illiteracy

Pawww

apart from the foreigners, and i mean people that physically leave in a another country where english is not first language, why don't the ones residing in english speaking countries have a spellchecker on their browsers?

i often wondered how do those with bad language/grammar skills get by when they need to write an official letter, do they just pay a professional and arm and a leg to write it for them?

How ironic.

Hopefully they were joking.

I will say that it's especially annoying to me with one poster, here, who doesn't add a space after punctuation. But, so far, I can refrain from stressing about it.

no space after punctuation huh well thats not so bad bad what about those people who dont use any punctionation at all i always have to cringe when i read a post like that because its so fricken hard to follow even more so when they use many short sentences in a row

and puts an apostrophe in front of the word cacher.

Of course, most of us use the word Cacher on it's own but it really should have an apostrophe, since the "Geo" is missing from it.

why? "cache" is a word by itself, so "cacher" by itself is also a word.

and puts an apostrophe in front of the word cacher.

Of course, most of us use the word Cacher on it's own but it really should have an apostrophe, since the "Geo" is missing from it.

why? "cache" is a word by itself, so "cacher" by itself is also a word.

I believe it's correct either way.

cachers look for caches

'cachers look for 'caches

I don't care a bit about what the logs say but the cache page needs to make sense. Of course there are good caches that do have a couple inadvertent typos... :)

The following is from a local puzzle cache.... loved it.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch sutdy at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

A SELF-GUIDED WALKING TOUR OF WEST READING

Prak at the ptsoed corodaniets and scaerh uintl you see a graet wlal. Wlak to the wlal but not itno it (ulnses yu’roe hugrny… tehy hvae graet food).

Satndnig udner the wlal, look for a pnik sohe. Wlak udner the sohe and cotniune to the nxet conrer wehre you wlil see a cmoomn tag.

At taht conrer saecrh utnil you see trhee sotp snigs in a row and fololw the steret in taht dricetoin.

At the scenod sotp sgin, scaerh for the red huose up the hlil and tehn wlak to the sotp sgin nxet to the red huose. As you get colse to the conrer, the gragaes wlil cuont dwon to let you konw taht yu’roe amlsot tehre.

Form tehre, fololw the silevr rialnig to the tarfifc lihgt. You wlil see a stnoe wlal taht mraks the crorcet conrer.

Trun at the lgiht and wlak aawy form the palyrogund wihle you cotniune to keep the stnoe wlal wtihin amrs raech. Cotniune utnil you see a geren sgin wtih red and bule clooerd wrods nxet to a gasls stiarcsae.

Saerch unitl you see the no pakrnig sgins taht wlil tkae you psat an arcehd wodoen gtae. Fololw tihs steret so taht as you wlak you can look dwon and see a shfufelbaord cuort on yuor lfet.

Cotniune utnil you see the rmoan colck form the conrer and tehn trun and wlak so taht tmie is beihnd you. Keep fololwnig the sdiewlak unitl it truns to brciks agian.

Jsut beofre you setp on the frist old brcik, sotp and look for a whtie mteal spkied fnece and wlak dwon the steret psat it. You wlil cotniune psat a sgin wtih puzlze peiecs and a stnoe bulidnig taht was biult in 1929.

Cotniune giong starihgt jsut psat the amptihhaeter biult for bsuhes. At taht conrer you wlil trun and wlak psat the red cadrianl pehcred naer the lgiht and tehn cotniune utnil you can’t go starihgt anmyore.

Satnd nxet to the sgin wtih a bule eye on it and look btoh wyas. Wlak aawy form the two ornage ploes and fololw the sdiewlak for aobut 100 yrads.

Psat the frie hyadrnt you wlil fnid the cahce naer the tere taht is gudared by trhee rcoks.

apart from the foreigners, and i mean people that physically leave in a another country where english is not first language, why don't the ones residing in english speaking countries have a spellchecker on their browsers?

i often wondered how do those with bad language/grammar skills get by when they need to write an official letter, do they just pay a professional and arm and a leg to write it for them?

At work, we can't install plugins. In order to spell check, I would have to copy it to MS word, then spell check, then copy it back. Anyway, I almost never do that.

PS, for my highschool English, and Social Studies final exams, I used a computer that had spell check. I am quite sure that I would have failed otherwise.

My primary language is english. When I goto Quebec (which is 15mins away) sometimes I feel compelled to try and write in French. I bet someone has made a french thread about my poor grammar. I hope they understand my small gesture as much as I understand theirs when they try english in my cache logs.

I don't care a bit about what the logs say but the cache page needs to make sense. Of course there are good caches that do have a couple inadvertent typos... :)

The following is from a local puzzle cache.... loved it.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch sutdy at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

That is how far I got. Once I realized it was more than a paragraph I gave up. It hurts my eyes. This would be the first cache on my ignore list.

I don't know about anyone else, but not being able to edit my posts leads to some of my slip ups.

I generally try to proofread my posts prior to hitting submit.

