New Garmin Oregon, Dakota and Colorado software

ALWAYS try a master reset before reverting firmware. ALWAYS....

;)

missed that step, and now my 400t is just limping along as a GPSr and is useless for caching.

A master reset AFTER the downgrade didn't change much.

I have this issue with my Colorado after loading GPX files, but only sometimes. I get four possible results:

1) No caches appear to be on the unit.

2) A random selection of caches appear, no idea how it decides what to show but never the cache I am closest to, I think it hates me ;) .

3) They appear but details are blank and it normally then turns itself off.

4) It works fine.

I have tried loading smaller files and even odd caches but the results can be any one of the above. I have found that a master reset then setting it up again and switching to geocaching mode normally sorts it. It keeps all my settings in that profile which is odd, but I am not complaining. On occasions there are still no caches so another reset virtually always brings them back on the second power up cycle.

I have reported this a couple of times to Garmin but no response, yet B) plus it hanging when loading the maps after adding a new GPX file, normally I turn it off and back on at this stage and it is fine.

So if one reset does not work try it all again. I can almost set my GPS back up without looking at it now as I have had to reset it so many times.

B)

missed that step, and now my 400t is just limping along as a GPSr and is useless for caching.

I have this issue with my Colorado after loading GPX files, but only sometimes. I get four possible results:

2) A random selection of caches appear, no idea how it decides what to show but never the cache I am closest to, I think it hates me ;) .

4) It works fine.

I have tried loading smaller files and even odd caches but the results can be any one of the above. I have found that a master reset then setting it up again and switching to geocaching mode normally sorts it. It keeps all my settings in that profile which is odd, but I am not complaining. On occasions there are still no caches so another reset virtually always brings them back on the second power up cycle.

I have reported this a couple of times to Garmin but no response, yet B) plus it hanging when loading the maps after adding a new GPX file, normally I turn it off and back on at this stage and it is fine.

So if one reset does not work try it all again. I can almost set my GPS back up without looking at it now as I have had to reset it so many times.

that's where I am ;)

Haven't had it this bad for so long. 3.70.& 3.80 aren't working too well for me :)

3.70 used to work OK so it's a little confusing :?

1) Delete all GPX files from the unit.

2) Turn it on.

3) Put GPX files back on unit.

4) Turn on.

A safer way to avoid needing a computer....

- Do not put any GPX files on the internal memory. Put them only on the card. Then you can...

1) Remove card and power unit.

2) Turn off unit and put in SD card.

3) Turn on again.

2) Turn it on.

4) Turn on.

- Do not put any GPX files on the internal memory. Put them only on the card. Then you can...

3) Turn on again.

Thanks

I've been doing that, but at step 3 I've been copying the files back using windows and it hasn't been working for me.

I've just tried again with using GSAK at step 3 and got the 400t working again.

Maybe I had the usual issues plus a rogue .gpx file.

I'm re-trying 3.80 and currently haven't an issue to report ;) (except for several versions of software I always get the hanging when loading the maps after adding a new GPX file, normally I turn it off and back on at this stage and it is fine so it's good to come here and find other sufferrers B);)

Edited by kevenh

So I just got my new Garmin Oregon 550 today and it came preloaded with 3.10 software. Overall what is the general populations feedback on the new 3.40 code? Should I upgrade? or stay where I am at for now?

Any feedback would be awesome.. :rolleyes:

I would definitely get the update, it's not a beta version. Use the Garmin WebUpdater program. 3.10 doesn't support the BirdsEye Aerial Imagery.

Check out all the latest info at the Oregon Wiki Linky

So I just got my new Garmin Oregon 550 today and it came preloaded with 3.10 software. Overall what is the general populations feedback on the new 3.40 code? Should I upgrade? or stay where I am at for now?

Any feedback would be awesome.. :rolleyes:

I give it a big thumbs up...I updated my 550t, and have been very pleased with performance - stable with no problems whatsoever.

Bill

Hi wesser26,

Sounds interesting :rolleyes:

How much are you asking for the City Navigator?

