Suggestions for getting cache locations covering large areas

harryflashman

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to geocaching, but i've been bitten hard but the geocaching bug and can see it slowly taking over my life for the considerable future. I've got a Vista CX, have GSAK installed and have a PDA ordered to get the paperless caching thing going, but I have a query about getting/organizing mass cache info.

I live in LA, but i'm originally English. I try to explore the area as much as possible for a number of reasons, work, friends, visiting gf's family and just curiosity in general.

Anyway, i'll get to the point... there is no real structure to my travelling habits, often someone will say "hey, wanna go to <insert location>?" and we'll take off in that direction. This means I often won't have any caches loaded into my gps for that particular place.

Is there a way to slowly build up a comprehensive database of the caches in the whole region? I understand how PQ's work (I think). I've been creating PQ's for areas i know i'll be going to, but that leaves me with a map that looks like its caught the measles, random blobs of caches dotted around it.

Is there an easy way to systematically obtain cache info/locations without missing any or overlapping (for the whole region)?

I appreciate this may be quite a foolish thing to ask, but i'm sure there's a way for me to do this.

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by harryflashman

Building a database and keeping it on your computer doesn't really make any sense (I know I tried) because it may be months before you get to an area and your data will be outdated. Caches archived, some down for maintenance, some moved a bit.

What we do is plan at least a day or two ahead where we want to go, OR I'll have premade PQs or bookmark lists that can be run on a couple hours notice. That way the info is up to date, loaded into the laptop so all GPSrs can be quickly loaded, and we're on our way.

Building a database and keeping it on your computer doesn't really make any sense (I know I tried) because it may be months before you get to an area and your data will be outdated. Caches archived, some down for maintenance, some moved a bit.

What we do is plan at least a day or two ahead where we want to go, OR I'll have premade PQs or bookmark lists that can be run on a couple hours notice. That way the info is up to date, loaded into the laptop so all GPSrs can be quickly loaded, and we're on our way.

Thanks for the response ngrrfan. What you say makes perfect sense. It's a shame PQ's can't include more caches, but I'm sure they are limited to keep the filesize/server load manageable.

I've only been doing this for a short time, but I have been planning ahead when possible. It'd be a bonus to have the ability to be at any location and think "I have a spare half hour, let's see what caches are in the area" and not have to rely on internet access or pre-planning to do this.

Thanks again for your comment.

If you want to keep a database of an area that includes too many caches for a PQ, the best way is to make a large circle and then select caches by date placed. For example, you might have on PQ that covers caches placed from January 1, 1995 (yeah before the first cache was placed, but don't sweat the small stuff) to February 23, 2003. The next would run from February 24, 2003 to maybe April 15, 2004 and so on. The exact date would depend on how may caches are returned. Do not select a date for these to run until you have narrowed down the dates. Each time you submit the PQ, the number of caches returned is listed so you can adjust as needed. Also, Jeremy has promised that the limit of caches per PQ will go up to 1000 in early May.

You can use GSAK to keep a database of geocaches. Only problem, like ngrrfan said, is that it is outdated quite quickly, and since archived caches are not returned in PQs, GSAK has no way to determine when a cache is archived without wiping out the database and repopulating it with new PQs every now and then.

Another way is to get yourself a cheap netbook and when you go to a new area to geocache, find yourself a place with free wi-fi access and do a pocket query there.

Thanks to everyone for your comments/advice. I'm afraid i'm a troglodyte when it comes to the iPhone and other smart phones. I use my current cellphone very rarely and can't justify spending the extra notes on a contract or an expensive handset.

I can see that for the majority of people that would be the ideal solution though. My problem is that I continuously find myself in a situation where I end up with a spare hour or so and think "doh!! if only i'd known i'd have this spare time i'd have done a PQ for this!!" At which point I look around me thinking of all the potential caches I may be missing out on hehe.

Thanks again <_<

harryflashman - I also live in the LA area, but down in OC. I keep an off-line database of the closest 1,400 caches or so and they describe a circle with a radius of about 12 miles.

To go out 50 miles from my house, which would not make it to the far end of the LA metro area, now you are talking about 14,500 caches. Your GPSr only holds 500 waypoints and you won't make it very far before you outrun your loaded caches!

Your best bets are either to carry a laptop, find free wi-fi, create a PQ and download it to your GPSr

- or -

get a smartphone that just looks up the caches no matter where you are.

harryflashman - I also live in the LA area, but down in OC. I keep an off-line database of the closest 1,400 caches or so and they describe a circle with a radius of about 12 miles.

To go out 50 miles from my house, which would not make it to the far end of the LA metro area, now you are talking about 14,500 caches. Your GPSr only holds 500 waypoints and you won't make it very far before you outrun your loaded caches!

Your best bets are either to carry a laptop, find free wi-fi, create a PQ and download it to your GPSr

- or -

get a smartphone that just looks up the caches no matter where you are.

Ayep. Living in a rural location heavy cache loads aren't a problem. When I'm traveling I spend a lot of time picking and choosing which caches I might want to try for.

Realtime access seems like the only answer.

I still have to filter out and research caches I want to attempt.

just curious, do you have such a short notice of when/where you'll be going that you have no time to run some PQ's for that area?

Hey t4e. It's not that I never have enough time to run a PQ, if I am near a PC and have time it's all good. I am just trying to see if I can get as much info as possible (and kept up to date) so I don't have to keep running individual PQ's. That way I can just jump in the car and go, knowing there's a good chance i'll have the cache info if I have a spare moment to do some caching.