New Garmin Oregon, Dakota and Colorado software

All available via webupdater, I've installed all w/o issue.

Oregon x50 3.4

Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.40:

* Added BirdsEye control to Profiles.

* Fixed map display problems.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

Oregon x00 3.8

Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:

* Added BirdsEye control to profiles.

* Added screen calibration option to Oregon 200.

* Fixed issue changing marine modes.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4051

Dakota 2.9

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:

* Fixed issue changing marine map modes.

* Fixed crash while saving a track

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4527

Colorado 3.4

* Fixed issue setting marine map modes.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3887

Installed Ver 3.80 on the Oregon 400t, and went caching. Worked flawlessly, and although it did not retain WAAS under all conditions...I did acquire #51, and had D's at the bottom of all bars. Don't know why WAAS isn't stable while moving, but I rarely use it, and have it turned off almost all the time anyway.

Bill

Hi,

about the chipset firmware upgrade, I am also curious about that. What is the difference between 3.70 and 4.34? I note that it gets the position faster ?!

4.34 was introduced in the previous release is was probably related to this vague release note for software 3.7:

Corrected issue with GPS acquisition on certain units.

I was one who had street names showing before the update, and I still applied the update. I am glad I did, because now I see that I had *some* street names showing, but apparently not all. Now that I have applied the update, I have more street names showing than I had before the update.

I did notice that on the "System Setup" page it now states WAAS/EGNOS where it used to just say "WAAS". I also saw what appears to be new entries in the "System Interface" mode selection that I don't remember being there before (but I haven't been in this screen for a while either).

Looks like the WAAS/EGNOS isn't totally resolved. I updated my Oregon 300 last night. Played around then set it for WAAS and much to my surprise it picked up satelllite #51 and had all the D's in the others. Well I went out this morning to grab a new cache. Fired up the Oregon, then let it settle in, then looked for the WAAS connection. Not there . Looks like its still hit and miss. :P

Gotta say, I'm rather pleased with Garmin. (vs, say my experiences with Magellan and my eXplorist 600)

My GPS, a Colorado 400t is "discontinued" and yet I still get timely firmware updates that even give new features. With 3.4 I believe Garmin has fixed all the 'bugs me' type problems, like the transparent map issue and they give me BirdsEye support --- which is awesome for geocaching. It sure does look like they (eventually) listen to their customer base. They could have just walked away from updates at v3.0 and left us there, but they didn't.

There's a few things on the newer Oregons we don't get (track management) but hey they have to leave *some* reason to tempt us Colorado owners to upgrade, don't they. I believe I'll be using my Colorado for years yet!

They are updating it so they can sell us birds eye. I got my CO when it first came out and they have still not fixed some things many yaars latter. While the CO had problems, they were out there adding fetures to the OR that the CO does not have. We paid lots of money for the GPS and Garmin did a losy job of fixing problems and adding features. Don't get me wrong, I really like my CO-I just do not like Garmin.

Gotta say, I'm rather pleased with Garmin. (vs, say my experiences with Magellan and my eXplorist 600)

My GPS, a Colorado 400t is "discontinued" and yet I still get timely firmware updates that even give new features. With 3.4 I believe Garmin has fixed all the 'bugs me' type problems, like the transparent map issue and they give me BirdsEye support --- which is awesome for geocaching. It sure does look like they (eventually) listen to their customer base. They could have just walked away from updates at v3.0 and left us there, but they didn't.

There's a few things on the newer Oregons we don't get (track management) but hey they have to leave *some* reason to tempt us Colorado owners to upgrade, don't they. I believe I'll be using my Colorado for years yet!

Updated my 400t and all seems well. My desire in this was to have a colored active track. I hated the black. Only thing I noticed was that it needed to re-load some of the almanac. I started out with about5 or 6 sats and 65' EPE. After about 5 mins the sats filled in and my EPE dropped to around 9' or 10'. Aquired WAAS. When the Waas sat dropped out the corrections ("D's") stayed about a minute or two just as they should.

All available via webupdater, I've installed all w/o issue.

Oregon x50 3.4

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

Oregon x00 3.8

Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:

* Added BirdsEye control to profiles.