Cheers Roger

Hi Roger, I paid $104.05, when I bought it in November '09. I would take $80.00 for it. Here is my email wesserman@gmail.com, if you want to contact me that way.

Thanks

Wes

2) Turn it on.

4) Turn on.

3) Turn on again.

Thanks

I've been doing that, but at step 3 I've been copying the files back using windows and it hasn't been working for me.

I've just tried again with using GSAK at step 3 and got the 400t working again.

Maybe I had the usual issues plus a rogue .gpx file.

I'm re-trying 3.80 and currently haven't an issue to report :D (except for several versions of software I always get the hanging when loading the maps after adding a new GPX file, normally I turn it off and back on at this stage and it is fine so it's good to come here and find other sufferrers :D :D

;) Just come back from using the 3.80 400t on my first walking route + caching.

I get the issue where the unit freezes trying to get the cache description or hint :lol:

Roll on the 3.8 beta version!!!

I get the issue where the unit freezes trying to get the cache description or hint :lol:

Hmm, I had the same problem on my Oregon 450 yesterday, but only with some caches, not others. I'm trying to isolate just what, maybe, is on the offending cache page to freeze the unit. So far I'm looking at animated gifs as possible culprits.

I get the issue where the unit freezes trying to get the cache description or hint :anibad:

Hmm, I had the same problem on my Oregon 450 yesterday, but only with some caches, not others. I'm trying to isolate just what, maybe, is on the offending cache page to freeze the unit. So far I'm looking at animated gifs as possible culprits.

I take some comfort from not being picked on specifically by Garmin then. B)

pls Update the post when you have sussed out the pattern.

Thanks.

Now for another question. I have never had to regress to an older revision.

How do I install it on my 300?

I always download and save the software version to my PC, but that's just me. Then I update or downgrade to the version I want. To downgrade use the same procedure as an upgrade without using Webupdater... Download & save file, I just have to Dbl. click with GPS (Oregon 400t) hooked up and will start install.

With a downgrade, GPS settings will go back to factory default. Backup anything on your GPS you want to keep... waypts., routes, tracks. Remove memory card as a safety precaution. Some individuals in the past I believe have reported having to do the install twice, I have always been successful with only 1 install when downgrading. Try putting your GPS in a Profile that you don't use before downgrading, I have seen where only that profile went back to the factory default and the ones I use regularly stayed the same, but no guarantees.

Edited by eaparks
Thanks.

I always download and save the software version to my PC, but that's just me. Then I update or downgrade to the version I want. To downgrade use the same procedure as an upgrade without using Webupdater... Download & save file, I just have to Dbl. click with GPS (Oregon 400t) hooked up and will start install.

With a downgrade, GPS settings will go back to factory default. Backup anything on your GPS you want to keep... waypts., routes, tracks. Remove memory card as a safety precaution. Some individuals in the past I believe have reported having to do the install twice, I have always been successful with only 1 install when downgrading. Try putting your GPS in a Profile that you don't use, I have seen where only that profile went back to the factory default and the ones I use regularly stayed the same, but no guarantees.

I must be missing something. The file I downloaded has a .gcd extension and you can't double click on it.

Then you can use Webudater without connecting to the internet and direct Webupdater to the saved 3.60 .gcd file.

There is a post on here somewhere that also goes into detail on how to just replace the .gcd file.

Webupdater won't run if there is no internet connection.

Yes, it can be made to. I have done it on a lap top out in the wilderness when I had saved the Webupdater program and the Oregon software version ahead of time on a memory card, then installed both on a friends computer/laptop at camp and downgraded his Oregon's software. There was no internet connection we were so far in the boonies no cell phones would work.

Then you can use Webudater without connecting to the internet and direct Webupdater to the saved 3.60 .gcd file.

There is a post on here somewhere that also goes into detail on how to just replace the .gcd file.

