles from the cairn.

It may have been rebuilt in 1933 (as suggested by the Geocaching datasheet), but there is no indication that a previous stone cairn had been dismantled. If it had been dismantled then there would have been some "stray" rocks scattered about and the area is void of any loose rocks.

If you're in the Fredonia area it is worth the time and effort to find this marker...

The cairn is probably centered over the original point. The signal pole is intended to be directly over the spot, serving the same purpose to the surveyor as a tower or spire, which is a good long distance target. Its probably not extremely precise by modern standards, but in the old days, being within a fraction of a foot was considered relatively precise. Cairns last a long time in the southwest if well built. Many of them gradually become well known among the locals and being often visited, a trail is gradually formed, which encourages more people to hike that route, and a hking trail eventually develops. The cairn then becomes a landmark on the trail and some regular hikers of the trail take up the responsibility of maintaining it. Some also bring a stone of their own to add to it. Thus the more fortunate cairns are kept in good shape and some even grow

Congrats. and thank you for sharing that find with this forum! icon_smile.gif Apparently the oldest benchmarks around the St. Louis, MO area are also 1871 era -- but I have not found one yet. icon_frown.gif My oldest so far is JC0043, a brass plate on Eads Bridge -- 1882. But this past weekend I did visit HE0206 -- 1894, which had been found by Geo*Trailblazer. Keep finding those great old ones and please keep us *posted*.

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you for all of your comments...There is another 1871 rock cairn in the general area but we really have to study the maps to find the more direct routes into this one. The directions are so long & old that most of the jeep trails are no longer accessable. This is soooo much FUN!!!! I hope you who are interested can find such an adrenaline rush....Thanks again...so many BM's, caches & minerals specimans--so little time.

2oldfarts icon_cool.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by survey tech:

The cairn is probably centered over the original point. The signal pole is intended to be directly over the spot, serving the same purpose to the surveyor as a tower or spire, which is a good long distance target.

I've seen the same at another old Utah BM recently, a rotten pole centered over a cross-marked copper bolt. But it appeared that while the bolt dates from 1880s, the pole is much more recent. Isn't this the case for Kanab BM too? Since the recovery of the 1933 found (quote) 'NO EVIDENCE OF ROCK MONUMENT OR WOOD TARGET'.

What would be the right object for a geobenchmarker to document, then? Can one claim that this thing is 132 years old w/o identifying the original mark on the rock? OTOH can one do any 'archeological dig' at such a location? What might be the appropriate circumstances?

The cairn probably was taken apart and put back up, perhaps a number of times over the years, when surveyors needed access to the point, but it would likely be a lot of work, so I would not recommend it. They had crews of several men who could do it fairly quickly and easily in those days, and the point may also have been left deliberately uncovered for a while when it was in frequent use. Of course, taking it apart and leaving it scattered now would be a disgrace and should not be a legitimate option.

icon_biggrin.gif My brother and I found one of the oldest in Alabama today DH2455. We are not sure if it is the oldest in the state but it must be close. The original point was placed as an old beer bottle in 1887. In 1939 some concrete was crudely placed on the bottle and a disk set in its place stamped 1887. Jeff35080 will be posting pics later this evening. We were certainly pumped to discover this one as well as a 1939 reset 62.2 feet from the 1887 disk.

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."