* Added screen calibration option to Oregon 200.

* Fixed issue changing marine modes.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4051

Dakota 2.9

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:

* Fixed issue changing marine map modes.

* Fixed crash while saving a track

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4527

Colorado 3.4

* Fixed issue setting marine map modes.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3887

I don't see any profile selection for Birds Eye View--How does one get that profile to show? Oregon 550 with latest 3.40 update

Hi all,

I'm trying to change back the software on my 400C to ver 3.60 as that is the highest version that will allow me to use Oz Topo maps.

I found version 3.50 on the wiki but not version 3.60.

If somebody could post a link to the GCD version of 3.60 that would be a great help.

Thanks for any help,

all the best Roger

Hi all,

I'm trying to change back the software on my 400C to ver 3.60 as that is the highest version that will allow me to use Oz Topo maps.

I found version 3.50 on the wiki but not version 3.60.

If somebody could post a link to the GCD version of 3.60 that would be a great help.

Thanks for any help,

all the best Roger

http://gawisp.com/perry/oregon/Oregon_WebUpdater__360.gcd

Glad I could help. FWIW, it appears that Garmin actually sanctions the perry site for archival copies of their firmware. Tech support even pointed me to that site the other day when I needed to "back up". Why Garmin can't just own up to the fact that ever release isn't necessarily "good" and keep one back version on their site is beyond me. For some things they do, but for most they don't.

Hi, well lucky for me, the perry site was a great help.

With updating and then down grading the software I have lost the waypoints that were on my GPS.

Before I started, I made a copy of the Garmin folder from the GPS to my computer.

Any idea which file contains the waypoints? :D

Any help would be great thanks.

cheers Roger

ALWAYS try a master reset before reverting firmware. ALWAYS....

:D

missed that step, and now my 400t is just limping along as a GPSr and is useless for caching.

A master reset AFTER the downgrade didn't change much.

And my tip for doing the master reset is to select a profile you haven't customised for the reset duration, and then reselect your usual profile when the GPSr is back up. :D

I did notice that 3.80 fixed my route imports from MapSource & MemoryMap :?

In 3.70 and 3.60 (& maybe the last few betas) I get a waypoint changed to Lat 0 Long 0 on the route.

So, maybe I'll try 3.80 again as the best of a bad bunch :D

Hi, well lucky for me, the perry site was a great help.

With updating and then down grading the software I have lost the waypoints that were on my GPS.

Before I started, I made a copy of the Garmin folder from the GPS to my computer.

Any idea which file contains the waypoints? :D

Any help would be great thanks.

cheers Roger

I think you'll need the current.gpx and/or the temp.gpx

But if you have temp.gpx I expect that means you have MapSource and can reload your waypoints with that tool - assuming you had your waypoints saved there.

But, you may have to rebuild your waypoints a new :D

Could someone who's upgraded comment on the affects with UK discoverer maps please - every release seems to cause a new set of issues with these !

Ta.

All (thirdparty maps) sooner or later have to be reregistered, the maker of the maps should have a patch or helpfile how and what to do by now.

In the end Garmin tries to get a 100% control over your mapsource/basecamp maps and gps, this is done by inserting a certificate in the map, so in case you use unknown maps (numbers) to garmin, it is very good possible your map gets blocked.

Before updating mapsource/basecamp or gps firmware be sure your mapprovider has support, also be aware this new software can really mess up your computer.

All (thirdparty maps) sooner or later have to be reregistered, the maker of the maps should have a patch or helpfile how and what to do by now.

In the end Garmin tries to get a 100% control over your mapsource/basecamp maps and gps, this is done by inserting a certificate in the map, so in case you use unknown maps (numbers) to garmin, it is very good possible your map gets blocked.

That's only a problem if your third party maps are using specific Map IDs (above 2000 or so I believe). So yes, check with your Mapping provider to see if there is a fix (typically just a minor one). Garmin is not locking out all third party maps, they're just increasing the security/DRM on their specific products.

Free third party maps are (typically) not affected, third party maps with copy protection may require a tweak. You can always revert your firmware if your third party map stops working.