Info for downgrading is here... WikiSpaces

"Each Software Version below is linked to that version's gcd file. Normally I would recommend upgrading through Webupdater but if for some reason you can't (e.g. you are trying to downgrade) then you can update using the following procedure:

- Use the links below under "Software Version" to download the gcd file for the version you want to use

- Change the name of the file you just download to gupdate.gcd

- Attach the Oregon to your computer and verify that it is in USB Mass storage mode

- Copy gupdate.gcd to [OR drive]:\Garmin\gupdate.gcd

- Restart the Oregon "

Is that what you're after?

Info for downgrading is here... WikiSpaces

"Each Software Version below is linked to that version's gcd file. Normally I would recommend upgrading through Webupdater but if for some reason you can't (e.g. you are trying to downgrade) then you can update using the following procedure:

- Use the links below under "Software Version" to download the gcd file for the version you want to use

- Change the name of the file you just download to gupdate.gcd

- Attach the Oregon to your computer and verify that it is in USB Mass storage mode

- Copy gupdate.gcd to [OR drive]:\Garmin\gupdate.gcd

- Restart the Oregon "

Is that what you're after?

That did it. Thanks Graham.

Thanks.

With a downgrade, GPS settings will go back to factory default. Backup anything on your GPS you want to keep... waypts., routes, tracks. Remove memory card as a safety precaution. Some individuals in the past I believe have reported having to do the install twice, I have always been successful with only 1 install when downgrading. Try putting your GPS in a Profile that you don't use before downgrading, I have seen where only that profile went back to the factory default and the ones I use regularly stayed the same, but no guarantees.

Could you please send me the 3.70 file? I would really appreciate it :D

Here's my mailadress: robin@bussel-av.nl

Thanks.

I did not download 3.70 due to all of the reported problems of street names not appearing properly; I went from 3.60 to 3.80.

All recent releases (except 3.70, which was a mess and lasted for a week) can be found here: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Version...ased%20upgrades

If you have issues with 3.80, you will want to back up to 3.60, NOT 3.70.

Drag and drop the *.gcd file on Webupdater to install it.

:laughing:

2) A random selection of caches appear, no idea how it decides what to show but never the cache I am closest to, I think it hates me :D .

4) It works fine.

I have reported this a couple of times to Garmin but no response, yet :( plus it hanging when loading the maps after adding a new GPX file, normally I turn it off and back on at this stage and it is fine.

Are you putting the caches on a microSD card or internal memory? If you're using a microSD card you might want to back the data up and format it. If you're still having a problem try a different card if you can just to rule it out.

Could you please send me the 3.70 file? I would really appreciate it :blink:

All recent releases (except 3.70, which was a mess and lasted for a week) can be found here: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Version...ased%20upgrades

If you have issues with 3.80, you will want to back up to 3.60, NOT 3.70.

Drag and drop the *.gcd file on Webupdater to install it.

Okay did not know that! Thanks for the info, I downgraded my garmin to 3.60. works fine again now!

Are you putting the caches on a microSD card or internal memory? If you're using a microSD card you might want to back the data up and format it. If you're still having a problem try a different card if you can just to rule it out.

Straight onto the internal memory. Following the delete the PQ unplug the USB start the GPS turn it off, connect the USB etc etc seems to work. I finally got a reply from Garmin yesterday asking if I was still having issues so I have replied and now wait again.

Hmm

Mid April 3.80 came out. No patch/beta since

Do Garmin think they've finished fixing and developing the Oregon?

I hope not. I went to use my 400t after using GSAK to update the cache locations.

As often happens the locations displayed were random and missing a bunch near me.

I tried the 'finger held on the screen top left' system restart but now the 400t doesn't think I've got any cache files. :blink:

'should've stuck with the flawed but predictable explorist :mad:

Edited by kevenh

[rude word deleted :blink: ] it took three system resets and one gpx folder delete to get the current caches loaded.

add the frequent routes from Mapsource and MemoryMap that have a waypoint change to lat 0 long 0 on a route and I'm well pleased I jumped from Magellan to Garmin :mad:

Are these issues just with the Oregon? Has anyone seen any issues with the latest update for the Colorado?

The only thing I have noticed is very slow cold boot, but havent had a chance to really look at anything else yet. Heading to Yellowstone soon and dont want to find out its jacked once I get there....