However, if a topic is moving really fast I will skip that step. Additionally, I just miss things from time to time.

If the error isn't that bad and I feel having the "message edited" at the bottom of my post or cache log will look worse, then I just let those errors slide.

If I really screw up on a cache log (especially if I posted the wrong log for a particular cache) then I will archive that log and post a new one.

If it's not a major screw up but enough to distract from the content, then I will edit the post and live with message at the bottom announcing to the world that I didn't preview before submitting.

Stupid is as stupid does. If you don't want to appear ignorant then YOU should take it upon yourself to learn basic grammar and spelling. Nobody is perfect but some of the kids now days are just pathetic. English as a second language is NOT a excuse if you are a US citizen.

Stupid is as stupid does. If you don't want to appear ignorant then YOU should take it upon yourself to learn basic grammar and spelling. Nobody is perfect but some of the kids now days are just pathetic. English as a second language is NOT a excuse if you are a US citizen.

Oh, the irony.

Those darn foreign kids.

Ah jist kaint unna stand whut all dee fus iz all aboot. Da why's of pronowwnz bother me I has alwheeze benn anti nownz. And adverbs heck I only wanted one verb and had know in-tent-shun of adding one more so why add-a-verb.

Hmmmmmm, I have the feeling some folks could care less about the rules or conventions of language, compounded by the cutting of corners involved in texting.

FWIW back in the day when I was hiring, those conventions mattered and indeed some folks went to the bottom of the pile.

However, given that this activity attracts and holds a wide range of folks the purists and semi purists could perhaps just loosen our shoelaces a bit. Toward the end of the trail some things become less important.

Geo Hugggggzzzzzzzzzzz to all

Ah jist kaint unna stand whut all dee fus iz all aboot. Da why's of pronowwnz bother me I has alwheeze benn anti nownz. And adverbs heck I only wanted one verb and had know in-tent-shun of adding one more so why add-a-verb.

Hmmmmmm, I have the feeling some folks could care less about the rules or conventions of language, compounded by the cutting of corners involved in texting.

FWIW back in the day when I was hiring, those conventions mattered and indeed some folks went to the bottom of the pile.

However, given that this activity attracts and holds a wide range of folks the purists and semi purists could perhaps just loosen our shoelaces a bit. Toward the end of the trail some things become less important.

Geo Hugggggzzzzzzzzzzz to all

These people aren't writing the shut down instructions for Three Mile Island. They are playing a game. So yes, I think we can cut 'em some slack.

I'll admit that I do get bent out of shape when I see grammatical and spelling errors in professionally published media such as newspapers and commercial websites.

I'm a bit more forgiving of forum and chat posts. The fluidity of the media carries with it the possibility of slip ups.

What I find most interesting is how posts complaining about grammatical errors often contain grammatical and spelling errors within.

Oh, the irony.

Isn't there some kind of "law" that says any spelling/grammar flame will include at least one spelling/grammar error?

edited to add:

Found it! It is, of course, Muphry's Law.

Edited by GeoGeeBee

Oh, the irony.

Isn't there some kind of "law" that says any spelling/grammar flame will include at least one spelling/grammar error?

edited to add:

Certainly seems to work tha way. Tee, Hee, Hee

Oh, the irony.

edited to add:

Which one did you find? Do I get two points for finding the second one?

I used to be the grammar police! Now, I mostly keep it to myself. Throughout my career, I've worked with people who are, technically, smarter than the average human, including myself. However, they almost universally have poor spelling/grammar skills. So, I've learned to pay more attention to the story rather than the poor delivery. It's helped me a lot!

I also agree with other responses on here. There are a number of reasons why the grammar and spelling may be poor, not the least of which is English may be their second language.

Happy hunting!

Oh, the irony.

edited to add:

On Fark.com we call this phenomenon "rotskying"

At work, we can't install plugins. In order to spell check, I would have to copy it to MS word, then spell check, then copy it back. Anyway, I almost never do that.

PS, for my highschool English, and Social Studies final exams, I used a computer that had spell check. I am quite sure that I would have failed otherwise.

Does your boss know you are writing up cache pages and logging finds while 'at work'?

I live in Canada and had to relearn a lot of the spelling (British) that I grew up with. Certain phrases/words too! They can mean something totally different, sometimes embarrassingly so...

Some of it I won't let go of - it is part of who I am. My biggest problem is my typing, so I have to preview everything...but glaring errors still sneak by!

Grammatically, this is one of the better forums that I read. Most of the other ones actually make me feel that I've gotten dumber by the time I'm done reading a few pages.

I used to be the grammar police! Now, I mostly keep it to myself. Throughout my career, I've worked with people who are, technically, smarter than the average human, including myself. However, they almost universally have poor spelling/grammar skills. So, I've learned to pay more attention to the story rather than the poor delivery. It's helped me a lot!

I also agree with other responses on here. There are a number of reasons why the grammar and spelling may be poor, not the least of which is English may be their second language.

Happy hunting!