This is more an issue on the newer Nuvi products than the CO/OR/DA line.

Edited by northernpenguin

Thanks for the idea kevenh,

I used mapsource to open the current GPX file that I had saved to the computer and sent to GPS and it worked a treat, all waypoints returned to the GPS.

That was a very easy way to do it!! :D

I paid $225 for Oz Topo map here in Australia and with this latest Garmin upgrade it made it unusable.

So it seems you can have an up to date Garmin with no Oz Topo or outdated Garmin software and Oz Topo.

I read on the Oz Topo forum that Oz Topo won't work with the latest version of basecamp either.

I rang the makers of Oz Topo today and they said they will get back to me, I'll post their reply.

Garmin released a Topo map for Australia last year [ it wasn't available when I bought Oz Topo] so I hope this isn't a way to do away with the opposition... Oz Topo!

Maybe Oz Topo will send me Garmin Topo lol

Thanks for all the help, I have a useable GPS again :D

I just saw your post. I took a two month vacation to Australia in Dec. and Jan. I bought a Garmin City Navigator Aus & NZ NT, microDS/SD Card - full coverage for the Garmin Oregon 400t. Would you know anyone that would like to buy it? Thanks, Wesser26

Thanks for the idea kevenh,

I used mapsource to open the current GPX file that I had saved to the computer and sent to GPS and it worked a treat, all waypoints returned to the GPS.

That was a very easy way to do it!! :)

I paid $225 for Oz Topo map here in Australia and with this latest Garmin upgrade it made it unusable.

So it seems you can have an up to date Garmin with no Oz Topo or outdated Garmin software and Oz Topo.

I read on the Oz Topo forum that Oz Topo won't work with the latest version of basecamp either.

I rang the makers of Oz Topo today and they said they will get back to me, I'll post their reply.

Garmin released a Topo map for Australia last year [ it wasn't available when I bought Oz Topo] so I hope this isn't a way to do away with the opposition... Oz Topo!

Maybe Oz Topo will send me Garmin Topo lol

Thanks for all the help, I have a useable GPS again :)

To answer my own questions - this update has had a positive effect on the Garmin discoverer maps:-

- now unable to reproduce the OS mapping layer disappearing to reveal green blank map with just the routable info : used to be able to reproduce at will

- zooming and panning speed now much better also

So far so good for this update. Slight improvement in waas lock too.

(oregon 300 btw)

Anyone still having issues when you search for a POI, the second letter pauses for several seconds before showing as typed?
Wasn't that way with the original software, but my Dakota 20 is exhibiting pauses at quite a few points these days, including the simple task of marking a waypoint and trying to modify the coordinates. That one is a particular pain since, after I don't see the number appear, I hit the spot again and get a double when things eventually catch up. Even more peculiar, when I add notes to a cache, various letters in the A~Z selection list disappear entirely from the display (one at a time), but are selectable all the same. They've got some work to do. Edited by ecanderson

The Oz Topo 2.1 map problem, reply / fix

wait till version Oz Topo 2.2 for a fix.

MapSource - As of 4th Feb, Garmin has released a new version of their computer software, MapSource (6.15.11) which won't allow OZtopo to be displayed or used on your PC.

Symptoms are the maps appear locked:

A warning message during startup may be displayed indicating OZtopo V2.1 Roads are locked

On the map screen, bottom right hand corner under scale bar "Maps locked" may appear

If this occurs, please check the version of MapSource being used, via Help, About MapSource. If its V6.15.10 or later please down grade back to 6.15.7 via these instructions

MAC - If you use a MAC you will have to use MapInstall V2.1.0 available from here

Oregon V3.30 Firmware - the latest version of Oregon Software, V3.30 onwards again causes problems with OZtopo. V2.2 of OZtopo will resolve this issue. In the mean time you can downgrade the Oregon firmware by following the instructions here

Dakota V2.70 Firmware - the latest version of Dakota Software, V2.80 onwards again causes problems with OZtopo. V2.2 of OZtopo will resolve this issue. In the mean time you can downgrade the Dakota firmware by following the instructions here