Would these interest you if you found them in a cache?

All right...I'm new to this geocaching thing, and I've been thinking about swag.

I've cruised the forums and googled a number of things, and I've been considering what I want to have on hand to give out.

My sibs will probably prefer to find cool things in a dollar store to put in, but I like to handmake stuff for other people. I don't like to do the same thing over and over, so I'll probably have a variety.

To get down to the heart of the matter, I've actually narrowed down my many ideas into a couple of possibilities. I want to know, before I make up too much of any one thing, if these ideas are cool, or if they are totally lame and not worth putting my effort into.

I'm an artist...in many different mediums. (I'm actually considering, after I get some more experience under my belt, of creating an art-themed cache.)

One of the main things I'm considering is hand-drawn/painted bookmarks. I did some the other day for my family that I think turned out really cool.

Watercolor_bookmarks_1_by_Rana_chan.jpg

They are probably approximately 4 inches long by 1.5-2 inches wide. They are laminated and hole punched in one end for the fibers to tie through. I would probably put them in a ziploc bag, so as to protect them from the weather. On one side would be a drawn or painted image, and on the other would most likely be my name and symbol.

I am also considering doing paintings on miniature canvasses sold at the craft store. They are tiny, probably 3x3 inches. I would probably reserve those for caches I am particularly impressed by. *grins*

Non-art ideas I am considering are friendship bracelets, miniature polymer clay sculptures, and amigurumi (crocheted animals/foods/thing) made from embroidery thread. Or yarn, I suppose, if the cache is large enough for it.

Part of the reason I'm considering creating such a variety is so that I have something to fit in any type of cache. The other part is that I get bored doing the same thing over and over. *grins*

Would these be good items to use? In your opinion, would you enjoy finding any of these things in a cache? (I realize that everyone's opinion will be different...I just want to get some feedback before I put a lot of my time into it. ^^)

Those are great ideas. I would only add the caveat that things inside caches tend to get manhandled a little bit. Unfortunately the bookmarks will likely get bent and damaged.

I, myself, have made small handmade ceramic tokens that I put in caches as a signature item.

Planning on enclosing all items into ziploc bags. If that does not prove duable enough, I'll use plainer yarn.

Sometimes stuff can sit in a cache for quite a while. Even stuff in a ziploc bag can look kind of grungy. You could also make the tail out of some plastic/nylon line and decorate with some inexpensive beads.

True. Hadn't considered that.

I'll experiment with a couple of other options.

I'll ask my daughters tomorrow. I am sure they would have all sorts of crafty ideas.

If you laminate them then punch a big hole in the top of the bookmarker first for the string and once its laminated punch a smaller hole in the middle of the big hole. Any part of the paper that's showing will be the first to start sucking in water. You could also try map sealer first and then laminate them. I was thinking either just a plain bookmarker or use paracord if you really feel that you need some string. I also like the ceramic tokens idea. Swiz

I know for a fact my daughters would love the book markers and bracelets.I think your ideas are great!There is something special about things that are hand made that makes them more desireable.I am going to give my daughters the same idea you have.Very creative.As far as water damage to the bookmarks just punch a larger hole in the bookmark before you laminate them,then punch a smaller hole through the same hole in the marker after you laminated them.The hole would be sealed. <_<

Sorry swizzle..I posted this before I read yours...oops...Great minds think alike? :)

Edited by chachi44089

How about the friendship bracelets. I'm practiced enough that a number of them will actually be fairly complex patterns, and they'd fit into most caches.

Would those be interesting to find?

I'd include a card/note with these, so people will know thay are handmade, and more valuable than a storebought one.

You'll need to make 627 of these if you want to go on a run to beat the record for caches in a 24 hour period. Swiz

I would trade for any and all of these :P I have a friendship bracelet segment I made years ago on my keychain :D Could the plastic string you use to make friendship bracelets work for the top of the bookmarks? That would make the entire thing waterproof. Definitely sounds like a good idea to keep the bookmarks to 4 inches to minimize the odds they'd get bent. And I like the idea of having a little note inside to say it's by you. Another thought is to maybe use a printer with a sheet of sticky labels to write a brief little note you can stick INSIDE the ziploc bag (to protect it) to indicate it was "Crafted by ____". The tiny canvases sound really cute. I'm going to have to look for those.

Thanks for all the responses!

I'll definitely have to start working on some of these now, to have a little stockpile when I have some time to go out. ^^

The amigurumi I'm thinking of would be tiny, made from embroidery thread instead of regular yarn. I wouldn't make/place too many, though...takes an hour apiece at minimum. And thread is hard on the hands. *laughs*

Actually, I recently had an idea. In Texas I saw a cache that was 'Roadkill Alley' or some such thing, where there tended to be a vast amount of roadkill. I thought if I found a similar road near where I live, I'd try to put a cache with one of these as a FTF prize.

Roadkill_Armadillo_Amigurumi_by_Rana_chan.jpg

It would be in regular armadillo colours and not camouflage. (This one was a gift for my dad...he's in the Army. *grins*)

He's got embroidered X's for eyes and tire treads on his stomach.

