Is it SUPPOSED to be this hard?

the_wanderer

I went looking for three benchmarks today. One was on a bridge, one was 155 ft from a bridge, and one was close to an intersection. I was unable to find any of the three that I went looking for. The last time that they were located was 1964. The weird part is that two of the locations referenced utility poll numbers as a benchmark. I used the descriptions and checked all the utility poles in the area. I'm just not having any luck. I'm thinking about contacting the local utility company and seeing if I can get utility pole maps out of them. Does that sound reasonable to anyone?

Speaking as a municipal employee...

A while back our City renumbered all of the light poles. This is likely to happen with utility poles as well. I would not depend on old information regarding this type of thing.

Keep searching, though! I looked for six today and found three. They were smaller than I expected.

quote:
Originally posted by the_wanderer:

I went looking for three benchmarks today. One was on a bridge, one was 155 ft from a bridge, and one was close to an intersection. I was unable to find any of the three that I went looking for. The last time that they were located was 1964. The weird part is that two of the locations referenced utility poll numbers as a benchmark. I used the descriptions and checked all the utility poles in the area. I'm just not having any luck. I'm thinking about contacting the local utility company and seeing if I can get utility pole maps out of them. Does that sound reasonable to anyone?

Hello everyone, Im here to promote, and to thank you for, your interest in Land Surveying.

Please keep in mind as you search for these markers that they are frequently destroyed by development. Most are set in close proximity to highways for easy access, so they are often demolished during road widening projects.

For further information on Land Surveying, please feel free to visit us at rpls.com and ask any questions you may have.

Survey tech is correct. I started looking for in town markers this week. Everyone of them was destroyed by some form of new construction or another. A highscholl was demolished and the road widened, a bridge culvert was replaced when the road was repiared, railroad freight station and bank building were demolished. I am going into th eboonies next to see what I can find.

Good Luck to you Headmj! If you are a good navigator, I predict you will have success once you get out into the countryside! You may find the USGS topograhpic quadrangle maps very helpful out there - they often show a small triangle symbol where a marker was found during the mapping and they also show latitude and longitude.