Can't Find Gaging Station Here

MapLady

I'm guessing that the benchmark I found (accidentally) today didn't make it to the list, but I'm also curious about what a Gaging Station is. Just before I started looking for the Mendenhall Treasure Trove geocache at Mendenhall Glacier near Juneau, Alaska, I found a benchmark. It was on the top of a rock near the shore of Mendenhall Lake which the glacier feeds into. The only information on it is "Gaging Station". I tried typing in the coordinates, but the closest benchmark is over 4 miles away. I looked at the closest few and none of them are near the glacier.

Does anyone know what a gaging station is? How do I check to see if this is just a benchmark missing from the list? icon_confused.gif

MapLady

From what (little) I understand, a gaging station is used to measure the water level.

You'll find gaging stations near rivers and lakes. Some I've seen are actual poles with marks for feet and inches, but others I've seen don't seem to have any sort of measurements on them. I don't know if they're the same thing.

Jamie