Edited by litefoot13

I'll definitely have to start working on some of these now, to have a little stockpile when I have some time to go out. ^^

The amigurumi I'm thinking of would be tiny, made from embroidery thread instead of regular yarn. I wouldn't make/place too many, though...takes an hour apiece at minimum. And thread is hard on the hands. *laughs*

Actually, I recently had an idea. In Texas I saw a cache that was 'Roadkill Alley' or some such thing, where there tended to be a vast amount of roadkill. I thought if I found a similar road near where I live, I'd try to put a cache with one of these as a FTF prize.

It would be in regular armadillo colours and not camouflage. (This one was a gift for my dad...he's in the Army. *grins*)

yuk :)

I have access to my mom's personal laminator. It does the awesome 'hard' lamination.

Some of my favorite bookmarks came from a used-book store. They took people's old photographs (mostly nature shots) and cut them in half widthwise. They stamped their name on the back.

The photo paper is hardy enough to stand up to how I beat on my bookmarks. ^^

Additional question, now...

My brother is watching my sister and me making all these cool things to put into caches...not being crafty he feels a little bit left out.

I had a thought...since he's really into photography, maybe he could turn some of his best pictures into 'place trading cards'. Print them out, write the place, maybe a short description, and sign the back, then laminate them.

Would those be interesting swag to find?

Edited by litefoot13

My brother is watching my sister and me making all these cool things to put into caches...not being crafty he feels a little bit left out.

I had a thought...since he's really into photography, maybe he could turn some of his best pictures into 'place trading cards'. Print them out, write the place, maybe a short description, and sign the back, then laminate them.

Definitely! :laughing:

Definitely! :laughing:

Thanks! He's excited to start making them...is starting to look at everything with a photographer's eye. "Would this make a good card?"

All right...I'm new to this geocaching thing, and I've been thinking about swag.

I've cruised the forums and googled a number of things, and I've been considering what I want to have on hand to give out.

My sibs will probably prefer to find cool things in a dollar store to put in, but I like to handmake stuff for other people. I don't like to do the same thing over and over, so I'll probably have a variety.

To get down to the heart of the matter, I've actually narrowed down my many ideas into a couple of possibilities. I want to know, before I make up too much of any one thing, if these ideas are cool, or if they are totally lame and not worth putting my effort into.

I'm an artist...in many different mediums. (I'm actually considering, after I get some more experience under my belt, of creating an art-themed cache.)

One of the main things I'm considering is hand-drawn/painted bookmarks. I did some the other day for my family that I think turned out really cool.

Watercolor_bookmarks_1_by_Rana_chan.jpg

They are probably approximately 4 inches long by 1.5-2 inches wide. They are laminated and hole punched in one end for the fibers to tie through. I would probably put them in a ziploc bag, so as to protect them from the weather. On one side would be a drawn or painted image, and on the other would most likely be my name and symbol.

I am also considering doing paintings on miniature canvasses sold at the craft store. They are tiny, probably 3x3 inches. I would probably reserve those for caches I am particularly impressed by. *grins*

Non-art ideas I am considering are friendship bracelets, miniature polymer clay sculptures, and amigurumi (crocheted animals/foods/thing) made from embroidery thread. Or yarn, I suppose, if the cache is large enough for it.

Part of the reason I'm considering creating such a variety is so that I have something to fit in any type of cache. The other part is that I get bored doing the same thing over and over. *grins*

Would these be good items to use? In your opinion, would you enjoy finding any of these things in a cache? (I realize that everyone's opinion will be different...I just want to get some feedback before I put a lot of my time into it. ^^)

Cool stuff! I like it. :laughing:

Another thing you might make is origami swag. I'm making some inflatable origami balloons right now for a cache I'm preparing. I'm not exactly the best at origami, but even I can make these balloons. How to make: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Origami-Balloon

yuk :laughing:

Ditto. Seeing that would make me think of real animals in pain after being hit by a car. Very crafty and clever, but it would make me sad.

Another thing you might make is origami swag. I'm making some inflatable origami balloons right now for a cache I'm preparing. I'm not exactly the best at origami, but even I can make these balloons. How to make: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Origami-Balloon

I've thought about it...in fact, I'm really good at making miniature paper cranes (like, small enough to fit 3-4 in a locket). I'm considering watching for some teeny, tiny bottles, putting in a colourful crane, and gluing the top in.

Just don't know where to find said teeny tiny bottles.

I've thought about it...in fact, I'm really good at making miniature paper cranes (like, small enough to fit 3-4 in a locket). I'm considering watching for some teeny, tiny bottles, putting in a colourful crane, and gluing the top in.

Cute! I wonder if you could find some tiny bottles at craft stores, like the little babydoll bottles and whatnot...not sure about the lid..maybe a little cork.

Cute! I wonder if you could find some tiny bottles at craft stores, like the little babydoll bottles and whatnot...not sure about the lid..maybe a little cork.

I got the idea from from browsing through etsy.com one day...particularly from this item.

Maybe I should write the artist and ask where they get their bottles. *grins*